Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 6 Next >>
Topic: Easy fixes to super problems...? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 March 2018 at 11:39pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Mike Norris, looking about online, variations on the Romita wetsuit do seem to have come back into style.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 March 2018 at 4:38am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Brian Hague wrote:
Robbie, the idea is not yours alone, and for the record, some of your "90% serious" emoticons and replies do not come off well either. Nonetheless, no offense was intended, so I do apologize.

Apology accepted, but I don't understand the comment. 90% serious? Have I said that more than once or twice? And emoticons? Well, yes I use those at times. Do not come off well? It's fine for folk to dislike my writing style, but there's a difference between me using emoticons - which MAY not be to some people's tastes - and describing someone's reply as asinine. Like I stated last night, asinine is a strong word and not one people would necessarily use to describe a person's comments in a real-life debate.

I just feel there's a better way to debate at times. On another forum, I questioned some of the Seventh Doctor's exploits/storytelling. Instead of someone saying "I disagree..." or putting a compelling argument forward, they told me I suffered from 'tunnel vision'. The use of words is important.
Back to Top profile | search

Adam Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 March 2018 at 8:57am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Who raised Kal-El, Adam? Was he just that amazing that all of America sighs and thinks what a clever little tot he must have been to have brought himself up so well? Public knowledge in drips and drabs would not be sufficient to forestall further questions of this extremely public figure who just happens to be more powerful than anything in our nuclear arsenal. There's a reason why information on our potential overlord is front page news in DC's America. That would include where he goes and how he spends his time when he's off the public radar. And whether he's telling us everything, which they know he is not.

All the guy ever does is save lives. Over and over again. Would people wonder who raised him? Sure. Would they care? Maybe. Too bad. Sure he's more powerful than a nuke -- and yet, he never kills anyone. Off the public radar? I don't remember if the general public are aware of the Fortress. I suspect so. (Is any government going to try to invade the Fortress? Good luck with that.)

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 March 2018 at 8:58am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I don`t mind emoticons, it`s sometimes hard to judge a
remark not meant to be taken seriously online, so at
least they remove doubt!

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 March 2018 at 9:34am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Exactly, Bill. When I've not used them on social media, or elsewhere, about 5% of the time, it means some might think you are being serious.

Brian is free to add me to his ignore list if the way I write/the way I express myself bothers him (I don't have anyone on my ignore list, but I would if someone's writing genuinely bothered me). I accepted his apology, but he had to express the view that the way I express myself "does not come off well". All I'll say is that no-one else has complained in my 10+ years here.

Edited by Robbie Parry on 05 March 2018 at 9:39am

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 05 March 2018 at 10:00am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Who raised Kal-El, Adam? Was he just that amazing that all of America sighs and thinks what a clever little tot he must have been to have brought himself up so well? Public knowledge in drips and drabs would not be sufficient to forestall further questions of this extremely public figure who just happens to be more powerful than anything in our nuclear arsenal. There's a reason why information on our potential overlord is front page news in DC's America. That would include where he goes and how he spends his time when he's off the public radar. And whether he's telling us everything, which they know he is not.

All the guy ever does is save lives. Over and over again. Would people wonder who raised him? Sure. Would they care? Maybe. Too bad. Sure he's more powerful than a nuke -- and yet, he never kills anyone. Off the public radar? I don't remember if the general public are aware of the Fortress. I suspect so. (Is any government going to try to invade the Fortress? Good luck with that.)

••

As I have noted on many an occasion, Superman has suffered almost from the begining from fans and writers and editors treating the characters as if everything is known inside the book that is known outside. This has only become worse, as those fans have gotten older, and less willing to suspend their disbelief.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 March 2018 at 10:05am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

That is true, Mr Byrne. And I was glad that you didn't do that during your tenure. I haven't read that many Superman tales in recent years, but it's disappointing when fans/writers/editors go down that road.

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 March 2018 at 11:21am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

It might be refreshing to have some kid, maybe, ask Superman if he has a house or gets to "not be Superman" sometimes.

It could be a way of reminding readers that only they are privy to all the hidden stuff in Superman's life.

Jabari Lamar
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 March 2018 at 9:37pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

John Byrne wrote:
As I have noted on many an occasion, Superman has suffered almost from the begining from fans and writers and editors treating the characters as if everything is known inside the book that is known outside

This reminds me of a conversation I once had with someone about how confusing, or silly, certain superhero names must be to the average person in their perspective comic-book universes. The biggest one being "Green Lantern." Why do people think those people in the green suits with the apparently magic rings call themselves that? Okay, they're wearing green rings that create green 3-D constructs. But where are the lanterns? Shouldn't they be called Green Ring? Might as well be Green Sofa for all the logic that makes.

We thought of several others, but the only one popping to my mind right now is Hourman. Why does that super-strong and fast crimefighter call himself "Hourman?" That measurement of time doesn't appear to have anything to do with his powers. Plus, if you were Hourman would you even want the general public, including criminals, to know that there's a specific time-limit to when your powers are working? That knowledge could be quite a liability.

Jabari Lamar
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 March 2018 at 9:57pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

For the record, I can totally accept that the identity that the majority of the public assumes that Superman does not have a secret identity. The lack of mask, or even gloves does make it seem like he's not hiding. 

Sure, I'd assume he has a real name, but I'd have no reason to think he's actively living among us, working some regular job under that name. And I would figure he just has some secret hideout where he rests. With his powers I would assume he could easily find plenty of places, whether it's the Antarctic, or the desert, or some island in the middle of the ocean, where he could camp out. Or maybe he sleeps on the moon (when the JLA had an HQ there, I could assume that's where he lives). 

I guess in a way I'm like Byrne's Lex Luthor. It would be hard for me to believe that someone with those powers would spend most of his days pretending to be a mere a human. Shoot, my drive home from work tonight took an extra half-hour longer than usual, due to a bunch of traffic both on the freeway and the streets. Why would I ever risk getting stuck in traffic driving somewhere if I could fly at the speed of light? 

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 March 2018 at 4:15am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Yes, apparently everyone in the DCU is like Byrne's Lex Luthor in this regard. And lots of readers besides. I guess I just need to take everything I read at face value. Or, I'm sorry; I meant, suspend my disbelief.

Jabari, your discussion with your friends is a common one in fandom, and I hope you don't mind my pointing out that it lacks an element of perspective. When these heroes were created, certain phrases and concepts were in common parlance that no longer are today. A green lantern mounted on a signal post along a railway track denoted safety and clear track ahead. A red one meant trouble. There were restaurants and inns that called themselves "The Green Lantern" back in the day, signalling to travelers that they could find safety and comfort there. Readers in the 1940's would likely have known this or asked Mom and Dad if they were curious. 

Hourman's full name was "Hourman, the Man of the Hour." "Man of the Hour" is still in use, but not as prevalently as it once was. Most readers then would have gotten that "Hourman" was a shortened, catchier version of the phrase. There isn't any clear indication therein that his powers will run out in that time. It's still unwise for him to play about with advertising it in such a sideways manner, but those super-heroes are a reckless lot.

Robbie, I appreciate the public announcement that you have granted permission  for me to add you my ignore list. I was going to ask, but gosh, this is so kind of you... You're sure it's okay, though? ;-)

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 March 2018 at 7:32am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Jabari Lamar wrote:
Sure, I'd assume he has a real name, but I'd have no reason to think he's actively living among us, working some regular job under that name. And I would figure he just has some secret hideout where he rests. With his powers I would assume he could easily find plenty of places, whether it's the Antarctic, or the desert, or some island in the middle of the ocean, where he could camp out. Or maybe he sleeps on the moon (when the JLA had an HQ there, I could assume that's where he lives).

Exactly. It's reasonable to think a DCU civilian would just presume Superman could fly to any number of mountains, sit in the Amazon rainforest or construct a HQ on any number of moons.

<< Prev Page of 6 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version