Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 18 Next >>
Topic: Another Shooting (Florida) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 26 February 2018 at 8:45am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

"Guns don't kill people, people kill people."

As noted elsewhere, I agree with this statement, fundamentally. The problem does not lie in the gun itself. Guns are not inherently bad, as words are not inherently bad.

However, in recent decades we have seen created in this country an atmosphere of paranoia, of fear, that overwhelms common sense, and drives some people to not only arm themselves, but arm themselves beyond any reasonable consideration of personal safety.

While we can argue that guns give power to the powerless, the problem has become who it is who is considered "powerless". And here we come to these social ciphers who are full of fear and race hatred, who feel their homes and persons are at risk not only from criminal elements, but from the government itself. Thus, they wrap themselves in the Second Amendment, and in so doing completely misinterpret it. As I have noted before, there is a very clear time limit built into the Amendment: the right to bear arms depends upon the necessity of a militia to preserve the security of the state. This has not been the case for a long, long time, and the Founding Fathers were smart enough to know that as the Nation evolved, such militias would become subordinate to standing armies, navies, and police forces.

It all turns on those two important words in the Second Amendment: "A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state…" Militias are no longer necessary, and neither is the "right" to bear arms.

Back to Top profile | search

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 February 2018 at 10:03am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Having a gun in the home increases a person's chance of being shot by 40%. In no way does possessing a firearm make anybody safer. A gun owner is statistically most likely to use their weapon on a member of their family. 
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 February 2018 at 10:28am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Well, David, if Marcio ever bothers to give me those stats he claims he read about, maybe I'll learn a thing or two about guns in the home and how it pertains to violence.

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 February 2018 at 10:28am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Eric Ladd, i think the answer to your question is pretty
simple, people are safer when nobody has a weapon.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 February 2018 at 10:54am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I came across this:

David Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 February 2018 at 11:07am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Lol, I must have read that this morning, because I almost wrote something about insurance rates. 
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 February 2018 at 11:15am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

One funny observation... as Mr. Byrne notes, strict (i.e., literal) interpretation of the Second Amendment indicates that it does not allow citizens to bear arms willy nilly.

But nay, some say; there has been a reinterpretation of the amendment so that it doesn't mean that it has to apply to militia men. Implicit in their interpretation is that bearing arms is equivalent to owning arms (which is an illogical conclusion.)

The ironic situation is that gun fanatics are relying on a re-interpretation of the Constitution. So why is there hew and cry about removing or repealing that amendment? Not only is there prior occurrence, but THEIR OWN AMENDMENT HAS ALREADY BEEN CHANGED.

Maybe we need to see how they react to that strict interpretation of the Second Amendment and see how THEY react.

And to be absolutely certain - teachers are not part of a militia. Maybe they need to be part of a guerilla force, because those second graders can be treacherous... :)

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 February 2018 at 12:34pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Even if the Second Amendment is read only applying to militias, almost every state's constitution has its own right to arms provision, only a few mentioning militias, all supporting a personal right to self-defense through arms either in the respective constitutions or as held by the respective state courts, and some with explicit individual rights without specific limitation. 

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 26 February 2018 at 12:40pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Then let the gun nuts claim state's rights and stop humping a Constitutional amendment that has not properly applied in almost two centuries. Then we can abolish the Second Amendment, and get the NRA's (expletives deleted).

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 26 February 2018 at 12:42pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Were you all aware, by the way, that the NRA has five million members. That's half as many people as live in New York.

Majority rule?

James Johnson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 February 2018 at 12:52pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Really?!?!?!? He would have rushed in to save these students?!?!?!?

Old "Bonespurs" himself!?!?!?!?

This is the shit that disturbs me the most. This guy is a flat out liar and everyone KNOWS THIS....  

He would have pulled a George Costanza!!!

......  you know what.....   it doesn't matter anymore....  it really doesn't..... 

..it's going to be a strange mid-term election season......  ...we're all fucked......

Edited by James Johnson on 26 February 2018 at 12:55pm

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 February 2018 at 12:58pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Trump's bone spurs and his cowardice proves him to be a liar, once again.

Everyday, he says something stupid.

-C!

Edited by Charles Valderrama on 26 February 2018 at 12:59pm
Back to Top profile | search | www

<< Prev Page of 18 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version