Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 19 Next >>
Topic: Superman Returns movie (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 April 2005 at 8:53am | IP Logged | 1  

Rob Hewitt wrote:

I always hated that.  18 years-so what happened to Clark kent all that time-just dropped off the face of the earth? No word to mother? No college?...

Clark attended Shuster college in Florida, along with Lana Lang, along with T.J. White, Perry White's (other?) son, and Andy McAllister. Also, there was a college-age Lex and his pal that attended the same college, but that evil Lex killed his pal and had surgery to appear older and look different so that he could fool Superboy and kill him. Apparently, Lex's memory must've been wiped at some point, since he didn't seem to know much about Superman in the Donner films. :-)

Actually, the 1988-1992 "Adventures of Superboy" syndicated TV series did loosely follow the movie continuity. At least, Jor-El and Lara were both presented as the movie versions, and the series was produced by the Salkinds.

You can find out a little more about the series here:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0094559/

http://www.geocities.com/dmwc/

And despite the comment left by a user on www.imdb.com , I liked most of the series (especially starting with season two). I was able to finally get all the episodes on VHS.

Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne
Robot Wrangler

Posted: 19 April 2005 at 9:28am | IP Logged | 2  

If Singer is basing this movie after Donner's, then the time on earth will be different than that of Krypton. I'm thinking of the scene where Clark is first in the Fortress of Solitude and is talking with Jor-El. Brando tells Clark at the end of his speech, that 18 of his earth years had passed in the short time they talked.

Wasn't it 12? And, in any case, this is not an indication that Krytonian time is different from Earth time, as we see Clark grow from about 18 to about 30 (during a "montage").

Problems arise from insufficient attention being paid by one part of the script to another. Jor-El says he has been dead for "many thousands of your years", but Superman tells Lois that Krypton exploded in 1948.

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 April 2005 at 9:59am | IP Logged | 3  

John Byrne wrote:

...Problems arise from insufficient attention being paid by one part of the script to another. Jor-El says he has been dead for "many thousands of your years", but Superman tells Lois that Krypton exploded in 1948.

I always (well, nearly always... I probably didn't think on it much as a child) interpreted what Lois saud to mean that was when Krypton's destruction was seen on Earth. I thought that it must be like how we can still see the light from a star that died long ago. I figured that Ka-El's rocket travelled through a time warp, or a black hole, or something, to make it to Earth quickly.

I was wondering, as I watched "Superman II" again the other night, why Jor-El would send Ka-El to Earth when the Phantom Zone prison was apparently going the same course.

Zaki Hasan
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 April 2005 at 10:26am | IP Logged | 4  

Matt Hawes wrote:

Is it just me, or does Brandon Routh's eyes appear to be blue in the pics we've seen of him in character as Clark Kent? In other photos, his eyes are brown. Since Superman is generally shown to have blue eyes (I think Dean Cain was the only exception --- I'm not sure about Kirk Alyn), I wonder if Bryan Singer had Routh wear contact lenses.

Or maybe I'm seeing things...

Routh has blue lenses for the movie.

Edited by Zaki Hasan on 19 April 2005 at 10:27am
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Steve Lyons
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 April 2005 at 10:37am | IP Logged | 5  

Of course, a 30 year old Superman was acceptable in the 1970s. Today, we will have (at least in this film) a Superman who is a year younger,IIRC, than the actor who plays Clark Kent in high school on TV.
Back to Top profile | search

Zaki Hasan
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 April 2005 at 11:14am | IP Logged | 6  

Steve Lyons wrote:
Of course, a 30 year old Superman was acceptable in the 1970s. Today, we will have (at least in this film) a Superman who is a year younger,IIRC, than the actor who plays Clark Kent in high school on TV.

At the time the original Superman flick was released, Chris Reeve was 25, which is how old Brandon Routh is right now.

Steve Lyons
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 April 2005 at 9:44pm | IP Logged | 7  

I know that, Zaki. I was referring to the irony of Tom Welling being older than the guy playing Superman. Twenty-something high school kids are hard to find, even this close to Indiana.

Zaki Hasan
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 April 2005 at 10:38pm | IP Logged | 8  

I think the record has to be for Gerard Christopher, who was 31 when he got the role of SuperBOY in 1989.

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 April 2005 at 11:05pm | IP Logged | 9  

Steve Lyons wrote:
...Twenty-something high school kids are hard to find, even this close to Indiana.

HEY!!!!

Steve Lyons
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 April 2005 at 11:17am | IP Logged | 10  

Sorry, Matt. Just a little cross-state humor for 'ya.

Jason Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 April 2005 at 11:56am | IP Logged | 11  

Matt Hawes wrote:

I was wondering, as I watched "Superman II" again the other night, why Jor-El would send Ka-El to Earth when the Phantom Zone prison was apparently going the same course.

Because the implication is that the Phantom Zone is hellish, which is why Ursa, Non and Zod (I think I got the names right) were screaming as they floated off in the Zone into space. And it took 30+ years for the PZ to get near Earth, while the trip for Kal-El was very, very short.

Dave Carr
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 April 2005 at 12:08pm | IP Logged | 12  

That's another thing.  It took (what looks like) around 2 years for Kal-El's ship to get to Earth, yet the PZ criminals get there in about 30 years, while never appearing to change speed. 

I've always inferred that the floating mirror-diamond was like a doorway to the Phantom Zone that crossed through different galaxies, and just happened to be passing within reach of the A-bomb's blast when it occurred.

I do wish, though, that Zod, Ursa, and Non had shown some kind of changes after spending 30 years in an environment described as "a kind of living death".

<< Prev Page of 19 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version