Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 19 Next >>
Topic: Superman Returns movie (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 April 2005 at 8:25am | IP Logged | 1  

I call Matt Reed "Reed," because of his enormous intellect & cosmic ray-given stretching ability!
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Lars Johansson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 April 2005 at 9:01am | IP Logged | 2  

Mr. Greenberg wrote:
"Greenberg?" Not very friendly, Lars. Or perhaps you'd prefer it if I referred to you as "Johansson?"

As Lars Johannson and I have not interacted with each other to any great extent here, I think it would have been more polite to refer to me by my full name, or as "Glenn G.", or even "Mr. Greenberg."

I want to apologize because I hurt you of course, and I am not going to explain anything away, it was probably incorrect and unfriendly. Let me show you this example anyway from http://www.samcci.comics.org/reviews/review001.htm

"...artist Steve Ditko, perhaps lacking Lee's facility with language and Kirby's dynamic artistry, nevertheless displayed a certain synthesis of both when he helped to create the single most fallible (and popular) of the Marvel stable of characters..."

In this text, the comic book authors (such as you) are first referred to by their full name, then by their last names. This is (I thought) equivalent to the [Glenn Greenberg wrote], then when I referred to something particular that you have written, such as with the statement, I used your last name. This system is used in Sweden as well, whether it's text exerpts from Greenberg, Lee, Kirby or Shakespeare.

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Bob Simko
Byrne Robotics Security
Negative Mod

Posted: 18 April 2005 at 9:02am | IP Logged | 3  

Glenn Greenberg wrote:
 Glenn Brown wrote:
 Glenn Greenberg wrote:
 Lars Johansson wrote:

Glenn Greenberg wrote:
I'm also glad that they decided to keep Martha Kent alive, and they couldn't do much better than casting Eva Marie Saint.

Martha Kent is alive in Superman the Movie, in Superman II she is probably still alive (at least I thought so), but in Superman III and IV she has passed away. Is she going to be alive here? There are also a lot of board members here expressing how much they dislike Superman III and IV, and I understand them. Anyway, does this "connection" with Greenberg's statement mean that the latter movies don't count anymore because they were "bad"?

Please explain. This is a big mystery to me and you all seem to know this very thoroughly.

(From now on I kneel not only to Zod but to Melissa's father.)

"Greenberg?" Not very friendly, Lars. Or perhaps you'd prefer it if I referred to you as "Johansson?"

Not sure if anything unfriendly or disrespectful should be taken from that.  I call Mike O'Brien by his last name whenever I refer to him on the board, and I've done it with Bob Simko too now that I think of it, and I like both of them. Very much, in fact, but that's another thread altogether...

I've also seen people call Matt "Reed" instead of by his first name with no ill will  attached. 

As Lars Johannson and I have not interacted with each other to any great extent here, I think it would have been more polite to refer to me by my full name, or as "Glenn G.", or even "Mr. Greenberg."

Might be a culture difference.  In my European business experiences, referring to people by last name only has been commonplace.  Threw me for a loop the first time, too.

Back to Top profile | search

Glenn Greenberg
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 April 2005 at 9:12am | IP Logged | 4  

Okay, no harm done. Let's just forget about it and move on.

Sam Karns
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 April 2005 at 2:20am | IP Logged | 5  

I think Bryan pushing this Super BABY concept is interesting, I would think he's following the current mythos of the character that Superman and Lois are married and they are following a natural step forward in reproduction. 

As for the news I'm reading here about a 20 year gap has past since Superman's return...  I hope it's not so.  But I am willing to give this film a chance than Batman Begins.  I want this film to work and gets promoted like how Tim Burton's Batman was in 1989.  This should be an event. 

Zaki Hasan
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 April 2005 at 2:32am | IP Logged | 6  

Sam Karns wrote:

I think Bryan pushing this Super BABY concept is interesting, I would think he's following the current mythos of the character that Superman and Lois are married and they are following a natural step forward in reproduction. 

As for the news I'm reading here about a 20 year gap has past since Superman's return...  I hope it's not so.  But I am willing to give this film a chance than Batman Begins.  I want this film to work and gets promoted like how Tim Burton's Batman was in 1989.  This should be an event. 

As far as we know, there isn't a twenty year gap between the time Superman disappeared and the time he returns.  All indications are that it's closer to six years.  This is comic book time, after all. 

As to this so-called "Super Baby," so far all we've heard is that the child in question is the Richard White character's son, not Superman's...the initial question was whether or not Lois was the mother or the step-mother (I'm leaning towards step-mother, personally).  So is it in fact Superman's child? I suppose it's possible, but I wonder if that's something that Warner Bros. would necessarily want to have happen to their corporate icon.  As far as I'm concerned, this one is strictly in the rumor category until we see something more definitive.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Zaki Hasan
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 April 2005 at 2:35am | IP Logged | 7  

Lars Johansson wrote:

In this text, the comic book authors (such as you) are first referred to by their full name, then by their last names. This is (I thought) equivalent to the [Glenn Greenberg wrote], then when I referred to something particular that you have written, such as with the statement, I used your last name. This system is used in Sweden as well, whether it's text exerpts from Greenberg, Lee, Kirby or Shakespeare.

Just for future reference, while that may work in an academic situation, in a forum such as this it might be construed as rude even if it's uninentional.

Sam Karns
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 April 2005 at 2:57am | IP Logged | 8  

JB's experiment worked so well to me, if this is Bryan's approach it will shake up audiences.  This is something hollywood should tackle, take the source material and expand on it.  Just don't give me Rubbersuits, batmobiles with large monster truck wheels, organic webbing, and sticky spider hairs growing from Tobey's palms.

John Staton
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 April 2005 at 4:28am | IP Logged | 9  

If Singer is basing this movie after Donner's, then the time on earth will be different than that of Krypton. I'm thinking of the scene where Clark is first in the Fortress of Solitude and is talking with Jor-El. Brando tells Clark at the end of his speech, that 18 of his earth years had passed in the short time they talked.

Rob Hewitt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 April 2005 at 7:04am | IP Logged | 10  

I always hated that.  18 years-so what happened to Clark kent all that time-just dropped off the face of the earth? No word to mother? No college?

Or did they somehow happen together. I know it was really just a shorthand way of getting him to be an adult.

Am I missing something?

Zaki Hasan
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 April 2005 at 8:13am | IP Logged | 11  

John Staton wrote:
If Singer is basing this movie after Donner's, then the time on earth will be different than that of Krypton. I'm thinking of the scene where Clark is first in the Fortress of Solitude and is talking with Jor-El. Brando tells Clark at the end of his speech, that 18 of his earth years had passed in the short time they talked.

I believe he says twelve years will have passed, which, assuming Clark is 18 when he leaves home, would make him thirty when he becomes Superman.

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 April 2005 at 8:41am | IP Logged | 12  

Is it just me, or does Brandon Routh's eyes appear to be blue in the pics we've seen of him in character as Clark Kent? In other photos, his eyes are brown. Since Superman is generally shown to have blue eyes (I think Dean Cain was the only exception --- I'm not sure about Kirk Alyn), I wonder if Bryan Singer had Routh wear contact lenses.

Or maybe I'm seeing things...

Back to Top profile | search | www

<< Prev Page of 19 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version