Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 19 Next >>
Topic: Superman Returns movie (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Robot Wrangler

Posted: 17 April 2005 at 4:56pm | IP Logged | 1  

I know it will seem like blasphemy to some, but (overall) I prefer the George Reeves SUPERMAN episodes to the Chrisopher Reeves SUPERMAN movies..

Reeves was the best Clark Kent, bar none. Reeve was, however, the best Superman. Imho.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Glenn Brown
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 April 2005 at 5:09pm | IP Logged | 2  

I really hope I'm wrong, but I have a bad feeling that this film is going to blow chunks.  Remember one thing: the X-Men films were successful in spite of Bryan Singer, not necessarily because of him.  Bryan has stated a lack of respect/regard/understanding of the whole comic book mythos, and something about the anachronistic way Routh is made up, as well as other rumored details leaking out from the early production (the baby, the reinclusion of the "death" plot) has me wondering just what the hell is going on. 

I was initially very jazzed about it, but now...not so much.

BTW, my comments about Singer's attitude (before anyone says "No way!  How do you know?") are based on documented interviews he's given about how he didn't know anything about comics while growing up, as well as conversations with a good friend who storyboarded on X1 and confirmed the sentiment that Bryan actually (!) hated the concept of superheroes.  Credit Tom DeSanto and Lauren Shuler-Donner for much of what was good about the first two X films.

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

John Staton
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 April 2005 at 6:51pm | IP Logged | 3  

Looks better than the Batman film. Imho.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Glenn Greenberg
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 April 2005 at 7:45pm | IP Logged | 4  

Lars Johansson wrote:

Glenn Greenberg wrote:
I'm also glad that they decided to keep Martha Kent alive, and they couldn't do much better than casting Eva Marie Saint.

Martha Kent is alive in Superman the Movie, in Superman II she is probably still alive (at least I thought so), but in Superman III and IV she has passed away. Is she going to be alive here? There are also a lot of board members here expressing how much they dislike Superman III and IV, and I understand them. Anyway, does this "connection" with Greenberg's statement mean that the latter movies don't count anymore because they were "bad"?

Please explain. This is a big mystery to me and you all seem to know this very thoroughly.

(From now on I kneel not only to Zod but to Melissa's father.)

"Greenberg?"

Not very friendly, Lars. Or perhaps you'd prefer it if I referred to you as "Johansson?"
Back to Top profile | search

Matt Reed
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 17 April 2005 at 7:52pm | IP Logged | 5  

Could be worse, Glenn.  He could have called you Snookums!

Oh wait.  That's Pruitt.

James Hampton
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 April 2005 at 8:12pm | IP Logged | 6  

It's possible that these pictures we've been shown are from a flashback sequence explaining the day that Superman left. In that case, it would make sense to have him look like the Superman II Clark Kent.

Al Flores
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 April 2005 at 8:26pm | IP Logged | 7  

Plot Summary: "He'll begin in his late 20s. He lost his powers in Superman II and now he has the powers back. But something has happened because he's been away for a long time."

"We're taking off from the first two Superman films with Christopher Reeve. We use his history and then move on with big twists and great special effects.

"We're not going to do the origin story again."

Bryan Singer reveals that the movie will feature a return of Superman of some sorts, and not a complete reimagining. He also went on to reveal that there may be references to the Christopher Reeve movies and maybe even scenes from the other movies. "It puts the first films in a kind of vague history. So what it doesn't do is tread over the 1978 Richard Donner film, it doesn't tread over 'Smallville.' It elaborates on the existence of Superman in the world in a history. He's out of the culture and then he returns."

Bryan Singer's Video Diary:

any thoughts on this? very confusing dont you think?

Simon Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 April 2005 at 8:46pm | IP Logged | 8  

Hello everyone, Mr Byrne. Before I start I'd just like to say to John that I've been a fan of his work since I was 10 years old when Man of Steel was published. Regarding this new film though I can't understand the problem people have with the basic premise. It's pretty clear that the film is taking its stylistic cues from Donner's original, meaning that Kryptonian technology will look the same, the Fortress etc, but that doesn't mean that Superman's first appearance was in the 70's. It's just been retroactivley pushed forward.  Superman the Movie, for me at least, is the ultimate version of the character so I definitley approve of the way this new movie is heading. There's no point in filming the origin all over again because it was done perfectly the first time around, that whole part of the film is timeless. How do you top Brando as Jor-El? As far as Clark never looking like the current crop of photos, well he sure did in Birthright and it makes the disguise even more plausible in real life.

Glenn Brown
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 April 2005 at 12:49am | IP Logged | 9  

Glenn Greenberg wrote:
 Lars Johansson wrote:

Glenn Greenberg wrote:
I'm also glad that they decided to keep Martha Kent alive, and they couldn't do much better than casting Eva Marie Saint.

Martha Kent is alive in Superman the Movie, in Superman II she is probably still alive (at least I thought so), but in Superman III and IV she has passed away. Is she going to be alive here? There are also a lot of board members here expressing how much they dislike Superman III and IV, and I understand them. Anyway, does this "connection" with Greenberg's statement mean that the latter movies don't count anymore because they were "bad"?

Please explain. This is a big mystery to me and you all seem to know this very thoroughly.

"Greenberg?"

Not very friendly, Lars. Or perhaps you'd prefer it if I referred to you as "Johansson?"

Not sure if anything unfriendly or disrespectful should be taken from that.  I call Mike O'Brien by his last name whenever I refer to him on the board, and I've done it with Bob Simko too now that I think of it, and I like both of them. Very much, in fact, but that's another thread altogether...

I've also seen people call Matt "Reed" instead of by his first name with no ill will  attached. 

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Glenn Greenberg
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 April 2005 at 6:31am | IP Logged | 10  

Glenn Brown wrote:
 Glenn Greenberg wrote:
 Lars Johansson wrote:

Glenn Greenberg wrote:

"Greenberg?" Not very friendly, Lars. Or perhaps you'd prefer it if I referred to you as "Johansson?"

Not sure if anything unfriendly or disrespectful should be taken from that.  I call Mike O'Brien by his last name whenever I refer to him on the board, and I've done it with Bob Simko too now that I think of it, and I like both of them. Very much, in fact, but that's another thread altogether...

I've also seen people call Matt "Reed" instead of by his first name with no ill will  attached. 

As Lars Johannson and I have not interacted with each other to any great extent here, I think it would have been more polite to refer to me by my full name, or as "Glenn G.", or even "Mr. Greenberg."

Rob Hewitt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 April 2005 at 7:28am | IP Logged | 11  

Rob Hewitt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 April 2005 at 7:34am | IP Logged | 12  

Supposed to be a teaser, with special effects, for Batman Begins and CHarlie and the Cholocate Factory, with th trailer with Harry Potter and King Kong.

At least that is the rumor-that they will be selling this all out for a year,

Also rumors Hugh jackman in flashback sequences as Jonathan Kent.  This sounds unlikely but who knows.

<< Prev Page of 19 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version