Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 19 Next >>
Topic: Superman Returns movie (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 April 2005 at 5:26pm | IP Logged | 1  

www.brandonrouth.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=44&p os=1

this is a video of filming,stick with it till the end, and see routh running through the street,with the Superman music in the background.

its really quite exciting!

Gerry

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Al Flores
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 April 2005 at 6:25pm | IP Logged | 2  

Nice stuff.
Someone remind me of way Singer and crew didnt wont to do the next xmen movie?
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Wayne Osborne
Byrne Robotics Member
Manhunter

Posted: 16 April 2005 at 10:03pm | IP Logged | 3  

I think he looks terrible as Clark Kent. Chris Reeve while playing
Clark as normal at least had that great jawline and the needed size
under his street clothes. This guy looks like a Saturday Night Live
skit version of Clark Kent. Pasty face and goofy hair. And yes, his
upper lip does look waxed.

Tom Welling would have been a better choice. (imho of course)

WO
Back to Top profile | search

Thomas Moudry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 April 2005 at 10:29pm | IP Logged | 4  

I think Routh looks great as Clark Kent, and I'm encouraged by pretty much everything I've read and seen.

Doug Jones
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 April 2005 at 11:59pm | IP Logged | 5  

Al Flores wrote:
Nice stuff.
Someone remind me of way Singer and crew didnt wont to do the next xmen movie?

They couldn't. Fox wanted X-Men 3 to get into production this year for a 2006 release; Warner Bros. wanted the same for Superman.

This guy's resemblance to Reeve is remarkable. I'm glad they didn't go with Tom Welling, whose deer-in-the-headlights look doesn't say "Superman" at all to me, and who carries too much "Smallville" baggage.

But having said that, I really hate the premise of the film, which seems to carry a lot of baggage of its own. Superman's left earth for six years? The first two movies count but the following two don't? For God's sake, how are we supposed to just forget about Richard Pryor's supercomputer, Nuclear Man, and Superman's Restore-the-Great-Wall-of-China-brick-by-brick vision?

Gregg Allinson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 April 2005 at 12:54am | IP Logged | 6  

Doug Jones wrote:
For God's sake, how are we supposed to just forget about Richard Pryor's supercomputer, Nuclear Man, and Superman's Restore-the-Great-Wall-of-China-brick-by-brick vision?

Good point.  I've been trying to forget about Superman III and IV for decades now, but I still can't.

Funny story:  a few years ago, I ordered Superman II on DVD through the comic shop I worked at.  They dutifully gave me Superman III.  A co-worker (who went on to become my roommate in 2001-2002 and is still one of my best friends) and I agreed that one would have to be criminally insane to want to own Superman III on DVD.

Ed Deans.
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 April 2005 at 1:34am | IP Logged | 7  

While I like the logo, those pictures of Brandon Routh make me wince.  I'm honestly not sure what to think about this production. However, my spider sense is ringing in my ears...

Edit to add... Perhaps too much so, for me, George Reeves *is* Superman.

Edited by Ed Deans. on 17 April 2005 at 1:37am

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 April 2005 at 10:52am | IP Logged | 8  

Yup.  I know it will seem like blasphemy to some, but (overall) I prefer the George Reeves SUPERMAN episodes to the Chrisopher Reeves SUPERMAN movies...
Back to Top profile | search | www

Rich Henderson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 April 2005 at 11:08am | IP Logged | 9  

Glenn Greenberg wrote:
. I was hoping that plotline was
jettisoned once Jon Peters lost control of the project.

I'm not sure how thick his involvement is but he is still attached to this movie and probably is the reason the "death" is still there. Let's just hope Superman doesn't have a gay robot taking care of the Fortress of Solitude and that the voice of Brainiac is not female.

Lars Johansson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 April 2005 at 12:48pm | IP Logged | 10  

Glenn Greenberg wrote:
I'm also glad that they decided to keep Martha
Kent alive, and they couldn't do much better than
casting Eva Marie Saint.

Martha Kent is alive in Superman the Movie, in Superman II she is probably still alive (at least I thought so), but in Superman III and IV she has passed away. Is she going to be alive here? There are also a lot of board members here expressing how much they dislike Superman III and IV, and I understand them. Anyway, does this "connection" with Greenberg's statement mean that the latter movies don't count anymore because they were "bad"?

Please explain. This is a big mystery to me and you all seem to know this very thoroughly.

(From now on I kneel not only to Zod but to Melissa's father.)

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Rich Henderson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 April 2005 at 2:15pm | IP Logged | 11  

Lars Johansson wrote:

[mean that the latter movies don't count anymore because they were "bad"?

Well, no, not because they were bad but because they had no connection whatsoever to Richard Donner. Singer's interest in the film was sparked from having worked with Donner early in Singer's career. Although there will probably be no indication on film, I'd suspect Singer looks at this as a "tribute" to Donner.

John Byrne
Robot Wrangler

Posted: 17 April 2005 at 4:54pm | IP Logged | 12  

I love that Singer is maintaining the continuity of the Christopher Reeve movies. I think Brandon Routh looks really good as Clark--very much in the Chris Reeve mold.

Wayne's comment about "Saturday Night Live" points up what may well be my greatest misgivings about this movie (and, frankly, there are many things about which I have misgivings). The actor looks as if he is made up to resemble Christopher Reeve in the previous movies -- but it has been 20 years since the previous movies. Has no time passed? Is the movie set in the past? Or -- and here we come to my "Brady Bunch" reference -- is Superman "returning" looking as he did 20 years ago and expecting people not to notice? What is the time frame? "Comicbook time" works in, well, comicbooks -- but movies? When the first Pierce Brosnan Bond filmed opened with an action sequence and then cut to an onscreen legend saying "Nine Years Later" my immediate reaction was "Brosnan wasn't Bond nine years ago."

I don't get at all what this new Superman movie is "selling".

Oh -- and I don't think this actor looks anything like any Clark Kent we have seen in the comics.

Back to Top profile | search | www

<< Prev Page of 19 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version