Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 19 Next >>
Topic: Superman Returns movie (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 April 2005 at 1:19pm | IP Logged | 1  

Sam Karns wrote:

In chapter 33 of Superman DvD, Hackman introduces himself as LuTHOR to Clark through frequency.  In Chapter 34, it is Superman who pronounces Luthor's name wrong.  Chapter 35, Superman pronounces the name correctly, but Hackman pronounces one of his cities Lutherville.  That doesn't count to me because he's just simply saying the city not his name. In the same chapter Superman says "ER" again, and in Chapt. 36 he says "OR" and then one cut later he says "ER".

LOL!!! Unbelievable!!! LOL!!!

In Chapter 43, Superman brings Luthor and Otis to prison.  Hackman introduces himself as LuthER but so does Otis.  Was this a sly way of making his criminal record written wrong or was it a hollywood mispronounciation?

I think it's just a way of saying it really doesn't matter.  Either way works.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Sam Karns
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 April 2005 at 1:23pm | IP Logged | 2  

Curious, Zaki, how do you prefer to pronounce the character's name? 
Back to Top profile | search

Zaki Hasan
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 April 2005 at 1:30pm | IP Logged | 3  

Sam Karns wrote:
Curious, Zaki, how do you prefer to pronounce the character's name? 

To be honest, I've found myself saying it both ways over the years.  I really don't think there's a hard right or wrong on how Lex's surname is pronounced, just based on the preponderance of various media wherein the name is said both ways.  LOIS & CLARK, SMALLVILLE, SUPERBOY, and to an extent the Reeve films did it one way, and SUPERMAN: TAS, ATOM MAN VS. SUPERMAN, and possibly the radio show did it another.

Sam Karns
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 April 2005 at 1:46pm | IP Logged | 4  

I'm a stickler in pronouncing people's name right because I can understand how much it suck when people pronounce the person's involved name incorrectly. 

Off topic-- kinda-- in ST: TNG's 1st season there were mix up in pronouncing Data's name and finally it was addressed in the "The Child" his name is DAta. 

The cartoons appear to pronounce it correctly, but the live action shows tend to pronounce it wrong, but what else is new when it involves the live action shows.  They always get it wrong.  But I think Bryan will get it right he's a smart man and he won't let me down. 

If only the Smallville bald man pronounced his name right I would have watch the soap opera with Bo Duke and movie Lana Lang. 

Sam Karns
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 April 2005 at 1:48pm | IP Logged | 5  

Craig Ashforth wrote:
Yup- just checked my copy of Atom Man vs. Superman and Lyle Talbot definitely pronounces it Luthawr.

LUTHAWR.  Oh MY SHAKAREE!!! LOL!!!

I'm glad they had the brains to pronounce it right.

Edited by Sam Karns on 26 April 2005 at 1:56pm

Zaki Hasan
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 April 2005 at 2:14pm | IP Logged | 6  

Sam Karns wrote:

If only the Smallville bald man pronounced his name right I would have watch the soap opera with Bo Duke and movie Lana Lang. 

That seems like a silly reason not to watch the show.

Especially when there are so many other, better reasons not to watch the show.

Sam Karns
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 April 2005 at 2:36pm | IP Logged | 7  

It is silly, but it's what kept me away from the show and it's been on for sometime now.  I really don't care to play catch up to a show I don't care about.

There are other programs I can watch and that show I was just not interested in, I prefer the show LOST at this time.  My roommate has tried to get me involved--even offered his collection of dvd's to watch and I told him I'm not interested.  I'm glad Bryan is distancing himself from that teen soap opera because if he did I would have to ketch up on episodes.  I would not do that and wouldn't give the film a chance.

Kudos to Bryan Singer.

Rob Hewitt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 April 2005 at 2:36pm | IP Logged | 8  

How about Han (as in Hand) Han (as in Bon) Leia (as in Lay) Leia (as in Lee-a).

I have also heard people say Bubba Fett

Sam Karns
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 April 2005 at 2:49pm | IP Logged | 9  

Weird how that has happened in Star Wars.  Leia calls him Hon in the beginning of ESB and later after Lando betrays Han, Chewy strangles him as Leia pronounces Han as (as in HAND).

Lucas has always been loose on pronounciation.  In interviews he's pronounced Christopher Lee's character as (DOH-KOO) but no one in the films pronounce his name that way.

As for Han Solo--Lucas pronounces the name Han (as in HAND).

No one pronounces THOR as (THER) it shouldn't be too hard to pronounce LuTHOR correctly.

Edited by Sam Karns on 26 April 2005 at 7:38pm

Zaki Hasan
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 April 2005 at 3:02pm | IP Logged | 10  

Sam Karns wrote:

Weird how that has happened in Star Wars.  Leia calls him Hon in the beginning of ESB and later after Lando betrays Han, Chewy strangles him as Leia pronounces Han as (as in HAND).

She's just a sponge, Leia is.  She gets near Grand Moff Tarkin and all of a sudden she has a now-you-hear-it, now-you-don't British accent.

Zaki Hasan
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 April 2005 at 3:05pm | IP Logged | 11  

Sam Karns wrote:

It is silly, but it's what kept me away from the show and it's been on for sometime now.  I really don't care to play catch up to a show I don't care about.

This is the year I officially gave up on Smallville.  It's gotten so dense (both in the sense of being bogged down in continuity as well as just being stupid) that I've thrown in the towel.  It's too bad the good stuff (Clark and Lex, Lex and his dad, Clark and his parents) is costantly overshadowed by the bad stuff (Lana and...well, anyone), but yeah, I'm glad the new flick isn't going to be related to the show.  Fresh start, and all that.

Rob Hewitt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 26 April 2005 at 3:12pm | IP Logged | 12  

I haven't watched Smallville much this year because I haven't had a chance.  Is it really that bad? I was enjoying the show-I forget whether it was last season or the season before that, but it ended on such a high note, with so many cliffhangers, I loved it.

<< Prev Page of 19 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version