The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 5 Next >>
Topic: Caring About Superboy’s Exploits Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 January 2018 at 6:32am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Erik Larsen tweeted this:

I couldn't disagree more.

For me, reading a comic is about living in the moment and suspending disbelief.

I didn't read many Superboy comics as a kid because, quite simply, the title never appeared on my corner shop shelves. But I did read some via reprints. And there was tension.

For me, entertainment is about living in the moment. And that doesn't just apply to younger versions of characters. We could break it down in many different ways.

US wrestling is certainly one. Popular 80s star Hulk Hogan was forever battling monsters and giants. At that time, he always vanquished the big, bad wolf (e.g. Andre the Giant). Deep down, we knew the superheroic wrestler would vanquish the bad guys. But by living in the moment, I was able to suspend disbelief and say to myself, "You know, maybe this is the moment in which Hulk Hogan gets defeated."

Films are the same. Basil Rathbone's Sherlock Holmes was locked in a crate in one 40s film. It looked hopeless. It felt hopeless. I watched this as part of the Rathbone Holmes boxset. So I knew there were further adventures to come, but at that time, it did appear grim.

And it's the same with comics. Not just with younger versions. Batman was locked in some pretty inescapable traps at time (or so it would seem). Yet I was able to suspend disbelief.

So I sort of have trouble understanding how people can feel that Superboy comics were devoid ot tension. A tense fictional world will always be hopeless if we allow it. Again, here's a film example: I watched GOLDFINGER, knowing that there were further films made, but that scene with him strapped to the table as a laser got closer to him, well...

Edited by Robbie Parry on 30 January 2018 at 6:33am
Back to Top profile | search

Kevin Brown
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 January 2018 at 7:20am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Unfortunately, Larsen is correct.  (I hate saying that.)  But I knew there was never any real threat of danger for Superboy because he does become Superman. Ditto for the supporting cast.  The only ones who were truly in danger or were expendable were the characters who appeared for the first time in any given story.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 January 2018 at 7:47am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

But I knew there was never any real threat of danger for Superboy because he does become Superman. 

I appreciate the viewpoint, but couldn't we apply that to characters who aren't in prequels? 

James Bond? Batman? He-Man? There's always tension. And let's be honest, we know Bond isn't going to be killed off, but there is still tension. With suspension of disbelief, I always felt quite tense whenever Indiana Jones was in a trap. Again, I didn't see those films until the late 80s, part of a trilogy boxset. Things seemed grim in TEMPLE OF DOOM even though I know he'd survive it.

With suspension of disbelief, I feel the same can apply to a younger version of the character. 

Edited by Robbie Parry on 30 January 2018 at 7:49am

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 January 2018 at 7:52am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I agree with what Kurt Busiek wrote in response to Erik Larsen's comments:

"... Superboy’s world just wasn’t very grim. No one reading it worried that someone would die. Even bad guys pretty much just went to jail.The threats the Superboy would be killed by Kryptonite, we mainly wanted to see how he’d get out of it....."
Back to Top profile | search | www

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 January 2018 at 8:11am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Not everything has to be THE WALKING DEAD.

I didn't read SUPERBOY because I wanted to be on the edge of my seat about his fate--same thing with the present GOTHAM TV show (or even YOUNG SHELDON)--no, the appeal for this kind of thing is to see how a favorite character was when he was young--how he BECAME the present-day hero.  I was amazed at how many great moments of foreshadowing SMALLVILLE was able to squeeze into practically every episode.

SUPERBOY was a special case since the Legion of Super-Heroes had pretty much taken over the series by the time I got there (though I did buy when he got his solo series again), and, while Superboy was "unkillable" (though he eventually did suffer a demise, didn't he?) and set in the past, ANYTHING could happen to any member of the Legion, and that series was set in the future, making IT the only DC series where even the Earth could be destroyed.

In fact, I cared not a whit about the "Superboy" in a leather jacket or the "Superboy" that turned out to be the love clone of Superman and Luthor!  (Were they the same character?  I don't even know.)  The ONLY reason for a Superboy to exist is for him to be the young Superman in "untold tales."

Once upon a time, SUPERBOY was in the top 5 sellers and was more popular than SPIDER-MAN.  With the trappings of Superman and the high school drama of early Spider-Man, Superboy actually had (has?) the potential to be the most popular super-hero!  I think it was a mistake to remove him from existence and to keep him out of existence all these years.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 30 January 2018 at 8:22am | IP Logged | 6 post reply

This is a point I have been making for about fifty years!! I even named it, "Superboy Syndrome". It refers to any story showing past exploits of a character or characters, and trying to build suspense out of their chances of survival.

(This was why, on HIDDEN YEARS, I took the approach of challenging the readers to guess not IF the X-MEN would survive, but HOW.)

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 January 2018 at 8:32am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Yes, the HOW is important. It's the journey for me, not the destination.

I saw the INDIANA JONES films for the first time around 1989. I know TEMPLE OF DOOM was a prequel. I quite enjoyed moments in it, although it's not my favourite film in that franchise. When Jones was trapped in an inescapable trap, it was gripping.

I think the HOW has been lost. I saw the Bond film FOR YOUR EYES ONLY at the cinema. The pre-credits scene sees Bond in a helicopter that has been taken over by Blofeld. It looked pretty bad. I know more was to come - this was the pre-credits scene, after all - but it was no less gripping as Bond hung from the helicopter and Blofeld toyed with him.

I guess, like I stated earlier, it's about living in the moment and suspending disbelief. 

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 30 January 2018 at 8:41am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

"... Superboy’s world just wasn’t very grim. No one reading it worried that someone would die..."

••

Eight year old me did. Sometimes even when I reread the same stories. I had to be SURE he was okay.

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 January 2018 at 10:36am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Another reply says, "Do you know that Superman and Superboy are 2 completely different characters?"

To me, this is a bigger problem with DC than knowing the broad brushstrokes about a pre-determined fate.

Robbie wrote: "James Bond? Batman? He-Man? There's always tension"
I don't remember He-Man being all that tense :)

It's worth noting that there's a certain section of viewers/readers that like knowing everything will turn out fine. 

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 January 2018 at 10:50am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

He-Man wasn't that tense, but Skeletor certainly seemed to want to destroy everything and anyone indiscriminately! "KILL HE-MAN!" ;-)

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 January 2018 at 12:14pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

It`s not the destination it`s the journey!
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 January 2018 at 12:18pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

The He-Man cartoon was a bit like Roadrunner, in that for the first few stories you think the antagonist might succeed, but you eventually realise there is a certain inevitability to the outcome. With He-Man a sense of 'we've been here before' was exacerbated by the re-use of certain pieces of animation by Filmation (often within the same episode!).

Page of 5 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version