Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 17 Next >>
Topic: GET OVER IT!! Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 27 January 2018 at 12:29pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

I came across a blogger discoursing at length about why he hates my Superman. Hey! No news there. Lots of people are in that boat.

Here's the thing, tho: the blog was from 2011. I left Superman in 1989. TWENTY-TWO YEARS EARLIER. 90% of what I did has been expunged.

That's a big chunk of what's wrong with these self-appointed "critics" right there.

Back to Top profile | search

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 January 2018 at 1:11pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

It reaches a point where you think WHY?! Because it's a person using up valuable energy that could be put to better use.

Like you said, it's been expunged. What is he gaining from blogging about a series you left many, many years ago?

Thomas Woods
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 January 2018 at 1:41pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

People love hate
Back to Top profile | search | www

Thomas Woods
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 January 2018 at 1:42pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

That is the only Superman I like.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 January 2018 at 2:56pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Americans may not know this, but our host's MOS mini-series and the ongoing stuff was reprinted in the UK in the title SUPERMAN MONTHLY. This was a title published by London Editions Magazines. LEM had the licence to reprint DC stuff in the UK from the 80s up until about 1994.

And the letters in those issues were very positive about our host's Superman work.

Petter Myhr Ness
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 January 2018 at 3:32pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Pretty much the same thing here, Robbie - we had a monthly Superman title. Aside from a couple of years in the 50ies, it ran consecutively from 1966 - 1991. I mention it because JB's run started a bit later here (1987) and ended in 1990.

So basically, the title was cancelled permanently just a year after they ran out of JB stories.  

Robert Shepherd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 January 2018 at 3:53pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

JB, what did you actually change about Superman? All I can recall (or think I recall) was that you wanted his power level to drop down. He was still the strongest, toughest, hombre around, but he couldn't lift a planet. And you changed the way his heat vision worked - more like microwaves instead of a heat blast.

I do remember Lex Luthor undergoing a change in concept, but that's all my memory can retrieve.

With that being said, I can't remember anything about your Superman that wasn't inline with the core character. He felt like "Superman" to me. in fact, the thing I like about all your characters or mini-reboots was you used (comic book)logic and real science where ever plausible.

So I'm surprised there was anything for anyone to sink their teeth into -  anything to actually hate.

Edited by Robert Shepherd on 27 January 2018 at 3:54pm
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Adam Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 January 2018 at 9:29pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

"John Byrne made all those stories I loved for years non-canonical!"

"John Byrne is responsible for Curt Swan losing work!"

"John Byrne is responsible for lots of other bad things that were actually decisions made by Dick Giordano and Jeanette Kahn!"

"John Byrne is why my girlfriend left me and my car died!"

You get the idea. 

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 January 2018 at 10:28pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

If this fan had a page about the recent new 52 Superman which was kind of awful (as even DC must have thought since they killed him and brought back your Superman, or what was left of him anyway) I'd understand where he was coming from, but, yeah a two decades plus story that, IMO, actually improved the character and got me into Superman in a way I'd previously only been into Marvel comics and Batman at DC, I don't get. For whatever reason, this comes to mind: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUL7q8eyig8

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 January 2018 at 12:07am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

The internet is full of contrarian attention seekers.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Robert Shepherd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 January 2018 at 2:09am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Adam...you missed my point, so I must have not been clear. I wasn't commenting on, or asking about any of the rumor mill JB haters, I was commenting only on my confusion on why anyone would hate JBs Superman when as far as I can recall, any changes were rather minor and very logical.

Now that I'm thinking on it more, was this the same time Superboy was dropped, albeit temporarily?

Maybe your first point does hit the mark for the haters.

Edited by Robert Shepherd on 28 January 2018 at 2:10am
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 28 January 2018 at 11:08am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

People feel a need to make it about themselves. They don't say, "John Byrne's Superman was terrible and here's why..." They say, "I hated John Byrne's Superman! I think it was stupid!" There provide no good reasons, but they have a venue to be seen and heard. And they can defend their tirades by simple naysaying of everything that opposes them. ("This isn't an argument...")

Pre-weblogs - geez, pre-letter boards - people had no outlet that was anonymous, or at least impersonal. If someone was at a comic con and stood up to state an opinion ("The Invisible Girl is useless and they should kill her off!"), they were subject to public humiliation and derision. That hurts. Posting on a message board means that, even if someone laughs, the poster doesn't have to hear it and can be confident (if mistaken) that thousands agree with him.

It's not a social life; it's not even a good substitute for a social life - but it's an outlet to be contrary, angry, and filled with dutch courage.

Page of 17 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version