Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 2 Next >>
Topic: Classic stories from... THE OTHER SIDE! Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 January 2018 at 8:31am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Someone suggested a keen idea. DC and Marvel both have remarkable story events. Take any one or two classica that you like (e.g., "Born Again", "Hard Driving Heroes", etc.) and switch it to characters from another company.

You surely don't have to restrict it to just DC or Marvel (e.g., Jimmy Olsen in the "normalman" storyline) but please limit it to two sagas at most. Also, try to keep it in the spirit of the original. That is to say, if you pick the Cap-Wolf story, don't say you're using the Doom Patrol instead. Try to keep it one hero to one hero, one team to one team, etc. You know what I mean. Don't be a prat. :)

Incidentally, I think we should henceforth refer to this as the Robbie Parry rules; he always states them so clearly and concisely.

I would like to see the Avengers-Defenders war, but with the satellite era Justice League against the New Teen Titans. Actually, just the chapter of Robin vs. Batman is kind of exciting to me.

And to go to a preposterous extreme on the other side... I'd be really interested in the Doom Patrol handling the Dark Negative Man saga. The Brain finds a way to overload Negative Man's powers, with the intent that one day, Larry Trainor will release his energy form... and it will cause an explosion, killing the rest of the Doom Patrol. To cover up this plan, he creates a deception by having Madame Rouge, treated to resist radioactivity, seduce Larry in disguise. Hilarity ensues.

Oh, just one more because A) it's my topic, and B) it's fully described in four words. "Bat-demon in a bottle."

What sagas (even failures) would you like to see handled by the other company?

Back to Top profile | search

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 January 2018 at 8:44am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

The Robbie Parry rule? I am honoured. :)

I'd like to see "Maximum Carnage" but with Batman and Joker instead.

And I'd like to see "The Death of Superman" but with Spider-Man instead.

I hope I've made sense of your rules, Eric. 

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 January 2018 at 8:50am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

They're YOUR rules, Robbie. :) And yes, what you put here is exactly what I'm thinking of.

"The Death of Spider-Man", eh? And then, we'd get Spider-Woman, Six-armed Spider-Man, Spider-Flash Thompson, and Spider-Man 3000... Kang's agent?

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 January 2018 at 9:24am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Now you're talking, Eric! 

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 January 2018 at 12:16pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I would LOVE to see Captain America and the Falcon do their own take on the "Hard Travelling Heroes" story line/era!

And how about the Creeper in the Lee/Colan run of Daredevil?  (Sorry, I don't exactly want to call it "The Mike Murdock Saga"!)

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 January 2018 at 12:44pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Celestial Madonna Saga

A dawn star appears over The Hall of Justice. Signaling the Celestial Madonna lies within.
Drawing old JLA nemesis Epoch, with a time manipulating plan, to capture her. But it seems Epoch has a rival, Darkseid has his own plans to be the Madonna's mate.
So who is the Madonna?
Black Canary? Wonder Woman? Or another?

Ed Love
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 January 2018 at 1:38pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

I remember one day imagining what if instead of X-men, Claremont and Byrne were hired to do the JSA and did largely the same stories. Instead of Marvel Girl becoming Phoenix, it's the GA Hawkgirl. The Atom would be the stand-in for the Wolverine portions, and others mix and match to fit. The Helfire Club would be the former members of the Injustice Society with Brainwave playing the Mastermind role. Of course the Dark Phoenix Saga would then end with the full JSA vs. LSH.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 January 2018 at 6:20pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Doug, I'm guessing Jayna; her marriage to the Cotati (the representative of an alien world's "Green") would bring together the animal and plant kingdoms of two worlds...

Ed, there are some really nice parallels there, especially Hawkgirl as a bird-like representation of a mythological reincarnation force. At a certain point in my young life, the JSA and the X-Men were my two favorite teams, so this switch-up is extremely appealing. Well done, sir!

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Mike Norris
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 January 2018 at 7:14pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Celestial Madonna Saga

A dawn star appears over The Hall of Justice. Signaling the Celestial Madonna lies within.
Drawing old JLA nemesis Epoch, with a time manipulating plan, to capture her. But it seems Epoch has a rival, Darkseid has his own plans to be the Madonna's mate.
So who is the Madonna?
Black Canary? Wonder Woman? Or another?
************************************************************ **********************
Willow

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 January 2018 at 2:02am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Good point, Mike.

Adam Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 January 2018 at 4:10am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

I suppose turning "The Judas Contract" into an X-Men story wouldn't be all that hard. 

I'm also now imagining "what if Alan Moore had written SQUADRON SUPREME instead of WATCHMEN" but still with Dave Gibbons and all the "trappings" of WATCHMEN (nine-panel grid, text pieces, etc.).

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 January 2018 at 6:45am | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Willow- Yes, Mike. Englehart snuck her in as DC's version of Mantis.

Jayna- That would be fun Brian, unfortunately the Cotati excluded twins  :-)

Page of 2 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version