Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 6 Next >>
Topic: Creative runs that were too short Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 November 2017 at 2:28pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Brandon Carter wrote:
Part of these issues are scheduled to be included in Justice League of America: the Bronze Age Omnibus Vol. 2 coming in March.  

That's good news, but man, whoever compiled that omnibus was asleep at the switch, since it omits the final two Englehart issues.  This is exceptionally vexatious since Englehart knew he was only going to be writing the book for a year and deliberately conceived his run as a self-contained story arc that spans his nine issues.  The final two issues tie up a storyline that was started at the beginning of his run, and leaving them out of the book is really stupid.  If any 70s DC run deserves to be collected as a unit in one book it's this one.

And I do agree with Eric that this was an exceptional run.  Englehart does a really nice job of blending Marvel sensibilities with the classic DC approach to storytelling, and those issues are my favorite JLA issues ever.
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 29 November 2017 at 2:29pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

DANGER UNLIMITED may have been the first book actually killed by the DSM. Many retailers placed high orders for the first issue, slashed them for the second, and again for the third, so that by the time the issues started shipping only half of those who bought the first were able to find the second, and only half of those the third. Before readers even had a chance to see the first issue, orders were too low to continue with the series.

John Popa
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 November 2017 at 2:31pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Karl Kesel and Tom Grummett's SECTION ZERO

-----

There's a new SECTION ZERO book coming out through a Kickstarter campaign. I think Kesel has said it should ship in March or so.

Michael Arndt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 November 2017 at 4:18pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

DANGER UNLIMITED by JB
OMAC by Jack Kirby
THE FOURTH WORLD by Jack Kirby
LAB RATS by JB
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Robert Bradley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 November 2017 at 4:38pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Wally Wood on DAREDEVIL
George Perez on JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA
Neal Adams on THE AVENGERS, THOR or UNCANNY X-MEN
Gil Kane on CAPTAIN MARVEL
John Byrne on THE INCREDIBLE HULK
Marie Severin on DOCTOR STRANGE
John Romita Sr. on CAPTAIN AMERICA or DAREDEVIL
Jim Steranko on CAPTAIN AMERICA or UNCANNY X-MEN
Alan Davis on THE AVENGERS
Back to Top profile | search | www

Marc Baptiste
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 November 2017 at 7:31pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

JB on INCREDIBLE HULK!!!  

Marc

(Edited to add: Just realized this answer might be in violation of the rules of the thread starter, in case it is, my apologies, I don't know how to delete a post)

Edited by Marc Baptiste on 29 November 2017 at 7:32pm

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 November 2017 at 7:51pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

As soon as I read the thread title, JB on Incredible Hulk jumped into my head. So, consider my complete agreement on that subject (and with Roger Stern and JB on Captain America, which didn't jump into my head, but I also totally agree with).

I really liked Chris Claremont and Jackson Guice on New Mutants. I thought it was a really good fit and that The New Mutants had finally found the artist they needed, but (IIRC) the pairing lasted fewer than 10 issues.

Ron Grant
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 November 2017 at 8:13pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Chris Claremont and Bob Mcleod - New Mutants only 4 issues,one Annual and a Graphic novel

Brian O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 November 2017 at 8:19pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Neal Adams with Bob Haney on THE BRAVE AND THE BOLD. Yes, the Haney plots were always 'out there', and es, ultimately, the Haney-Aparo team became 'iconic'...and Nick Cardy, who drew most of the issues between Adams and Aparo, was great in his own right...but Adams' covers, in addition to his interiors, were mind-blowing..and, for at least those 8 issues, the art overshadowed the off-model quirkiness for which Haney is remembered.

Marin Pasko and Curt Swan(and various inkers) on SUPERMAN.
Toward the end of the '70s, the erstwhile 'Pesky Pako' of letter columns went to work for Julie Schwartz. Then, in '76, he hit the big time, writing occasionally for JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA, and regularly, through mid--1979, on SUPERMAN, as Cary Bates concentrated on ACTION COMICS. Pasko was known for injecting more costumed super-powered villains into SUPERMAN(while Bates went more for the 'weird looking and weird-named alien races who never made more than a single appearance.') Under Pasko's stewardship(and in ollaboration with Bates), Lana Lang returned to Metropolis, luv, becoming Clark Kent's co-anchor on WGBS. Meanwhile, Superman took on both familiar and unfamiliar(to Metropolis)  the likes of Bizarro, Metallo, Blackrock, old and new iterations of Toyman, and even Kobra. And for good measure, Pasko kicked off DC COMICS PRESENTS with the 1978 edition of the 'Superman-Flash race',, which many consider the high point of DCCP.

Gerry Conway and George Perez on JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA.
Doing either JLA or NEW TEEN TITANS would be a full plate for any artist. Doing both simultaneously proved to be unsustainable for Perez, who stepped away after only a handful of issues on the League.But they are very fondly remembered stories, including two JSA team-ups, the Starro and Red Tornado/T.O. Morrow two-parters, an unappreciated gem in issue # 194 involving tarot cards come to life, and,in his JLA swan song, contributions to # 200.

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 November 2017 at 9:01pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

There's a new SECTION ZERO book coming out through a Kickstarter
campaign. I think Kesel has said it should ship in March or so.

Yup. I pre-ordered it a while back.

Steven Myers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 November 2017 at 9:37pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

Stern and Byrne on Captain America. All others pale before this truncated run!  

Bob Simko
Byrne Robotics Security
Negative Mod

Posted: 29 November 2017 at 11:10pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

This Cap run was my first thought. Perez on JLA also.

<< Prev Page of 6 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version