Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 4 Next >>
Topic: Superman, "Illegal Alien"? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 September 2017 at 1:49pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

How ironic is it that our presidiot is always going on about "fake news" but his news of choice is Fox and he's a fan of Alex Jones?
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 17 September 2017 at 1:56pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

The Silver Age Superman played the "Stranger in a Strange Land" card a lot, and played it hard! As a kid, and an immigrant myself, I could not quite wrap my brain around this. After all, I had come to Canada with eight years of England behind me, unlike Kal-El, who had arrived on Earth as an infant. Yet I slipped into the grove very quickly, losing my accent (mostly), and finding England quite alien when we returned for a visit seven years later (when I was 15).

Steve De Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 September 2017 at 2:06pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

Yeah, alien Superman is right there with 'Old Man Cap'.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 September 2017 at 2:26pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

The Silver Age Superman played the "Stranger in a Strange Land" card a lot, and played it hard! As a kid, and an immigrant myself, I could not quite wrap my brain around this. After all, I had come to Canada with eight years of England behind me, unlike Kal-El, who had arrived on Earth as an infant. Yet I slipped into the grove very quickly, losing my accent (mostly), and finding England quite alien when we returned for a visit seven years later (when I was 15).

I always found phrases such as "Great Rao" (if I've remembered that right) when Superman was in trouble. Didn't feel real.

Sergio Saavedra
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 September 2017 at 2:30pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

Anyway, the other option would be: 
an armed man decked out in an American flag bandana lines up a group of immigrants he blames for taking his job. As he opens fire, Superman steps in to watch the massacre first hand and make sure they are dead. Then, he approaches the bandana hero with a pad on his back and kisses the American flag.
Perhaps we could also change his name into Superkukluxman.

Adam Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 September 2017 at 10:11pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Don't give any comics writers any ideas, Sergio!

Robbie -- I agree about "Great Rao." "Great Krypton," too. Then again, lots of superheroes used to say "Great [something]." Green Lantern (Hal) said "Great Guardians!" a lot. Wonder Woman said "Great Hera!" 

So my guess is that "Great Krypton!" was introduced just to give Superman "something to say." Superheroes couldn't say "my lord" or "my god" back in the day. 

(Superman also said "Great Scott!" a lot. I still don't know who "Scott" was.)

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 September 2017 at 7:34am | IP Logged | 7 post reply

JB, I saw your panel with Dick Giordano in NYC many years back (you signed my copy of MOS 1) and you discussed how Superman was more a dislocated Kryptonian than a guy who grew up here... and how that was one aspect you intended to address in MOS.

It worked out great. Superman is a human paragon in an alien body. He stopped going "Great Rao!" because... why would he? And his collection of Kryptonian artifacts at the Fortress now feels more like idle curiosity than yearning for a world he never knew.

As for his being an "illegal alien"-- JB's take suggests that he was gestating inside the biopod when he was sent here, not that he was a baby. I might be misreading but that would mean he was born when Jonathan and Martha opened the matrix to get him out. So he was "born in the USA."

Just my two cents.

Edited by Andrew Bitner on 18 September 2017 at 7:36am

Eric Kleefeld
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 September 2017 at 11:26am | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Adam Schulman:

QUOTE:
Robbie -- I agree about "Great Rao." "Great Krypton," too. Then again, lots of superheroes used to say "Great [something]." Green Lantern (Hal) said "Great Guardians!" a lot. Wonder Woman said "Great Hera!"

Well, going back to the classic Marston era, Wonder Woman's signature exclamation was, "Suffering Sappho!"

A little too obvious?
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 18 September 2017 at 11:33am | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Superman fights for Truth, Justice and the American Way.* I asked if I could change that to "the American Dream", but DC wouldn't go for it.

Bottom line, Superman self-identifies as American, and that's the only experience he's had.

------------

* And **** you, Bryan Singer.

Steve De Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 September 2017 at 11:42am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

I agree about "Great Rao." "Great Krypton," too. Then again, lots of superheroes used to say "Great [something]." Green Lantern (Hal) said "Great Guardians!" a lot. Wonder Woman said "Great Hera!" 
-------------------------------------------
I think this was a contractual requirement at DC during a certain era.  After Kirby went back to Marvel, if you read Mister Miracle's appearances in Brave and the Bold for example, he keeps yelling, "By the Great Houdini!"  Which, of course, flows trippingly off the tongue when one is startled or amazed.

Eric Kleefeld
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 September 2017 at 11:53am | IP Logged | 11 post reply

On the "Supergirl" TV show, she has occasionally said, "Thank Rao." (Not really as a literal, religious statement, but more as a figure of speech.) But for her character, this can still make sense — she remembers a Kryptonian childhood!
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 September 2017 at 1:04pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Mr. Byrne: "* And **** you, Bryan Singer."

I SECOND THE MOTION!

<< Prev Page of 4 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version