Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 4 Next >>
Topic: Superman, "Illegal Alien"? Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 September 2017 at 9:54pm | IP Logged | 1 post reply

Wasn't that what Doctor Doom callled Superman in the second Spider-Man Superman team up?

Man, when it's starting to become the norm for real life idiots out there to act like supervillains, maybe we really are getting past the point of no return?

Edited by Jason Scott on 15 September 2017 at 9:55pm
Back to Top profile | search

Andy Mokler
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 September 2017 at 1:13am | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Slightly off topic, someone told me today that an upcoming storyline is that Jor-El didn't actually die when Krypton exploded.  I didn't have the heart to find out if it's true.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Eric Kleefeld
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 September 2017 at 1:18am | IP Logged | 3 post reply

I'll just assume it's yet another fake-out, as they do lots of stuff involving alternate timelines getting crossed.

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 September 2017 at 9:40am | IP Logged | 4 post reply

Well, all of Argo City didn't die when Krypton exploded.

Also, a desperate Jor-El could have tried to project himself and Lara into the Phantom Zone. In fact, one wonders why this was not an option explored (notwithstanding the obvious - that DC wanted Superman to remain "unique". Well, him and Supergirl, Krypto, Beppo, Kandor, etc. :P )

Adam Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 September 2017 at 9:51am | IP Logged | 5 post reply

The way the whole Mr Oz. thing is being handled so far is making me reserve judgment on whether or not bringing back Jor-El -- or apparently doing so -- is a necessarily a bad idea. If it really is him, he won't be alive for long, I'm sure. And in any case the point is clearly to put Clark through the emotional wringer, to devastate him. 

(I think it really is Jor-El's body but I'm not sure it's Jor-El's mind.)

Adam Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 September 2017 at 2:43pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

I like this.

Superman saves everyone. Superman is one of the few superheroes not motivated by revenge or guilt or something exterior to doing the right thing because it's the right thing to do. 

I wish there were more people like that in real life, even without superpowers. 

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 September 2017 at 3:34pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

Superman saves everyone. Superman is one of the few superheroes not motivated by revenge or guilt or something exterior to doing the right thing because it's the right thing to do. 

One of the stories our host did (SUPERMAN #13, perhaps?) featured Superman saving Lex Luthor from a bomb that the Toyman had placed in a package. I found it inspiring and heartfelt that the Man of Steel would save his enemy from such a fate. It made him the bigger man.

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 September 2017 at 5:27pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

I love and support undocumented migrants. I love them even more if they are doctors, lawyers, engineers, and comic book writers. Those guys get paid too much, and need a little competition. 

Steve De Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 16 September 2017 at 6:49pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

The Jor-El reveal is a head fake.  The long-lurking villain Mr. Oz revealed himself to be Jor-El this week....

....but Mr. Oz spelled sideways is Roz-M.  An obscure, pre-Crisis Kryptonian villain who, before the destruction of the planet, had plastic surgery to look exactly like Jor-El.  So my money's on it actually turning out to be him, sooner or later. 

Adam Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 September 2017 at 12:23am | IP Logged | 10 post reply

You may be right, Steve. I'm not that crazy about the idea, but you may be right.

Bleedingcool.com is very attached to this theory. I know Silver Age Superman lore pretty well but I didn't know about this particular guy.

Maybe he believes that he's actually Jor-El. It would explain some of his past dialogue. 

Steven Ely
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 September 2017 at 12:31pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

I call Superman the all-American extraterrestrial adoptee.Was Clark legal? I think so. Whether it be a "blizzard birth" explanation or a "found him" explanation, the Kents would have gotten the legal papers for him,  either legally adopted from unknown birth parents or legally regarded as their biological son. 

And he would logically self-identify as Clark, an Earthling American and feel at home in America - not self-identified as Kal-El of Krypton and longing to return to Krypton. The Kents raised him as their own - from baby infant to adulthood - in the Kents country home, in the Smallville farming community. The love and guidance of the kindly Kents was to become an important factor in the shaping of his future - that he has a great responsibility to the world. He would logically self-identify with his Earthling life experiences, due to his childhood upbringing in America. He didn't know about Krypton and his Kryptonian name growing up, and he didn't learn about Krypton until after he was already Superman in Jerry Siegel's original '30s-'40s comic books and comic strips, in George Reeves '50s television series (George Reeves' Superman apparently didn't find out he is an alien from Krypton until the 2nd season episode "The Defeat of Superman" (1953)) or in JB's '86 THE MAN OF STEEL. 

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 September 2017 at 1:47pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

This reminds me of the time I made a Superman joke about him coming here and stealing all our reporter jobs. Only this idiot is being serious about it. Fox News is the worst.

<< Prev Page of 4 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version