Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 3
Topic: Watchoo Buy Today - 04/06/05 (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member
Purveyor of Rare Items

Posted: 07 April 2005 at 9:19am | IP Logged | 1  

Bob Simko wrote:
 John Bodin wrote:
 Bob Simko wrote:

Superman/Batman #18 - Fun story arc...last pages had something that's either a piss poor mistake or some intriguing foreshadowing...or is that backshadowing...

Care to elaborate in spoiler-text, Bob -- I'm not sure what you're talking about.

????

:-(

John...pretty much exactly what you were tying into a few posts earlier.  It'll be interesting to see what the might eventually lead into later this year...

Ah!  Thanks Bob -- wasn't sure if you spotted something I missed.  That time travel sequence showing the image from Crisis of Superman holding Supergirl was DEFINITELY out-of-place in current post-Crisis continuity.  Basically, Supergirl never existed, although the heroes do recall a "crisis" -- if they "saw" the death of the pre-Cirisis Supergirl as time was restored, then there IS something big brewing in the DCU, methinks.

People may criticize Didio's "darkening" of the DCU, but I think it's all building up to something REALLY good (and non-dark).

Edited by John Bodin on 07 April 2005 at 9:21am
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Paul Greer
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 07 April 2005 at 11:39am | IP Logged | 2  

Really small week.

• Marvel Knights Spider-Man # 12
  • Back Issue of The Incredible Hulk # 264, I couldn't resist the Frank Miller cover.
  • Green Latern Rebirth # 5
  • Blood of the Demon # 2, my LCS owner said he increased his orders for issue two and three for the higher than excpected demand for issue one.
Back to Top profile | search

Emery Calame
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 April 2005 at 4:14am | IP Logged | 3  

Justice League Elite #10 -This is the 2nd issue that didn;t do much for me. I think I'm dropping the book. Partly I don't care for Manchester Black and partly this Eve/Source/Whorlogog stuff seems weak. One thing though is that Manitou Raven(apache Chief...shhhh!) died last issue saving Green Arrow who was boinging his wife and it occurs to me(Yull Brenner voice) that he may just be the new spectre.  

Detective Comics # 805 -I wasn't crazy about this issue bu the way that Mr. Freeze and the girl he kidnapped end up resolving the situation was pretty cool. Batman is fighting crazed melting bird faced guys. Who jump off of buildings.

Blood of the Demon #2  - was great but I kind of wonder what happened to the elder god.

Shanna the She Devil#3 -boobs, theropod dinosaurs, and a slooowwww moving story. Cho's old stuff was better. Bleah.

Manhunter #1 through #8 -This is a pretty good series. She's like Huntress with a powerful baton, less ski showing, and besides that she's a poor mother and a prosecuting attourney who does super villain cases.

Justice League Unlimited #5 and #8 -These are both good issues one has the Question and the other has Blue Beetle. Guess what made me want to buy these? Go on...guess.

B.R.P.D. The Dead #1 through #5 -Good stuff! We now know more about Abe and a new addition ot the team makes Roger put on some pants!

X4 #5 -This was the tail end of an Xmen and Fantastic Four team up against the Brood. It was drek and it made me sad. Some of the X-men were bombarded with cosmic rays and got FF powers. Wolverine got stretchy and his adamantium skeleton stretched with him! Bleah! Reed cured them all and then they scared the brood off by filling their heads with a telepathic illusion that Galactus and Phoenix were about to have a fight on the Earth.

Superman Batman #18 -Okay I;m glad that the time travel story is finally over. I hated it and was really getting sick of it.The adult legion of super heroes with Matter Eater Man and Dream Woman make an appearance. Hrrrm. Okay. However it has one interesting thing about it. The old Superman who was threatening Clark at the beginning of the series changes back into the mustached superman from Alan Moore's "the last Superman Story." WTF? Is that good? I dunno. The real Superman remembers bits from the Crisis too. I think I may drop this one.

Green Lantern Rebirth #5. -It's a lot of flying and fighting and speech making. I kind of wished that it was just put together with number six and sold as a big fat end issue. Okay I guess.

Richard Dragon # 9, #10, and #11 -Okay, I don't even know why I bought these. I don't like Richard Dragon and I don't quite believe that Conner Hawke is one of the greatest martial artists of the DC universe or he would have beaten the snot out of that Drago guy instead of getting his clock cleaned. DC...do me a favor and kill Shiva for a while okay? She's showing up too often.

Hawkman #38 -It looks like Golden Eagle is back but then he seems to get blowed up real good at the end. Katar Hol's memory talks to Carter Hall via the Nth metal. Please fix this DC. Please. I am neutral about this issue.

Action Comics # 823 -Super Cooter beats up Superman and Superboy but loses his powers. Superman is still old from the Kryptonite wounding. Or something.  I'm dropping this book until JB and GS start up on it.

Superman # 213 and #214 -Superman confronts General Zod in his modified phantomzone filled with the missing people of Earth who have been guarded by a Zor-El robot. Kneel before Baron Karza dog! ..uh...I meant General Zod! They could be twins. These were two very tedious issues. Bleah/

Marvel Team-Up #7 -Spidey and Moonkight. Line art and coloring seemed iffy in places. I gotta hand it to them that the ending was pretty original! That'll teach you to give spidey bio webbing!

Ultimate Fantastic Four # 17 -Ben can apparently breathe poisonous acid, Johnny is still dying, and Ultimate Annihilus can't fight.  Giant Jawas with Gaffi sticks attack!

Ultimate Spider Man # 75 -Just WTF was happening in this book? Is Shaw invisible? Is Harry Crazy? WTF? Call me when something neat happens okay?

Starman Sons of The Father TPB -okay so now I have 'em all. Gimme a cookie.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Fabrice Renault
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 April 2005 at 8:08am | IP Logged | 4  

Big week for me :

Blood of the Demon #2 : Great stuff. I loved the Batman appearance. Gotham City looks so good!

GLA #1 : A quick check of it, and the origin of Mr Immortal was enough to make me buy it.

Green Lantern Rebirth #5 : Nice as usual. Geoff Johns enjoys showing his love for every character he is writing.

Marvel Team-Up #7 : Almost too good to be true : a comic showing the MARVEL Universe.

F.

Ben Laughlin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 April 2005 at 10:06am | IP Logged | 5  

Due to circumstances beyond my control, I didn’t make it to the comics shop until today!

I got:

Blood of the Demon #2, Deadshot #5, Detective Comics #805, Firestorm #12, Green Lantern: Rebirth #5, Justice League: Elite #10, Lex Luthor: Man of Steel #2, Seven Soldiers: Zatanna #1 and Superman/Batman #18 (plus a second copy of BotD #2, which I’m giving to my pal Rich).

Three separate packages of back issues and other cool stuff arrived on Thursday and Friday, including Batman: City of Light #1-8 (complete mini-series), The Demon: Driven Out #1-6 (complete mini-series, the last Demon series prior to JB's BotD), Rose & Thorn #1-6 (complete mini-series, written by Gail Simone), Superman & Batman: Generations III #1-12 (to go with the set of Generations II that I picked up last week!), and Superman: Metropolis #1-12 (complete mini-series).  Some of these might be stinkers (Byrne and Simone comics excepted, of course!).  They're things that I didn't bother to pick up at the time.  But now, given the opportunity to pick them up cheaply, I thought I'd give them a go.

Other acquisitions included issues of Catwoman, H-E-R-O, Nightwing, Sandman Mystery Theatre, Defenders, and Stray Bullets.

And did I say back issues and "other cool stuff"?  The other cool stuff consisted mainly of collected editions, including five Marvel Masterworks volumes.  Only another seven to go now, and I'll have 'em all!

This week, I've read...

Saturday 2nd April

Read -

Batman #638

Outsiders #22

Flash #220

Batgirl #62

Richard Dragon #11

Sunday 3rd April

Read -

Legion Of Super-Heroes #4  (And that was last week's new stuff all read!  (I already read Countdown and Doom Patrol on the Friday.)*  All of it good, too.  I've said it before but I'll say it again: DC are doing some very cool stuff at the moment.  It's a shame the next issue of the enjoyable Richard Dragon will be the last, as it joins the likes of Bloodhound and The Monolith on the growing list of books which were apparently doomed from the get-go.  On the other hand, this latest LoSH reboot seems to be selling in decent numbers, so it’s not all bad news.) 

Firestorm #10, 11  (Catching up with Firestorm.)

Planetary #13-16

Monday 4th April

Read -

Planetary #17, 18

Planetary/JLA: Terra Occulta

Planetary/Batman: Night On Earth

Tuesday 5th April

Read -

Planetary 19-22  (I realise this Warren Ellis guy isn't well-liked around here, but I have to say I've been thoroughly entertained by all this Planetary stuff.)

Wednesday 6th April

Read -

Plastic Man #12-15  (Not one of my favourite books, hence I let four issues pile up before getting around to reading them, but now that I've read them I must admit they're pretty good fun.) 

Solo #2  (The Richard Corben issue.  I'm not particularly familiar with Corben's work, but this issue of Solo is a good read.  I particularly liked the Spectre story, although it’s written by John Arcudi, so not exactly “solo” by Corben!  But he wrote and drew the other stories himself, and it’s all good stuff.  New Frontier fans should take note that Solo #5 in June is an all Darwyn Cooke issue!  Can’t wait!!!)

Thursday 7th April

Read -

“A Master Murderer!” from Batman Archives Vol. 1 (originally published in Detective Comics #41)

“The Case Of The Prophetic Pictures!” from Batman Archives Vol. 1 (originally published in Detective Comics #42)  (I'm continuing to read a couple of these old Batman stories each week.  Fascinating stuff.)

Batman & Poison Ivy: Cast Shadows

Batman: The Man Who Laughs  (Two of the more recent Batman bookshelf one-shots, both of them bloody good, especially the one with Poison Ivy, superbly written by Ann Nocenti with lovely painted art by John van Fleet.  I don’t think I’ve ever found Ivy a particularly interesting character, but this is just the book to change my mind.  The thing that struck me about The Man Who Laughs is that I like Doug Mahnke’s art a lot better when he inks it himself, rather than leaving it to his usual inker Tom Nguyen.)

Friday 8th April

Read -

Batman #620-625  (The complete "Broken City" 6-parter.  Not bad.  I found the whole thing rather Frank Millerish.  I really like Risso's art.)

That's all.

*Aaargh!  Brackets within brackets!

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

<< Prev Page of 3
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version