Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 4 Next >>
Topic: Marvel Editors say the darndest things Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 July 2017 at 11:48am | IP Logged | 1 post reply

New fans and old fans-- publishers are just glad to have them.
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 31 July 2017 at 12:28pm | IP Logged | 2 post reply

Marvel has spent decades pandering more and more to their graying audience. This has a "barn door" feel to it.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 July 2017 at 12:36pm | IP Logged | 3 post reply

This response was off the back of a wave 'men's rights' trolls dogpiling Heather Antos on Twitter, some of whom would use the length of time they'd been fans to prove that they knew what 'real' Marvel was about and thus try to justify some pretty vile misogyny they were throwing at her. 

Indeed.

A manager I worked under said an e-mail is the worst form of communication due to the fact you can't see the person's body language, posture, facial expressions, etc. Or hear their voice. I made a joke online once - which someone thought I was being serious about. 

In the same ballpark, 140 characters is no way to communicate for any of us. Okay, we can do it, but context can be lost. I'm glad JW provided the context (I knew about it), but to someone seeing that tweet in isolation, well it doesn't reveal much.

Not blaming the tweeter, simply stating that Twitter is a less than ideal platform for profound and important things at times. 

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 31 July 2017 at 12:58pm | IP Logged | 4 post reply

I made a joke online once - which someone thought I was being serious about.

•••

Story of my life!

Rodrigo castellanos
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 July 2017 at 1:48pm | IP Logged | 5 post reply

I agree with him.

Trevor Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 July 2017 at 1:51pm | IP Logged | 6 post reply

Late to the party (work day), but yeah, if anything,
that's an incredibly positive statement, coming from a
Marvel editor.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 July 2017 at 3:14pm | IP Logged | 7 post reply

It is indeed a respectable sentiment... but considering that Marvel seems to have been pandering to those five decades fans (hello, pot) for three of those decades, it's an intriguing statement.

Of course, I have to ask... who's Stephen Wacker? Another coffee boy- I mean, another associate assistant editor who's supposed to sit in the background, do grunt work, and shut the hell up? God only knows that there've been DOZENS of those at both DC and Marvel since who knows when...

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 July 2017 at 5:09pm | IP Logged | 8 post reply

Taken on its face, that is a horrible statement.  I'm really surprised anyone is agreeing with it.  (The context doesn't really matter as it's phrased as a blanket statement.)

A fan (not "fan" which itself is a questionable way to phrase it) for five decades has proven a longstanding love.  A "fan" of five minutes could have one comic book and then drops it in favor of something new five minutes later.

Shift it to something else.  "I love this woman I've been married to for five decades" vs. "I love this woman I met five minutes ago!" or "I've played the piano for five decades, my love is a deep part of me" vs. "I sat down on this piano bench five minutes ago and hit a few keys."

Seriously, even it was rephrased to something like "A fan of two weeks is just as important to us as the fan who's been reading for fifty years," that would be better.  At least after two weeks, the fan himself has a better idea how much he cares.

Andrew W. Farago
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 July 2017 at 5:52pm | IP Logged | 9 post reply

Of course, I have to ask... who's Stephen Wacker?

Seriously? He's been an editor at Marvel for more than a decade now, and he's been one of the higher-ups in their animation division for the past several years. Spent several years at DC before that. Pretty easy to look him up instead of just guessing that he's some new hire.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 July 2017 at 6:11pm | IP Logged | 10 post reply

Agree with the sentiment of his statement, but I think he's dreaming if he thinks they have a lot of fans who have been fans for five minutes and that they could follow that convoluted mess. 

Maybe one of their all-ages books with the single stories that veer close to the movies or cartoons but nothing in the main continuity seems written for the casual fan or new reader.

Andrew W. Farago
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 July 2017 at 6:17pm | IP Logged | 11 post reply

New fans are important. I wouldn't have hesitated to call myself a Spider-Man fan back in the early '80s based on my love of the Spider-Man and His Amazing Friends cartoon, ownership of an action figure, a pair of Underoos, and a collection of Electric Company Magazines with the Spidey stories clipped out. Fans who "only" know the recent superhero movies should be welcomed into the clubhouse just as readily as people who were charter members of FOOM. 
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Adam Schulman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 July 2017 at 6:32pm | IP Logged | 12 post reply

Shift it to something else.  "I love this woman I've been married to for five decades" vs. "I love this woman I met five minutes ago!" or "I've played the piano for five decades, my love is a deep part of me" vs. "I sat down on this piano bench five minutes ago and hit a few keys."

No offense meant, Eric, but a marriage ain't a hobby! Reading comics is a hobby! Nothing more than that. It's nothing like marriage (or shouldn't be).

Anyway, if what Wacker means is that "everything is about to go back to normal and become far more accessible for new readers" then bless him. About damn time. 

<< Prev Page of 4 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version