Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 4 Next >>
Topic: How can Marvel fix things? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 01 July 2017 at 5:01am | IP Logged | 1  

At what point does not being negative cross into Pollyanna territory? Print is as good as dead across the board. Comics, always close to the bottom rung of that ladder, have been coughing blood for decades. That they are "still alive" is in no way an indication that they are healthy.

"Fix" Marvel? Marvel is doing just fine -- as a movie studio. It's just a matter of time before they scrape the gum (comics) off their shoe. That's not "negativity", that's reality.

Back to Top profile | search

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2017 at 5:27am | IP Logged | 2  

At what point does not being negative cross into Pollyanna territory? Print is as good as dead across the board. Comics, always close to the bottom rung of that ladder, have been coughing blood for decades. That they are "still alive" is in no way an indication that they are healthy.

"Fix" Marvel? Marvel is doing just fine -- as a movie studio. It's just a matter of time before they scrape the gum (comics) off their shoe. That's not "negativity", that's reality.

~~~~~~~~~

That all may be true. But all of that isn't the point of this thread. The point was to interject some cheerfulness into my day. And maybe into the day of those who decided to post in the thread.

What's also true is the Star Trek we all know and love is dead. But you didn't let that stop you from creating your photonovels.

We wouldn't have those great stories if you decided to just except the reality of things.

We all know that the Marvel Comics that we knew and loved is gone.  What if it wasn't a lost cause? JB What if you could hop into that time machine of yours and go back and fix it? 

What would you do to make Marvel the company that you once loved? That's the point of this thread. 

I get enough reality in my life. It would be nice to have a bit more fantasy. 

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 01 July 2017 at 5:33am | IP Logged | 3  

Anthony, you want to tell a man with a gangrenous leg that all is good because he can still hop on the other one.

For positivity, look to the future, don't keep trying to recreate the past.

Dale Lerette
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2017 at 5:35am | IP Logged | 4  

I would develop some newer characters for the age we live. And not attempt to retro-fit old characters to new ideals.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2017 at 5:48am | IP Logged | 5  

Anthony, you want to tell a man with a gangrenous leg that all is good because he can still hop on the other one.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Well I wouldn't say all is good. But I would try to get the man to not give up on things getting better.
`````````````````

For positivity, look to the future, don't keep trying to recreate the past.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

While it's true that I'm steeped in nostalgia. The ideas I have for fixing things are with the future in mind. 

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 01 July 2017 at 6:29am | IP Logged | 6  

The ideas I have for fixing things are with the future in mind.

••

Too many "What if" scenarios -- dating back to the very beginning of the industry. As a business model, American comic books have been a torrent of bad decisions, starting with the insistence on clinging to the 10¢ cover price. To "fix" Marvel would require going back and changing almost every one of those bad decision -- which have a kind of exponential nature to them. They just keep increasing in number and frequency.

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2017 at 6:35am | IP Logged | 7  

Too many "What if" scenarios -- dating back to the very beginning of the industry. As a business model, American comic books have been a torrent of bad decisions, starting with the insistence on clinging to the 10¢ cover price. To "fix" Marvel would require going back and changing almost every one of those bad decision -- which have a kind of exponential nature to them. They just keep increasing in number and frequency.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~```
I really can't argue with that.

John Popa
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2017 at 7:10am | IP Logged | 8  

I don't have as much of the 'make everything like the 70's/80's' mindset as most other folks around here do but I'd be more inclined to read Marvel books if they did a few things:

1. Separate the 'families' of titles more. Similarly, lessen crossovers and events.

2. Keep creative teams as long as they can and let them be creative, instead of every book feeling like a piece of a giant company wide editorial thing. Give incentives for long runs. Guys like Paul Pelletier, Tom Grummett and Barry Kitson, who can draw monthly books (and then some) should be on the top books. (Confession, I just like those guys stuff too.)

3. If you need fill-ins, make it a specific creative team too. If you know in advance an artist can do 9 issues, book those other 3 issues with an idea in mind.

4. Simplify the line. I'm not saying you can only have one X-book, I'm just saying tighten it up so any X-books have a specific identity and roster philosophy.

5. Give special creators special projects. I'd love to see a graphic novel drawn by Art Adams, I also know it would take him a couple years to do probabl. But I'd rather wait instead of seeing him do variant covers all the time. (And I realize I'm speaking for Art Adams a bit here - it's entirely possible he wants to do variant covers instead of panel-to-panel art but, well, this is my fantasy.)

6. Create new stuff. I'm all for new characters and new ideas, even if they don't stick. Try things. Give creators a stake in what they create so they're enticed to be as creative as possible.

7. Make Tiger Shark human again. Ok, this one might just be me being nostalgic :)

Christopher Frost
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2017 at 8:21am | IP Logged | 9  

Anthony, I agree with you. I'm tired of seeing nothing but negativity in threads about Marvel and it's refreshing to see a positive one, despite a few naysayers who can't get into the spirit of it.

Vishwas Aragam
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2017 at 8:32am | IP Logged | 10  

I started reading comics in the early 90s. I wouldn't have read the
stories I look back in fondness with if they had stopped
publishing comics after the mid-80s where it seems some people
think Marvel took a turn for the worse. Early 90s X-Men and
Spider-Man are my X-Men and Spider-Man.

Though if comics were still written and drawn like that, would I
still be buying them? Probably not.

When I got back into comics in college, I eventually stopped
because it became expensive and I felt I wasn't getting out of it
the money I was paying.

So, I think it would help if they made them cheaper or more bang
for your buck. I like the idea of multiple stories in one book. And
put them back in grocery stores and drug stores. Would this get
me back to buying them? No. But it might help get in newer,
younger readers.

As for the stories, they aren't for me anymore.

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2017 at 8:37am | IP Logged | 11  

Here are some of my ideas. 

I would reduce the number of monthly titles being produced. I think many readers are moving away from wanting to read their comics in this manner.  

I would do away with all the duplicate heroes. Steve Rogers is Captain America Sam Wilson is not.  Sam would go back to being the Falcon. The same thing goes for Spider-Man and the Hulk.  They are Peter Parker and Bruce Banner. I wouldn't get rid of characters like Miles Morales and Amadeus Cho. I think Marvel needs new characters so they stay around. I would change their visuals and give them their own Superhero identity. 

I would undo the replacing male characters with female ones. Jane Foster isn't Thor.

Comics do need more diversity. I would achieve this by creating new characters.

Marvel needs to cultivate new talent. to do this I would start a mentoring program. There are many older artists out there that can still be productive. They could teach the youngsters the craft of making comics. Together they would work on producing a quarterly magazine Something that would showcase their talents. This could also be a place for testing out new characters. 

I would develop more digital content. Not just the monthly comics being converted to digital. I would create daily webcomics. There is so much untapped potential there. The creators aren't bound by the limitations of the printed format. They can change how the layout is going to be from series to series. Even from day to day. The comics can be interactive if the creators want them to be. Readers could determine what happens in the story depending upon what choices they select.

I wouldn't stop the company wide events. I would reduce the frequency of when they would happened.

I would assign the right people to do the job. If an artist isn't capable of maintaining a monthly schedule they would be working on monthly titles. 

I'd make the comics more accessible to everyone. A person shouldn't have to follow every title in order to know what's going on in the book he is interested in reading. Monthly titles will not be written with Trades in mind. Each title should keep in mind that this might be someone first issue.

I would offer more variety. Superheroes aren't the only thing that people like to read.

In addition to monthly titles and the daily webcomics. I would do graphic novels and mini series. For those creators who can't keep up with those monthly deadlines. When all the work is finished the product gets put out. 

I would insist on creators staying on model. There would be no Captain America becoming a Nazi on my watch.

I would encourage creators to create new characters. It is possible to create a contract with them that would allow them to retain some rights to the characters they create and be able to share in the profits. While at the same time allow the company to produce material about the character for as long as the company wants to do so. The creators would also have the right to work on creator owned work with those characters. With stipulations of course. They couldn't go to another publisher like DC,IDW ,Image and use the character there.

Audio dramas is something else I would get into. Many people enjoy audio books. I even discovered back when I was driving a shuttle bus that younger people enjoy listening to old radio programs. I would listen NPR on Sundays. They didn't know anything like that existed. I think people might like listening to them when they are commuting back and forth from work. People may not always have time to read. So this could be another way to entertain them.

Edited to add the following

I forgot to mention this unless other wise labeled everything being produced will be material fit for all ages.

Edited by Anthony J Lombardi on 01 July 2017 at 8:45am

Rick Whiting
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 July 2017 at 9:53am | IP Logged | 12  

Sadly, this is very true. This is why I think that Marvel's publishing future (as well as DC's) might be to fold the publishing division into the animation division and put out a line of web based monthly animated series instead of putting out a line of monthly print or digital comics. Kind of something similar to the Captain Canuck animated web series and the Black Panther motion comic (or the more recent Marvel Video Comics).

Captain Canuck web series

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mFinqPnt7So&list=PLuYvzeLjWw bsygjuUJ1F16KuQpS9UyDuW

Black Panther motion comic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rxd3Vsnoqvk

Marvel Video Comics

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k-dQlHA-VB8

<< Prev Page of 4 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version