Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 9 Next >>
Topic: Wow, Nobody Gets It. (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 April 2017 at 4:27pm | IP Logged | 1  

Right now she is Spectrum.
Back to Top profile | search

Thomas Woods
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 April 2017 at 6:58pm | IP Logged | 2  

If they want me back, I would buy X-Men if they went
back to how they were in the early days.

If you are attracted to something the way it is, why
would you want it to change? Just give us more of what
we like.

Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 04 April 2017 at 7:09pm | IP Logged | 3  

When Monica Rameau first appeared, I was pleased to see a new, powerful WoC joining the ranks of Marvel superheroes. I don't think Captain Marvel was ever a good name for her though.

••

Roger was there playing off an old one-liner: "Last night I had a dream in which I saw God. She's Black."

Rog would also tell of the mail he received from readers who, upon learning Monica was Black and from New Orleans, assumed she would be adept in Voodoo.

To quote Mr. Stern: sigh

Mike Norris
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 April 2017 at 7:15pm | IP Logged | 4  

I don't if to laugh or cry upon reading that. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Ron Grant
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 April 2017 at 10:14pm | IP Logged | 5  

10 year olds aren't interested in reading gay romance comics about Iceman or Batgirl having a conversation with her trans friend about being misgendered at the mall.  

Pretty sure someone said to Stan Lee in the early sixties  that nobody's interested in superheroes with problems and if he listened we would never have known a Fantastic Four or Spiderman

maybe there might be an audience for gay romance titles as you put it but it has to be written for  that 10-16 year old audience and not the 40 year old audience. 

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 April 2017 at 3:40am | IP Logged | 6  

it has to be written for  that 10-16 year old audience and not the 40 year old audience.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
 I think that comics should be written so they appeal to everyone.  

Edited by Anthony J Lombardi on 05 April 2017 at 3:42am

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 05 April 2017 at 6:00am | IP Logged | 7  

••

Not possible, but a broad audience is better than a narrow one.

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 April 2017 at 7:28am | IP Logged | 8  

QUOTE:
10 year olds aren't interested in reading gay romance comics about Iceman or Batgirl having a conversation with her trans friend about being misgendered at the mall.

I agree. My younger boy is half a year from 10. He doesn't have any discernible interest in straight romance either.

If we think of 8-13 as the prime five-years of being a kid reader, my absolute preference would be to make every effort possible to appeal to that audience first and foremost, and only afterward broaden to an older crowd. Make sure to broaden, but first make sure to hook in the kids!

Conrad Teves
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 April 2017 at 7:33am | IP Logged | 9  

I can't help but think the approach the Japanese market takes is worth looking at. They saturate the entire spectrum from kids to adults to even weird niche subjects. Yes, they have a different culture, but they also have a much smaller country.
Article from a couple years ago (though they seem to have the compiled-book/trade edition divergence as well):
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Joseph Greathouse
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 April 2017 at 8:51am | IP Logged | 10  

If we think of 8-13 as the prime five years of being a kid reader, they can't afford the product.

My kid is in fifth grade (and officially 11 years old today) and loves comics, so do his friends.  But he and his friends love Big Nate, Diary of a Wimpy Kid, Lunch Lady, and books along those lines. They love super hero movies. 

As to content of chapter books, the kids have been reading Mike Lupica for the last two years. He writes sports books staring kids that involve deep stuff such child abuse, abandonment, parental drug abuse, peer drug abuse, and much more. This year, he also has a love for WWII youth fiction focusing on the holocaust. And he has had an interest in real world conversations about dating and even gender identity. 

Before you write off what is showing up in comics, you may want to consider what is showing up in in their lives.  Emotionally, I would not have put any of these topics in front of my kid.  But in following what my child reads and what we talk about, he is well beyond where I was at his age.

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 April 2017 at 8:54am | IP Logged | 11  

••

Not possible, but a broad audience is better than a narrow one.

~~~~~~~~

The Marvel comics I began reading where from the 60's and 70's. At the time I started reading I was in that 10 -16 age group. The comics appealed to me at that age. When I go back and read them now. I still find an appeal to them. I see things differently now. Somethings that didn't make sense to me then do now. 

JB you would know about those times better than I. What was the target group back then? 

Maybe those books were aimed at kids. But they were so well done that they could enjoyed by everyone.

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 April 2017 at 8:56am | IP Logged | 12  

My only issue with Stern's Captain Marvel was she was a bit too powerful and made the rest of the Avengers a fifth wheel at times. Being able to move at light speed alone is enough to make her pretty much unbeatable. 

I do like the character, though - she deserved better treatment than what she got after Stern left.

<< Prev Page of 9 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version