Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 9 Next >>
Topic: What JB FF story would make a great movie? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 February 2017 at 9:24am | IP Logged | 1  

Peter, you're saying to bet on the stupidity of the public? Well, you make a good point... :-)

Charles, if it takes only two years to make our movies, you'll introduce Galactus six years from now and give him an eight-or-nine year build-up similar to the one Thanos is enjoying? I'm not sure I'm going to live long enough to see a Galactus movie...

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 February 2017 at 9:34am | IP Logged | 2  

Sorry, Brian.... but blame Fox and all the damage they've done to the FF property. Getting this done right will take some time regardless.

-C!
Back to Top profile | search | www

Mario Ribeiro
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 February 2017 at 12:26pm | IP Logged | 3  

It's so Hollywood to try to make Chapter 1 of a huge franchise instead of trying to make just one good movie that should stand on its own and go from there, if it's the case.

And the idea that "this time will get it right" reminds me of DC and its reboots.

I can't imagine that another trailer featuring Doom and a depowered FF will excite that many civilians. But then, of course, none of us are Hollywood producers. So it could work. Just like almost everything, really. Be glad that body horror FF didn't.
Back to Top profile | search

Warren Scott
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 February 2017 at 4:39pm | IP Logged | 4  

I think we may have gotten a little off-track from the question posed for this thread, which was just which Byrne FF story would make a great movie.
A question for another thread might be what would you like to see in a FF film reboot. I agree with those who say Doc Doom needs to sit one out. Another villain would help to draw interest.
One thing that Mario missed is that the premise of the FF waking up powerless was a surprise, not something the reader knew about before reading the comic. Such surprises also are sorely needed in comic book films.
But I agree with Mario that the best thing to do is just make a good movie, with a good story, acting, special effects, etc. The producers could make some hints at future movies, but mostly, they should let the sequels take care of themselves.

Dave Phelps
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 February 2017 at 5:24pm | IP Logged | 5  

My personal favorite would be the Latveria story in #246/247. The problem is that someone needs to do the Doom/Zorba movie beforehand to set it up properly, which itself seems kind of sequely, which would mean three Doom movies. I like the guy, but I'd want to see more than just him all the time.

(Not that all required information wasn't in the story; it's just I feel that doing an "unforeseen consequences" story works better if there's a moment where the audience feels a sense of victory beforehand. Now that I think about it, I guess you could combine the two - start with Zorba asking for help, they give it and overthrow Doom, time passes, Doom recovers, FF get called in to help Doom against Zorba. Even then you probably need a prior movie to set-up the Doom/FF/Latveria situation.)

The best standalones, IMO, would be either the Ego story (#235) or Terminus (#269-270) (albeit with Sue and Ben in place of Jennifer). World class threats + minimal "baggage" + good mix of brains and brawn required to save the day. As a starting point anyway. A 22-44 page story is a little light for a movie.

Mario Ribeiro
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 February 2017 at 7:11pm | IP Logged | 6  

Yeah, Warren, the FF waking up powerless was a huge surprise for us readers back then. Because in every issue the FF had their powers. It was different and, so, intriguing. 66% of the movies, though, start before the FF got their powers. It's no longer different. Why raise it to 75%?

Again, it's a great story. It would possibly be my choice too if it was the very first FF movie. But even if we want to pretend that the previous movies don't exist, they do, and enough people saw them.

Warren Scott
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 February 2017 at 10:23pm | IP Logged | 7  

Yeah, I see your point, Mario. And I guess the audience could feel cheated since the FF would be without their powers much of the time.
I think someone was right when they said it would make a great episode in an FF series. I'm beginning to think comic book series fairly faithful to the comics would be more satisfying than the movies. There's so much emphasis on action scenes in the films and so much effort to cram them with lots of heroes and villains.
I once thought the FF would not transfer well to film because there are so many fantastic concepts for viewers to absorb- their superpowers (among the weirder among superheroes), the larger than life foes and the unusual locales, such as the Negative Zone, the land of the Inhumans and the Mole Man's subterranean kingdom. But the X-Men films manage to fit in superpowers,time travel and characters who are almost gods. So why not the FF?

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 February 2017 at 11:08am | IP Logged | 8  

Exactly... there's NOTHING to stop Hollywood from doing classic FF stories featuring the Negative Zone, Mole Man and Monster Island, Dr. Doom and his Time Travel machine or the epic Galactus saga. They've already done Dr. Strange and Guardians of The Galaxy so budget should NOT be an issue. The Fantastic Four deserve no less than the best treatment.

-C!

Edited by Charles Valderrama on 07 February 2017 at 11:09am
Back to Top profile | search | www

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 07 February 2017 at 12:15pm | IP Logged | 9  

...body horror FF...

•••

That phrase should not even exist.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 07 February 2017 at 12:28pm | IP Logged | 10  

It seems to me a "perfect" FF movie might be structured something like this:

• OPEN under credits with the FF fully powered up, in uniform, right in the middle of a battle royale with some bad guy. They win. They are hailed as heroes. (This is not the first time.)

• They take a vacation. Somewhere isolated. Meanwhile, the Skulls attack the world. The FF come back, but are defeated. Their powers are drained and used to create the Super Skrull. He goes on a rampage. Powerless, the team gets back to their HQ where Reed says they must recreate the accident that gave them their powers. Anguish from Ben, but he does the right thing. They fly into the Van Allen belts in their "passenger ICBM." Origin recreated! They come back and beat the Skrulls.

• Peace and quiet -- until another villain is revealed, possibly Doom. ROLL END CREDITS.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 07 February 2017 at 12:34pm | IP Logged | 11  

...JB's selected out-of-context quote...

•••

How is it "out of context"?

Brian Rhodes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 February 2017 at 1:50pm | IP Logged | 12  

Anguish from Ben, but he does the right thing.

*snicker*
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

<< Prev Page of 9 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version