Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 9 Next >>
Topic: What JB FF story would make a great movie? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 January 2017 at 1:19pm | IP Logged | 1  

I'm in agreement with Terror in a Tiny Town as being a strong candidate, though there'd have to be a little work done to explain/introduce the Puppeteer (and Doctor Doom as well, really).

I like that it would lead the audience into believing it is seeing a regular origin story and then BAM! there's the old twisteroo and they are already the FF (spoilers!)

Plenty of opportunity for some stunning visuals/special effects to bring to life that amazing image of Doom looming over the tiny townscape.

If there was an FF TV series, then the Human Torch solo adventure of #237 (Mission for a Dead Man) would make a good episode.

I think #241 (Render unto Caesar) has the potential for a good movie. Getting stripped of their powers might not be ideal for a first movie though, but with the Black Panther cameo and the old school adventurer feel with a sci-fi twist would make a good movie.

Edited by Peter Martin on 30 January 2017 at 1:20pm
Back to Top profile | search

Andrew Hess
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 January 2017 at 1:24pm | IP Logged | 2  

The She-Hulk graphic novel would work great as a movie, with just a few subtle changes:
= in the prologue flesh out Jen's relation to Bruce (it's just a panel in the book)
= add transfusion episode to make it a full origin story
= possibly include a scene with full-out Hulk

The inclusion of SHIELD in the story places this squarely in the Marvel cinematic universe.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Andrew Hess
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 January 2017 at 1:26pm | IP Logged | 3  

Since TV is now being used to tell bigger/longer stories, I think NextMen would be a great fit as an ongoing series: each "mini-series" could be a season of the show. Trying to fit even the first mini-series into a single movie would possibly cut out too much, IMO.

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 January 2017 at 1:56pm | IP Logged | 4  

The She-Hulk graphic novel would make a great FF movie?

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 January 2017 at 12:17pm | IP Logged | 5  

WARNING!!! WARNING!!! Thread drift!!!

-C!

Warren Scott
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 January 2017 at 2:39pm | IP Logged | 6  

"Terror in a Tiny Town" also came to my mind. It tells the heroes' origins in a different way, which is sorely needed in comic book films. For newcomers, I think a scene could be added at the beginning with the FF in action and Reed being interviewed by a news reporter and explaining that he and the others gained their powers through an accident in space. No need to go into detail at that point, so it serves as a sort of teaser for what's to come and the viewer realizes something is wrong when the four don't gain powers.
On a separate note, I would like to see the FF remain in their own cinematic universe separate from the other Marvels. I was watching an X-Men film recently and thought how their being separate allows them to have their own tone. Also, at the big climax, the viewer isn't thinking, why doesn't Thor, Iron Man, Captain America, fill in the blank with another Marvel hero, step in?

Christopher Frost
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 January 2017 at 9:41pm | IP Logged | 7  

The problem with "Terror in a Tiny Town" being used as an introduction film is that it relies on knowing that the way the events of the story unfolding are "wrong" which would require knowledge of how things are supposed to be. That and the nostalgia factor of being an anniversary issue make it a poor choice to introduce the team to those unfamiliar with them. It would make a great anniversary episode of a tv series (something like a 100th episode) but as a film, particularly a reboot/reintroduction, it doesn't hold the same impact as a straightforward origin/adventure film. I think that people are allowing their enjoyment of that issue to dominate the thought process. 

Mark Haslett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 31 January 2017 at 10:33pm | IP Logged | 8  

The problem with "Terror in a Tiny Town" being used as an introduction film is
that it relies on knowing that the way the events of the story unfolding are
"wrong" which would require knowledge of how things are supposed to be.

Do you think the movie will be promoted as something other than the Fantastic
Four? Previews and posters will sell the characters as superheroes, as the
cover of "Terror in a Tiny Town" did for anyone (hand shoots up) who hadn't
read Fantastic Four before. That's all the context you need to catch on to the
idea in the story. This "unexpected" start would be particularly effective as a
reboot, since there is already so much awareness of who the FF are at the
movies.

May I ask what this "nostalgia factor" is? The story is a mystery that explores
the characters in depth and fills them with an emotional reason to fight. What
part of it relies in any way on nostalgia?

The challenge that I see in making this a movie would have all to do with
expanding it to the proper length and providing more dramatic reversals once
the mighty FF get their powers back. Small challenges, really, considering the
wealth of opportunities the story has for dramatizing who these characters
are, where they come from and why they fight.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 01 February 2017 at 7:41am | IP Logged | 9  

By now, civilians are aware of the Fantastic Four, if not so much as Spider-Man or the Avengers. The basic concepts are established, and "Terror in a Tiny Town" would reintroduce those concepts in a (hopefully) more palatable form. Those for whom it was the "first issue" would be able (hopefully) to pick things up as the story unfolded.

Mario Ribeiro
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 February 2017 at 8:38am | IP Logged | 10  

My mother wonders why two out of three FF movies tell (in her words) "the exact same story". Now, we all know that it's not exactly the same story, but that's how she remembers. I wonder if she (and most civilians) wouldn't take another FF vs. Doom, starting with a powerless FF, as just another take of the same story. I'm not sure many civilians would be interested on anything resembling another introduction.

That said, "Terror in a Tiny Town" is a great story, sure.

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 February 2017 at 8:56am | IP Logged | 11  

Fair point, Mario.... but I think the key is setting the tone right and also getting a proper CAST. (No race swapping please.) Plus, Make Doom
LOOK LIKE DOOM.

-C!

Side note: Only nostalgia comes from the cover I believe. Plus, take "anniversary" off the cover and it reads like another FF issue.

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 February 2017 at 9:57am | IP Logged | 12  

I think the 'just another take of the same story' aspect is a strength -- because the story pulls the carpet out from under anyone thinking it is just another straight origin tale. The beauty is that it does also give you the origin anyway, thus keeping the door open on anyone new to the party.

<< Prev Page of 9 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version