Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 9 Next >>
Topic: What JB FF story would make a great movie? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 January 2017 at 8:01pm | IP Logged | 1  

Even though FF #204-214 was not written by Byrne, but drawn by him, this would make the ultimate film!!  It is the story arc where Reed, Sue & Ben are slowly getting older after being zapped by the Skrulls aging ray. And we have the amazing battle between Galactus and Sphinx.
Back to Top profile | search

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 January 2017 at 8:48pm | IP Logged | 2  

Annual 17, maybe? The Skrull Milk story. I would love to see the Skrulls in a FF
movie.

I considered that as my pick, Mario. I decided against making it the next
FF movie since I wouldn't want the first one to lean quite that horrific.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Brian Kelly
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 January 2017 at 1:10am | IP Logged | 3  

Yes, I'd love to see the Skrulls in an FF movie as well!

The FF story that I remember thinking at the time I read it would make a great movie or tv show was the "What If the FF had never got their powers?". Obviously, since no powers, would not work. It's always been one of my favorites.

Edited by Brian Kelly on 29 January 2017 at 7:52am

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 January 2017 at 3:03am | IP Logged | 4  

Slight drift... Here the KILLER Byrne/Sinnott FF Poster for Coca Cola
------------------------------------------------------------ ------------------------------
Gotta be the quintessential example of someone drawing 'on model' even if that model is way off his actual art style. How much of this was Byrne and how much Sinnott I wonder. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 29 January 2017 at 6:53am | IP Logged | 5  

Some of you are leaning toward stories that (a) require too much prior knowledge, and (b) show the characters in something other than their usual condition.

Christopher Frost
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 January 2017 at 9:24am | IP Logged | 6  

I agree. That's the problem (if you want to call it that) with #236, it's terrific as an anniversary story but as a standalone introduction story, it doesn't have the same impact. I would favor the everyone vs. Galactus story from 242-244 as it is both a great story and it features other Marvel heroes that would allow them to tie it into the greater MCU.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 29 January 2017 at 10:13am | IP Logged | 7  

I would favor the everyone vs. Galactus story from 242-244 as it is both a great story and it features other Marvel heroes that would allow them to tie it into the greater MCU.

••

But apply the "every issue (movie) is the first for somebody." Who is Galactus? What is his association with the FF? And, for that matter, who are those other heroes?

Michael Arndt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 January 2017 at 12:02pm | IP Logged | 8  

For me it would be the first one JB did when he jumped on his run. Fantastic Four #232-- Back to the Basics. You have a contained story involving all four. Then at the very end you have your cameo appearance by another Marvel character (Dr. Strange). Throw in a small scene of them acquiring their powers and go from there.

Edited by Michael Arndt on 29 January 2017 at 12:02pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Flavio Sapha
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 January 2017 at 7:44pm | IP Logged | 9  

THE MAN WITH THE POWER story was my fave! I think that kind of sci-fi, reality shifting, is very much in vogue now...

Christopher Frost
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 January 2017 at 9:37pm | IP Logged | 10  

But apply the "every issue (movie) is the first for somebody." Who is Galactus? What is his association with the FF? And, for that matter, who are those other heroes?

My thinking is that this theoretical movie would be their introduction to the Marvel Cinematic Universe shared by the Avengers films and that as a result, the audience would already have a passing familiarity with characters like Spider-Man, Thor, Dr. Strange, etc. Short of doing yet another origin film (currently two out of the three FF films in existence) it seemed to me that utilizing a story that featured guest appearances from other Marvel characters that appeared in recent films would be the way to go. As for explaining Galactus and Terrax, that could be handled with a couple of exposition scenes to provide a little context and background for them. Not to mention that the old "heroes have to team up to beat the bad guy and save the planet" story trope makes for a good movie.

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 29 January 2017 at 11:00pm | IP Logged | 11  

The problem with this topic is that this was such a perfect COMIC BOOK!  Leaning towards single issue stories and updates and twists on old characters and concepts, JB's run does not really lend itself to the Big Screen.  BUT a lot of it would make a fantastic TV show!

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 30 January 2017 at 10:16am | IP Logged | 12  

Actually, the topic question seems to lean towards the ideal FF movie adaptation being "Terror in a Tiny Town". (to me it contains all the necessary elements.) Everyone seems to have their favorite JB story but forget that this adaptation needs to appeal to the general public as well as comic book fans. "Terror..." does that and even gives us a unique perspective on the origin of the FF plus introduces us to Dr. Doom in a great way.

Also, I like the idea of NOT using the Avengers, Spider-Man, Dr. Strange in what should be the FF's "first" movie set in the Marvel Cinematic Universe. There would be plenty of opportunities to do the Galactic Storyline in a future film, just as Marvel Studios set up the upcoming Avengers: Infinity War film.

-C!

Edited by Charles Valderrama on 30 January 2017 at 10:26am
Back to Top profile | search | www

<< Prev Page of 9 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version