Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 3
Topic: Brainiac Robot Body Design (Do you like it or not?)) (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 November 2016 at 9:45am | IP Logged | 1  

Ariel, I get now what you mean. I hadn't thought of that as the original characterization - quite the opposite, in fact - but the concept of Brainiac as a living machine is an interesting one, and I can surely see your point; the new design definitely presents that.

I still think that, as an agent of the Robot Slavemasters of Colu, a more humanoid form suited him better - but once his programming changed, a physical change wasn't out of order.

I just don't like it. :)
Back to Top profile | search

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 November 2016 at 11:22am | IP Logged | 2  

Why retain the name of the old character? Why not just create a new character, fergawdsakes? For licensing purposes.

The Eighties were shaping up as a time of radical change for these commercial properties. We saw creators go to town mangling, reinventing, reinterpreting, and generally twisting existing properties because "the market demanded it" and pretty much just because they could. Also, a new toy line was coming out. The new design made for an excellent toy and the name was readily identifiable, associated with Superman, and had commercial value. "Brainiac" is a major foe of Superman. "Scarybot 2000" is not.

The "original" interpretation of Brainiac had nothing to do with computers or the Robot Masters of Colu. He was simply a crafty space villain with a pet monkey, miniaturizing and collecting alien cities for scientific study. When National received word from an advertiser they were producing a computer gadget called "Brainiac," they thought it would be best to tie the two together by re-imagining their character as a super-intelligent computer. The rationalization for his human form, space monkey-pal, and later son, Vril Dox, to serve as stealth agents for the Robots of Colu all came after the fact.* 

And again, it's worth noting, none of that went away. All of it was still a part of the character's history with this change. Nothing in Brainiac Five's history needed to change (except possibly the story of Pulsar Stargrave). Nothing in LEGION '89 had to be rejiggered. Everything still worked. We just now had a very different, much more menacing version of Brainiac as a result.

* Did we ever see a single Silver or Bronze Age story in which Brainiac did anything for his supposed masters back home? Just curious...

Edited by Brian Hague on 07 November 2016 at 12:11pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Ariel Justel
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 November 2016 at 2:40pm | IP Logged | 3  

Trevor Smith

You were very clear about your standing about this design. I was just thanking you for sharing your opinion. :)

Trevor Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 November 2016 at 6:06am | IP Logged | 4  

Understood, thanks for the clarification. :)

Jason Czeskleba
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 November 2016 at 1:03pm | IP Logged | 5  

Brian Hague wrote:
The new design made for an excellent toy and the name was readily identifiable, associated with Superman, and had commercial value. "Brainiac" is a major foe of Superman. "Scarybot 2000" is not.

I would guess most people who already knew the name "Brainiac" were not buying the toy, and most kids who bought the toy were not familiar with the old comic character.  And any kid who was familiar with or had a fondness for the old character would be confused or disappointed anyway, since they looked nothing alike.  I don't understand the value of putting a readily identifiable name with a completely new visual/concept.  A new character (with a sincere attempt at an appropriate name, unlike your hypothetical "scarybot") would I think be just as successful in terms of merchandising.

The trouble with creating a new character and giving it the old character's name (under the guise of a revamp) is that it takes the old character out circulation permanently.  If you're a fan who thought the old character had value, that can be disappointing.  

Edited by Jason Czeskleba on 11 November 2016 at 1:17pm

Ariel Justel
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 November 2016 at 1:35pm | IP Logged | 6  

Jason,

Why can't we just take it as an evolution of the character?

As another member already explained, the change did not invalidate the previous Brainiac's stories at all. It was the original Brainiac, reborn.

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 November 2016 at 1:43pm | IP Logged | 7  

The change did not remove the original from circulation. Certainly not permanently. Within a year of the new design's debut, DC published a Superman Special by Gil Kane speculating on what would have occurred had Brainiac's transformation not taken place. Fans of the old version got a book starring him almost immediately. 

By not "making it all neverwas" the old version remained as a storytelling resource, to be revisited as DC chose. 

As for the "general public never knows what it's buying anyway and doesn't care" argument, I contend that they often do. Not specifically in all cases, but Brainiac was a known quantity from the Filmation cartoons and Super Friends as well as the comics. Marketing the Ed Hannigan design as "Schematik!" or "DeathMetal!" (two attempts with more marketing sincerity, if that isn't a contradiction in terms) might have sold perhaps, but would have done nothing to protect and promote the existing intellectual property of "Brainiac," and could have left some with a passing familiarity with the franchise asking, "Schematik? I thought the robot guy Superman fought was Brainiac..." 

The old character did have value and continued to do so. The new one readily allowed for that in a way that the coming reboots would not.

Edited by Brian Hague on 11 November 2016 at 1:44pm

Jason Czeskleba
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 November 2016 at 3:38pm | IP Logged | 8  

Ariel Justel wrote:
Why can't we just take it as an evolution of the character?

Evolution happens gradually, not overnight.  I'm not opposed to seeing a character change over time, with the times.  I'm not even opposed to the idea of revamping or modernizing a character.  I just think in this particular case, they made so many significant changes in the character in one fell swoop that he essentially was a new character, not an updated version of the old.  What is the essence of a character if not his appearance and personality, the two things that were completely altered in this changeover?

Brian Hague wrote:
As for the "general public never knows what it's buying anyway and doesn't care" argument, I contend that they often do. Not specifically in all cases, but Brainiac was a known quantity from the Filmation cartoons and Super Friends as well as the comics.

I didn't say that all general public buyers wouldn't care.  Obviously, there were two types of kids who came across this toy:  those who had never heard of Brainiac, and those who were familiar with Brainiac from Super Friends or comics they'd seen.

I don't see how the Brainiac name attached to a new character would be a selling point for either of those groups.  The former group would make a buying decision based solely on how cool they thought the toy looked.  Whereas I would think the latter group would be confused or disappointed.  If I knew who Brainiac was, and specifically wanted a Brainiac toy, I'd want one that looked like the character I was familiar with and not something completely different.

Edited by Jason Czeskleba on 11 November 2016 at 5:45pm

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 November 2016 at 7:24pm | IP Logged | 9  

Some people are intrigued by the new and different. Marketing for decades thrived on selling the public "New" Tide detergent, "New" models of cars each year, and of course, "New" Coke. If they'd gone with some other name for New Coke, say for instance, Colabot 2000, no one would have cared, either one way or the other. The fact that we're still talking about it so many years later in a very important respect means that it worked.

No one on this board is starting a thread asking, "What did everyone think of the brand-new, completely unrelated to any previously existing character Killg%re? Did you like that he wasn't based on anybody?" The fact that the new Brainiac was Brainiac made him interesting, and as we see demonstrated here, controversial even today.

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

<< Prev Page of 3
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version