Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 3 Next >>
Topic: Evil Nazis and Dirty Commies (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 October 2016 at 6:23am | IP Logged | 1  

They don't want their kids to know about Nazis...? Are they imbeciles?

Speaking as a Jew, I am appalled, and distressed to an extreme degree that some people are trying to cover up the Holocaust. Speaking as having a bit of Russian ancestry, it is a horrific disservice to those who were brutally tortured and killed, let alone those who died in combat. And speaking as a human, we have to strive to NEVER FORGET. And never let it happen again.

"Can't teach children about Nazis..." Yeah, well, let's put World War II on a standardized test and THEN see what happens.
Back to Top profile | search

Steven Myers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 October 2016 at 7:25am | IP Logged | 2  

Extreme religious groups would be the closest modern equivalent, I think. Not just the ones we think of as "terrorists" either.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Joe S. Walker
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 October 2016 at 7:28am | IP Logged | 3  

Perhaps Marvel have some special reason for not offending people in Germany? Have to admit I'm a fan of the silver age Commie-villain stories.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 08 October 2016 at 7:50am | IP Logged | 4  

It has been my experience that there are a lot of fans/readers who are ignorant of the Past and determined to remain so. They do not want their comic books turning into "history lessons," tho they often miss the rather obvious fact that a story in, say, THE INVADERS is little different from one in THE AVENGERS.

And, of course, there was that fan who told me, most seriously and sincerely, that altho he loved my stuff, he would not be buying HIDDEN YEARS because he didn't like "stories set in the Past." This while wearing a STAR WARS t-shirt.

Mario Ribeiro
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 October 2016 at 9:09am | IP Logged | 5  

As a kid, once I did the Nazi salute in public, simply because I thought the villains were cool in Raiders of the Lost Ark. My father got seriously angry and told me to never do that again. It wasn't a trauma, it was just a lesson. No details, he just told me that Nazis had existed and had killed a lot of people. No words on reasons or concentration camps or anything like that. And that was all I needed to know back then.

Michael Hogan
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 October 2016 at 1:40pm | IP Logged | 6  

JB, this topic reminds me of a panel in FF#250 when it is revealed that
the "X-Men" are actually Skrulls, and Ben Grimm responds with
"Skrulls! You guys are worse than Nazis!!" (or words to that effect).

Loved it!

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 08 October 2016 at 2:01pm | IP Logged | 7  

There is a curious incongruity in so many fans who simultaneously reject the Past, yet want the characters forever mired in it. Who were outraged when I borrowed pre-existing continuity to get the Dirty Commies out of the Hulk's origin, replacing them with Skrulls.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 October 2016 at 2:09pm | IP Logged | 8  

But who, in the world today, has the same kind of OOMPH?

Just had a thought - very dangerous for me to do that - and I'm wondering...

Secret societies. There is a mystique about them. There's a distrust of them. Could they work if used more?

Michael Casselman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 October 2016 at 7:13pm | IP Logged | 9  

Aren't there restrictions on showing Nazi symbolism on items for sale? Wouldn't that alone put a crimp in potential sales here in the states and over in the European market (especially Germany)?

Wrestler John Bradshaw Layfield was almost arrested several years ago when he (as a heel wrestler) was trying to rile up the crowd during a German house show and started goose-stepping and giving Nazi salutes (which apparently is illegal). With restrictions like that, maybe transferring that 'aura' to a HYDRA-like agency is the next best alternative. Didn't they used to discuss the parallels between real and comic book history like this  in text pieces and letter columns? I seem to remember getting a better education (and the incentive to read more about the real history) about WWII from comics than I ever did in school.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 09 October 2016 at 7:14am | IP Logged | 10  

I did a couple of issues of WONDER WOMAN that had swastikas on the covers. When I turned them in to the editor, I said "Here's two more we won't be able to sell in Europe."

In foreign editions of BATMAN & CAPTAIN AMERICA, the Red Skull is sporting a big white circle on his chest. I would have minded that bit of tinkering less if the censors had just fill the whole thing with black.

Elsewhere, LucasFilm insisted that Marvel remove the swastikas from the RAIDERS OF THE LOST ARK cover, even tho they are all over the movie!

I noticed the other day that the second season of THE MAN IN THE HIGH CASTLE is beginning on Amazon, and once again eagles have replaced the swastikas that were in the original ads, completely negating the power of the shot.

Joe S. Walker
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 October 2016 at 8:11am | IP Logged | 11  

The Residents' album "Third Reich And Roll" had 113 swastikas on the cover. It was released in Germany with "Censored" labels over them all.

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 October 2016 at 8:25am | IP Logged | 12  

Regarding the `cool` uniforms,it was only in the last couple of years that i learned they were designed by Hugo Boss.
-------------------------------------
As I understand it, the company made them all. Hugo Boss the man himself designed the ugly stuff (i.e. Brown shirts, Nazi youth). The 'cool' stuff was designed by others.

<< Prev Page of 3 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version