Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 6 Next >>
Topic: How Important Are (Retrospective) Letters Pages For You? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 October 2016 at 1:53pm | IP Logged | 1  

Certainly I think older comics letter pages were pretty important and would like to see them included in reprints.

I'd love that. I'd love reaching the end of a story in a TPB and then having a page saying, "Now let's see what comments people left for that particular issue." I would so want that!
Back to Top profile | search

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 October 2016 at 3:32pm | IP Logged | 2  

Sarcasm noted. But unlike intrusive ads that served no purpose, some comics had letters pages that seemed like extensions of the comic itself or thoughts from the creator (A Flame This High in JBNM and the Invisibles letters pages come to mind as being some truly great letters pages), not just comments from the fans. And you could always turn the page if you didn't want to read them. Of course, I'm sure some folks, like yourself, would balk at the prospect of paying a bit more for those pages which is probably why they are rarely to never included in reprints. It's not like they would ruin the flow if placed at the end of the TPB or that older comics don't include pages and pages of unnecessary exposition detailing previous issues that you are currently holding in your hand and literally just read. 

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 October 2016 at 3:46pm | IP Logged | 3  

Erm, actually, NO sarcasm. I'm actually lobbying to get them. When I say "I would so want that," it is what it means. No double-meanings or vagueness from me. 

I want letters included in TPBs. Surely my comments from page 1 of this topic show that?

Sorry if you thought otherwise. I don't do sarcasm. My record on this forum should show that. 

EDIT: Don't mean to be harsh and not sure if it's a cultural thing, but when I say "I would so want that", it means exactly that! 

Edited by Robbie Parry on 07 October 2016 at 3:48pm

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 October 2016 at 4:08pm | IP Logged | 4  

Sorry, man. I thought you were being ironic. Maybe it is a cultural thing because irony and sarcasm is really pervasive in America. And as evidenced here, not always easy to pick up on via text only because you aren't getting tone or facial expressions or inflection. I had read your earlier comments now that you mention it but had just woken up and had forgotten who all had commented, took your post as the type of sarcasm I'm used to experiencing on a daily basis by folks who apparently want to be bitter about everything. Good to hear you were being genuine and also refreshing.

But there are sadly people who would balk at the idea of paying for fans' thoughts. Not without some justification, mind you, but I, like yourself, loved the letters pages and wouldn't mind a bit. And it's the letters pages where the creators themselves responded that are the ones I enjoy the most. 

Edited by Shane Matlock on 07 October 2016 at 4:08pm

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 October 2016 at 4:14pm | IP Logged | 5  

Hey, thanks Shane. No problem. 

Yeah, irony and sarcasm here in UK, too, but although I can't speak for every Brit, when I, personally, say "I so want that", it's a desire to get it. Sorry to hear that you experience sarcasm on a daily basis, that sucks.

Like I said, I mean I have "The Strange Deaths Of Batman" TPB. Some great stories. And I'm just dying to hear readers' thoughts. It's why I am spending less on TPBs and more on back issues. 

In particular, there's a story (DETECTIVE COMICS #347) in that TPB which knocked my socks off. Now I'm curious to her readers' thoughts on it. I guess that means tracking down #350 or #351. Who knows? I think TPBs including letters pages would be a big plus. I'd happily pay an extra £5 for it!

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 October 2016 at 11:25pm | IP Logged | 6  

I'm actually a fan of sarcasm but the problem is when most responses are ironic sarcasm you start to think that nothing is sincere and genuine.

Those old comic letters pages are great. I like finding stuff in them like current creators who got their start as fans writing letters. George RR Martin had a fan letter in an early issue of Fantastic Four. I believe Kurt Busiek was a big letter writer.  But with some of those older back issues out of most people's price range it limits people's access to reading those letters pages when they aren't included in the reprints.

Here is George's letter for FF #17.

Edited by Shane Matlock on 07 October 2016 at 11:27pm

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 October 2016 at 11:33pm | IP Logged | 7  

And here's a fan letter from Mad Magazine that pertains to this forum:

Edited by Shane Matlock on 07 October 2016 at 11:35pm

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 October 2016 at 3:49am | IP Logged | 8  

Wow, great finds!

I wonder how many famous names I saw. Maybe I didn't recognize them at the time. This is why it'd be great to see letters.

Gosh, I miss logos (is logo the right word?) and stuff like this:

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 October 2016 at 4:26am | IP Logged | 9  

The thing about that George R.R. Martin letter is that Paul Gambaccini is a veteran U.K. D.J. with a well respected knowledge of both music and comics...small world!
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 October 2016 at 4:58am | IP Logged | 10  

Very cool. I've also found out via Google, that Paul Gambaccini was such a prolific letter writer he was paid homage in DC comics by Julie Schwatz with the character Paul Gambi, superhero tailor. Also Gambaccini claims he came up with "Brand Echh," later popularized by Stan Lee. 

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 October 2016 at 4:59am | IP Logged | 11  

I didn't know about any of this!

Really tempted to read old letters now. 

William Costello
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 October 2016 at 7:39pm | IP Logged | 12  

I always liked the letters pages. The only comic I'm reading right now that has a letters page is Patsy Walker (AKA Hellcat) from MARVEL. DC hasn't had letters pages in at least 5 years or so.

<< Prev Page of 6 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version