Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 6 Next >>
Topic: How Important Are (Retrospective) Letters Pages For You? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 October 2016 at 7:01pm | IP Logged | 1  

One of the funniest ones I remember was when a fan wrote into the Fantastic Four, taking JB to task for having ruined Sue's Lasagna.
Gonna have to look that one up.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 October 2016 at 7:52pm | IP Logged | 2  

Loved the letters pages... 'cause I would always write in, back in the '80s, and I somehow managed to get letters printed in such titles as AMAZING SPIDER-MAN, JB's FANTASTIC FOUR, MANTECH ROBOT WARRIORS, DC's V series, and JB's SUPERMAN.

I was quite proud of myself, back then when I was only 13 or 14!

Back to Top profile | search

Noah Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 October 2016 at 7:41pm | IP Logged | 3  

As a kid of about eight or nine (mid-eighties), I didn't read credit boxes but I LOVED the letter columns. So that meant I didn't really know the names of my favorite writer and artists but I did start to recognize names that popped up in letter columns every month -- T.M. Maple, Dale Coe, Charles Brown, Joe Frank, etc. If those guys did signings at conventions, I would've stood in line.

(Still glad I did eventually learn who that "John" guy everyone kept mentioning in the letters was)
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Joseph Greathouse
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 October 2016 at 11:37pm | IP Logged | 4  

I think letter columns are pretty neat. I look at them a lot like behind the scenes features on a DVD.  They were a fantastic little way to gain insight into the creative process and maybe get a hint into where things were going. 

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 October 2016 at 4:25am | IP Logged | 5  

The Marvel ones made you feel like part of an exclusive club,especially with Stan`s Soapbox and the humorous replies to letters,and who could forget the much sought after `No-prize`?

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 October 2016 at 11:29am | IP Logged | 6  

I picked up some comics today, one of them was TRIGGERMAN by Titan and ANGEL CITY by Omni Press.

Fairly impressed. First issues, but no invitations to write or e-mail in. I would have liked to. Sure, I could find a generic/standard e-mail address for those publishers, but who's to say they'd publish an e-mail?

A letters page e-mail, and an invitation to write/e-mail, would be helpful. Otherwise, I could be e-mailing anyone, i.e. the teaboy or reprographics assistant if I simply e-mail a generic address.

Years ago, a UK comic complained that it hadn't received letters. I did point out (on a forum) that they hadn't invited anyone to write/e-mail in. Yes, like any publisher, their address is public domain, but most comics/magazines require a specific e-mail address for letters.

I subscribe to LAND ROVER MONTHLY, but I wouldn't be able to e-mail my thoughts to the generic address as I think that's simply for the publisher or advertising department. So I e-mail the specific letters page address.

Come on, publishers, invite people to e-mail. You'll complain about no letters but it's a self-fulfilling prophecy: don't invite anyone to write in and they won't. And then you'll complain no-one ever writes in!

Paul Go
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 October 2016 at 12:43pm | IP Logged | 7  

I also loved the letter pages, and also the old advertisements.  Hence I will always prefer back issues and personal cover to cover scans over collected editions and Comixology.  

I recall writing in once but not getting published, but then again I wasn't as eloquent (nor prolific) as others.  I'm guessing that they published a few of many in each issue.

And I too enjoyed A FLAME THIS HIGH

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 October 2016 at 12:48pm | IP Logged | 8  

Although I started the topic talking about letters pages, the ads make me smile, too. Did anyone get a body quite like Charles Atlas? ;-)

Also, did those x-ray specs work? If so, how? Or was it a big con?

Seem to recall superhero toothbrushes in one issue, too.

Magical times...

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 October 2016 at 2:01pm | IP Logged | 9  

Didn`t the X-ray specs just have a feather in them?

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 October 2016 at 5:26pm | IP Logged | 10  

Bill, I wish I knew. I doubt I ordered any. ;-) 

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 October 2016 at 9:47pm | IP Logged | 11  

The fact we are U.K. based probably saved us a lot of money,no cardboard tanks,submarines or non-primate sea monkey`s for us!

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 06 October 2016 at 11:16pm | IP Logged | 12  

John Byrne's Next Men had one of my favorite letters pages of any comic. It was great getting to hear JB's thoughts and see his interaction with the fans in the days before the internet. These days I don't think letters pages are as important, because of the existence of things like this forum. I don't even read most of them anymore with the exception of a few books like the Brubaker's comics where he gives some good recommendations for movies and books and TV shows and the comic Lazarus by Rucka and Lark which is tends to be very informative and sometimes has supplemental material for the comic. Certainly I think older comics letter pages were pretty important and would like to see them included in reprints.

<< Prev Page of 6 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version