Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 4 Next >>
Topic: What’s your favorite decade? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 01 October 2016 at 11:37pm | IP Logged | 1  

To answer my own question...I'd have to say the '70's.   I know it's the much maligned decade, the one between the awesome 60s and the totally rad 80s, but as a child of the late 60s I grew up on 70s comics.  Whatever they did got me into comics hardcore.  I understand that they have a "less than" appeal to most, but what can I do?  They're the comics I remember to this day and hold up as a standard of measurement that even some of the 80s comics y'all laude don't measure up to.  While I understand that it's not the "golden age"  it's still MY age, Sweet Christmas and all.

Back to Top profile | search

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 October 2016 at 4:55am | IP Logged | 2  

I was much more a Marvel than DC kid, and I too was a child of the 60s who just missed their 60s renaissance. My jumping-on point was Neal Adams, effectively, in both Marvel (and DC), but as I became an avid reader in the 70s, I read issues from the prior decade, either originals or reprints, and it didn't take long for me to discover that the 60s was Marvel's peak. So, during my long readership, going into the very early 80s, I remained a child out of time because those peak years were (and are) also my favorite.

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 October 2016 at 8:08am | IP Logged | 3  

80's were my favorite, if only because that was the bulk of my formative years. It seemed as if I could pick up virtually any Marvel book and enjoy it. DC's stories were tepid by comparison, but were certainly improved by Frank Miller and John Byrne's contributions. Once in a while I was able to snag First Comic's offerings such as Grimjack, Nexus or American Flagg, interesting stories which hinted at the weird but good stuff going on with independent publishers. If only comics continued on that trajectory. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Phil Kreisel
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 October 2016 at 8:28pm | IP Logged | 4  

The 60's.  Marvel was cool, but I also liked DC, especially the "imaginary" stories.  Spider-man, Avengers and the original X-Men were my favorites, but I read all of the Marvel line up.

Mike Norris
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 October 2016 at 8:40pm | IP Logged | 5  

The 70's and early 80's were my prime comics "decade". Most of my fondest memories are of the storylines from that era. Englehart on Avengers, Cap and the JLA. Claremont, Cockrum and Byrne on the X-Men. Kubert's Tarzan. Gerber on Howard the Duck and Defenders. Wolfman and Perez on New Teen Titans. Levitz and Giffen's LSH. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Robert Bradley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 October 2016 at 10:44pm | IP Logged | 6  

I'm going to have to go with my first 10 years - 1974 to 1983.

The comics were probably better in the mid-60's, but in the 70's I could enjoy all those in reprints in addition to my new comics.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Darin Henry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 October 2016 at 11:52pm | IP Logged | 7  

I am mostly a Marvel reader but I will go with Jan 76 to Jan 85.  The start date is less accurate because from 76-80 I was only reading the comics I could find in department store 3-packs (and I loved almost all of them) but looking on mike's amazing world of comics makes it much easier to pinpoint my jumping off point.  In Jan 85, Secret Wars 12 ended and DC's Crisis began. Accurate or not, it seemed to me that this was the point where Shooter's success with SW made him try to fix things that weren't broken.  Within 6 months, I had dropped all comics except Stern/Buscema's Avengers run. Of course it didn't hurt that I was now 14 and girls and sports began to tempt me away from my less social hobbies.  It would be another dozen years before I really returned to comics avidly. 

In 2nd place, I'd go with 1960-1969 because of the sheer fun it is to watch Marvel's Universe grow under Stan's unique voice.   And in 3rd, I have a soft spot in my heart for the seldom-loved 1996-2000 era because it was the last time Marvel books were fun and new (Thunderbolts/MC2/Deadpool ongoing, etc.) while still respecting their past (X-Men Hidden Years, Untold Tales of Spider-Man). After that the fog of Quesada/Jemas/Alonso descended and it has yet to lift, unfortunately. 

Edited by Darin Henry on 02 October 2016 at 11:53pm
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

David Lowe
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 October 2016 at 3:42am | IP Logged | 8  

It would have to be the 1980's for me (I was 7-16 years old); My comics evolution started with the Beano, Buster, Whizzer and Chips, then Star Wars comics, then 2000AD, Marvel UK reprints, Warrior, alongside Transformers (UK), then discovering Miller's Daredevil, Byrne/Claremont X Men (after the fact), ending with Watchmen and Cerebus! 

By the way, am slightly confused. I read from the original post that decades was to be defined as year 0-9? Or is it any 10 year period?

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 October 2016 at 6:50am | IP Logged | 9  

My "golden decade" was probably the 70s. I discovered comics as a kid, probably in '71, and read them as much as I could until we moved in 1976 and I didn't have access to them any more--at least, not until I went to c college in '82.

Thing is, I used to be able to walk to places to buy comics but after we moved, not possible. Access has a lot to do with one's reading habits and this was way before collected editions were a thing, much less available in a library.

The 70s were a dynamic time. All kinds of traditions were being tested, some rules were broken, and Stan Lee's more serialized storytelling was replacing the "done in one"--and introducing continuity.

Many, perhaps even most, of comics' greatest stories lie outside this stretch of time. But it was in those days that I discovered and fell in love with comics, and how can you turn your back on your first love?

Edited by Andrew Bitner on 03 October 2016 at 6:51am

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 October 2016 at 12:04pm | IP Logged | 10  

It is interesting - and I am no exception - that a lot of our favourite eras coincide with when we discovered comics.

Not complaining about that, simply making an observation.

That said, objectively speaking, I think I would have still opted for my choice (80s). I think the merchandise enhanced my enjoyment. Some 70s superhero toys were poor quality, i.e. oversized clothes, figures that didn't look like the characters, etc. So I am grateful that the 80s gave us the "Super Powers" and "Secret Wars" collections.

Kevin Brown
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 October 2016 at 12:09pm | IP Logged | 11  

If you're talking a specific decade, then the 70's for me.  

If you were to allow a specific 10 year period, then 1976-1986 for me.  Only because I discovered my first comics store in 1976.

Be that as it may, in the 1970's is when I started to get more into super-hero books instead of funny books.

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 October 2016 at 1:46pm | IP Logged | 12  

1980s for me.

The stars seemed to align and there was -- for a brief few years-- a perfect fit of creative teams and the titles they were working on.

Miller and Daredevil. JB and the FF. Walt Simonson and Thor. Roger Stern and John Buscema on Avengers. Tom DeFalco and Ron Frenz on Amazing Spider-Man.

It also helped that I was a perfect age to go doolally for it all.

<< Prev Page of 4 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version