Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 4 Next >>
Topic: What’s your favorite decade? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member
L’Homme Diabolique

Posted: 01 October 2016 at 9:04am | IP Logged | 1  

The mid 70s through the mid 80s. 

I started steadily reading comics around 1983, when I was 8.  By the late 80s, my interest in 'new' comics began to falter.  I had been primarily a DC reader, but the messy aftermath of CRISIS pushed me away from their line.  I spent several years back-filling my collection with (mostly Marvel) titles I had missed in the 80s and from before my time in the 70s.   So, for me, the peak comic book years were from about '75 to '85.

Edited by Thom Price on 01 October 2016 at 9:04am
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 October 2016 at 9:15am | IP Logged | 2  

I`m torn between the 70`s and 80`s...in the 70`s we were getting the U.K. black and white titles reprinting the 60`s Marvel classics,plus i got a Saturday job and started buying the distributed U.S. comics albeit 3 months late,i was at that age when the whole scene caught my imagination.Then came the 80`s with J.B.`s FF,Alpha Flight and Superman.Miller`s Daredevil,Ronin,Dark Knight Returns,Alan Moore`s Swamp Thing,Watchmen,Marvelman etc.< method="post" name="frmAddMessage" ="http://www.byrnerobotics.com/forum/post_message.asp?PN=" style="color: rgb(60, 60, 60); font-family: "Times New Roman"; font-size: medium; text-align: -webkit-center; : rgb(0, 0, 0);">
  < ="" name="email" value="True" ="">Email Notify me of Replies 

< ="submit" name="Submit" value="Post Reply" ="30"> < ="" name="Preview" value="Preview Post"> < ="reset" name="Reset" value="Clear ">

Watch this topic for repliesPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version  Email this topic Email this topic

<>Forum Jump < name="JumpForum">            < value="" ed="">-- Select Forum --  < value="forum_topics.asp?FID=16">   Commissioned Artwork  < value="forum_topics.asp?FID=19">   Chronology  < value="forum_topics.asp?FID=3">   The John Byrne Forum  < value="forum_topics.asp?FID=7">   Sports Talk  < value="forum_topics.asp?FID=8">   Buy, Sell, Trade  < value="forum_topics.asp?FID=6">   Fan Fic  < value="forum_topics.asp?FID=10">   Star Wars  < value="forum_topics.asp?FID=11">   Star Trek  < value="forum_topics.asp?FID=12">   TV  < value="forum_topics.asp?FID=13">   Movies  < value="forum_topics.asp?FID=14">   Music  < value="forum_topics.asp?FID=17">   Dr. Who< value="http://www.byrnerobotics.com/FAQ/categories.asp">   FAQ< value="http://www.artofjohnbyrne.com/">   Galleries< value="http://www.byrnerobotics.com/Checklist/categories.asp">   Checklist 
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You can edit your posts in this forum
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Petter Myhr Ness
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 October 2016 at 9:48am | IP Logged | 3  

The 80ies.
That's when I really got into comics. Some (if not most) of my favourite stories came out in this decade. And a large amount of them were made by a guy named Byrne...

Back to Top profile | search

Dave Phelps
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 October 2016 at 10:01am | IP Logged | 4  

The 80s, for the same reasons other 80s preferers have listed.

Bill Mimbu
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 October 2016 at 10:14am | IP Logged | 5  

60s was the foundation. 80s was the resurgence. I like the 60s the best!

I have to agree... The 1980s is where I rediscovered the enjoyment of comic books again (all genres, not just superheroes), but the 1960s were the most fun (and I still do have fun reading through those stories of that time period).

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 October 2016 at 10:47am | IP Logged | 6  

Nostalgia dictates that it be the Seventies for me. That was the decade when I discovered comics in all their wonder. Through 100 page giants, tabloid-sized collector's editions, & books from the library, I was able to find out not just about the characters as they were today, but as they had been throughout all of the decades to that point. The Golden Age was available to me; the Fifties with EC and Marvel's return to super-heroes; the Sixties with Mort Weisinger's Superman mythos and early Marvel... It was all there for the taking, in reprints and retrospectives. Comics were an endless realm of imaginative concepts and dynamic storytelling, filled with genuinely evocative and relatable characters here and there in amongst all the sturm und drang. Even when a given wasn't the best, it was still fascinating to me and I'd read it over and over again, figuring out what I liked about it or didn't like. How this was done or that. Re-drawing the figures onto typing paper or simply clipping them out of the covers and saving them in a legal-sized envelope so I could stage massive, Colorforms-style battles on my mattress... 

Arguably, the best-written stories and best creative runs came soon after in the Eighties (for me, the early part of the Eighties as there isn't much for the latter half that I have any use for), but the foundation for those days was laid for me earlier on. I'd have loved JB's run on the Fantastic Four anyway, I think, but seeing the series in reprints at its inception and then what was done with it later greatly enhanced the notion that here it was again, finally being done better than it had been in years! Heady stuff to be sure, but only possible for me through the lens of my intense albeit scattershot involvement with the history of the book up to that point, and all of that took place in the 70's.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Michael Wolner Jr
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 October 2016 at 12:12pm | IP Logged | 7  

My ten year are from 1975 to 1985. 
The Archie Goodwin time as EIC and early Jim Shooter EIC at Marvel.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 October 2016 at 4:01pm | IP Logged | 8  

Yeah, I started Marvel and DC in 1975 and I loved everything up until the mid-80's when CRISIS destroyed (literally!) the DC Multiverse and Marvel (I can't pinpoint why) seemed to start losing its way.

The 70's were great for me because both companies tried so many interesting things--we had the classics still looking like the classics, and we had new characters and concepts being explored.  I'm cheating a little bit here though since Marvel was doing so many reprints, my "70's" included the best of the 60's too!

The early 80's with Miller, Byrne, Simonson, etc. really getting rolling seemed like the great culmination of where books like DAREDEVIL, THOR, X-MEN, FANTASTIC FOUR, and some others should go.  And then...everything fell apart.  I drifted away, though there were a number of independents that grabbed me and kept my love for comics alive.

Robert Cosgrove
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 October 2016 at 6:37pm | IP Logged | 9  

As I'm about the same age as our esteemed host, it's not surprising that my answer is the same as his.  I might go a couple of years later, as it took a bit for the Silver Age to take off.  

John Popa
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 October 2016 at 6:53pm | IP Logged | 10  

Hm, my gut is to say the 90's since so much of my favorite stuff started in that decade - Transmetropolitan, The Authority, Planetary, Promethea, Top Ten, Dan Brereton's Nocturnals.  Granted a lot of that started in the last couple years of the decade but the early part of it saw some fun Marvel and DC stuff - the new Ghost Rider, my favorite Flash stuff that Mark Waid wrote, JB's Namor, not to mention the early Valiant stuff that I really enjoyed, especially Shadowman and the early return issues of Magnus, Robot Fighter. 

Edited by John Popa on 01 October 2016 at 6:54pm

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 October 2016 at 8:06pm | IP Logged | 11  

The 80s for me.  While I had a few comics in the 70s, I actually started collecting in the early 80s. Nothing matches Marvel in that time for me. 

James Best
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 October 2016 at 9:13pm | IP Logged | 12  

It has to be the 80s for me as well. That was when I discovered Marvel Comics (when I was just a freshman in high school) and ran through my senior year in college, when various friends introduced me to other titles that I had missed while I was studying.

Looking back on it, a lot of my preferences were based on the writer / artist combinations that were in place at DC and Marvel during that decade. It was a fabulous time to dive into comic books. Consider...

John Byrne (our superb host) and his 80s work on:
ACTION COMICS
SUPERMAN
MAN OF STEEL
LEGENDS
THE UNTOLD LEGEND OF THE BATMAN
THE AVENGERS
WEST COAST AVENGERS
ALPHA FLIGHT
X-MEN (the tail end of the Byrne/Claremont run)
CAPTAIN AMERICA (the all too brief Stern/Byrne combo)
FANTASTIC FOUR 
THE INCREDIBLE HULK (again, a short but great run)

The debut of Frank Miller and his 80s output:
DAREDEVIL
RONIN
WOLVERINE (the first four issue mini-series)

The 80s British invasion of Alan Moore with...
V FOR VENDETTA (loved David Lloyd's pencils)
WATCHMEN (ditto for Dave Gibbons)

My introduction to the talents of George Perez:
THE AVENGERS
WONDER WOMAN
NEW TEEN TITANS

And the talents of other DC / Marvel heavyweights:
IRON MAN with art by John Romita Jr.
THE INCREDIBLE HULK with Sal Buscema 
CONAN THE BARBARIAN with John Buscema / Roy Thomas
KING CONAN with Buscema & THomas at the helm
THOR with art by Keith Pollard and written by Mark Gruenwald
POWER MAN & IRON FIST with art by Kerry Gammill
GREEN ARROW - The Longbow Hunters by Mike Grell

Yes, I certainly read some great comics during the 90s and the 00s, but nothing compares to discovering those DC / Marvel characters while they are in the capable hands of the talented writers and artists that blossomed during the Eighties. They made a tremendous impression on me as a teenager and made reading comics a part of my life that I cherished for more than thirty years.

<< Prev Page of 4 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version