Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 4 Next >>
Topic: What’s your favorite decade? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Security
Robotmod

Posted: 01 October 2016 at 1:24am | IP Logged | 1  

Since this is a comic book forum, I'm talking comic books 'natch.  Decades are to be considered from the '0s to the '9s.  So 1960 - 1969 for example.  Name your favorite decade and WHY it's your favorite decade for comics.  Open ended question.    

Go.
Back to Top profile | search

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 October 2016 at 3:55am | IP Logged | 2  

I will be boringly predictable and say the 1980s. 

It's the era when I became a regular comic reader. And although every era has both good and bad stories, there was a lot to enjoy about that decade: our host's runs on FF and SUPERMAN; Frank Miller's DAREDEVIL; some pretty good Batman tales; and a lot of licensed properties such as G.I. JOE and TRANSFORMERS.

Also, it was the era where my enjoyment of the comics was enhanced by the merchandise. Kenner did a fantastic job with their "Super Powers" range whilst Mattel did the same with the "Secret Wars" toys. So not only was it a good time to be enjoying the comics, but there was plenty else to enjoy: the toys, the VHS releases of films like SUPERMAN THE MOVIE and countless other forms of merchandise.

Conrad Teves
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 October 2016 at 4:10am | IP Logged | 3  

70's.  From a nostalgia standpoint, I have the fondest memories, it's when I fell in love with the medium, and when I discovered the FF and X-Men.  I remember wonderful summers walking down to the local PDQ (convenience store) and perusing the spinner rack to buy a couple comics with my allowance.

As my big brother had a lot of comics, it's when I learned to appreciate the smell of old comics (still my favorite smell).

Life was uncomplicated, and I was (almost) oblivious to all the turmoil in the world.  Even reading old issues from that period can evoke the feeling.  (sigh)  Good times!

Last, but not least, it's when I discovered JB.  Space: 1999 No. 5!
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Trevor Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 October 2016 at 5:02am | IP Logged | 4  

Although the '70s are my entry point, and I have fond
memories, the '80s, when I re-entered the hobby, win by
a landslide. This is the era I discovered Byrne, Perez,
Miller and Simonson, among others. Although there were
events and crossovers, event-itis and gimmick-itis
hadn't taken hold. Late books hadn't become accepted
practice. I could go on and on!
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 01 October 2016 at 5:06am | IP Logged | 5  

My "decade" lies in the ten year span from 1956 to 1966. In other words, from when I started reading American superhero comics, to when, yeilding to peer pressure, I stopped.

Birth of the Silver Age, birth of the Marvel Age. All the characters still on model. Can't measure it any other way.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 October 2016 at 5:19am | IP Logged | 6  

Birth of the Silver Age, birth of the Marvel Age. All the characters still on model. Can't measure it any other way.

Do I have your permission to travel back to that era and "leap into" your body (i.e. QUANTUM LEAP) and relive it just a little?

Anthony J Lombardi
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 October 2016 at 5:32am | IP Logged | 7  

My favorite decade wouldn't fall entirely within the 70's  It would probably be more like 68 to 78. But since most of it is with in the 70's.

I began reading comics regularly in the early 80's. In 1982 my nana moved to Long Island from Jersey City. I was 10 years old. Before than I found comics in drug stores and corner markets. Nothing too spectacular most of the time. 

Every summer and holidays we would trek out to see her and spend sometime with her. Just off of Canal Street in NYC there was a little funky shop that caught my eye. It was called ZooZat. My first actual comic store. My father got me a few comics of my choice. I was in geek heaven. Every time we traveled to see nana dad would stop at ZooZat.

One Thanksgiving vaction while shopping not to far from nana's house I saw a comic shop. Wall to wall back issues. I had 20 dollars in my pocket. Birthday money from nana. I was in the store for over an hour hunting thru the rows and rows of back issues. There was a sale going on 50 % off back issues. I turned that 20 dollars into about 50 comics.

I discovered John Romita, Gil Kane, Herb Trimpe, Dave Cockrum, John Byrne, John Buscema Gene Colan, Jack Kirby, Steranko, Neal Adams Frank Robbins.

The Invaders, Werewolf By Night, Tomb of Dracula, Daredevil, Son of Satan, Ghost Rider, The Spectre, Dr. Strange, The JSA,  The Avengers. Marvel's Captain Marvel. DC's Captain Marvel, Nova.

That was my golden Age. My casual collecting now a days is done in an attempt to recapture that golden era in my life. I touch it every now and then. 

Edited by Anthony J Lombardi on 01 October 2016 at 5:33am

Joe Hollon
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 October 2016 at 6:42am | IP Logged | 8  

Gotta be the '60s.  If I could only read comics from one decade, that would give me pretty much all the amazing Silver Age DC stuff and of course the Marvel Age of Comics.....Ditko's Spider-Man, Kirby's FF, plenty of Curt Swan Superman and on and on and on....

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Jeremy Simington
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 October 2016 at 6:45am | IP Logged | 9  

1980-1989.  I was aged 6-15 and was reading comics like crazy.  I could get them on spinner racks just about anywhere.  I could even get digests in line with my parents at the grocery store!  The DC digests, by the way, were the best thing ever for a young comic book fan.  I'll never forget this one with The Flash and His Friends.  I knew who The Flash was, but hold on--who's this guy in the awesome yellow and red costume and who's this guy in the super-cool red and blue costume wearing a helmet? Kid Flash? Flash of Earth-2?  What the what?! 

Yeah, 80's were the best for me.

Steven Myers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 October 2016 at 6:58am | IP Logged | 10  

60s was the foundation. 80s was the resurgence. I like the 60s the best!
Back to Top profile | search | www

Rich Marzullo
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 October 2016 at 7:00am | IP Logged | 11  

The '90s, for me. The time period when collecting comics was a family hobby and I was introduced to amazing characters and story lines. 

Wish I could say something else, but hey, I was born in 1985, so... 

My dad introduced me to the works of Lee and Kirby, but they always seemed like his comics and stories, not mine. Buying Superman comics by JB, Jurgens and Bogdanove...those felt like my comics. 

Going to comic cons and stores was also one of the very few ways my brother and I bonded, and I will always be grateful to comic books for that opportunity. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 01 October 2016 at 8:51am | IP Logged | 12  

Probably much the same as Mr. Byrne. Even though I was born in 1961 and didn't start reading comics for a couple of years after that, I think that's my era of favorite comics. After the mid to late 70s, things started getting a tiny bit repetitive, and books started getting a little complicated in a way I didn't like.

After the early to mid-80s, everything fell to crap, as Marvel became X-Marvel, and the Crisis on Infinite Earths removed staying on model or having any consistent history. "This happened the way I say it did." "NO IT DIDN'T! IT HAPPENED THIS WAY!" All this to decide if Batman was a dick to Robin or not.

Page of 4 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version