Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 3 Next >>
Topic: She-Hulk no more... (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 September 2016 at 7:04am | IP Logged | 1  

Eventually there'll be something like SISTER POWER THE GEEK and then everyone except the terminally invested will know that this particular fad has had its day.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 September 2016 at 7:10am | IP Logged | 2  

Individuality must be stripped from all characters!

A lapsed comic fan I often speak of here seems to think there's some conspiracy about all these spin-off characters and multiple incarnations. He really does think it is about that.

I suggested to him the true reason: the almighty dollar. 

Why sell one Hulk book, or two, when you can sell two main Hulk books and several spin-off ones, too?

Seems more about marketing and making money. More toys to sell, also! 

I'm always open to other viewpoints, but I really don't see a conspiracy or anything. Not that anyone here has said that, it's just my friend, whenever a new incarnation is announced, seems to go on a rant that would make David Icke proud! 
Back to Top profile | search

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 September 2016 at 7:21am | IP Logged | 3  

Square pegs in round holes.

If you want to do a certain story, or take a certain slant in your storytelling, this is all fine. But do it with the character that suits best!

It's like in the Gotham TV series. They've decided they want to do a story about a cop surrounded by corruption who finds himself crossing all kinds of lines and fighting a dark side he discovers within himself. Potentially compelling stuff. But all kinds of wrong for Jim Gordon.

To wit, if you want to do a story about a noble person struggling with a monstrous raging gamma-spawned alter-ego, use the actual fricking Hulk. 

Gundars Berzins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 September 2016 at 7:22am | IP Logged | 4  

The hits just keep coming.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 September 2016 at 7:31am | IP Logged | 5  

I can't see any of Marvel's readers having any fun these days. Is there any reason they keep on buying this sh*t, other than to keep their long boxes filled?

Joseph Greathouse
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 September 2016 at 7:37am | IP Logged | 6  

I haven't had an interest in a She-Hulk comic since JB's initial run, nearly three decades ago. This has my attention as it ties to recent happenings. Will it get me to buy? Maybe.  I have kids have enjoyed Totally Awesome Hulk, and it has been fun.  But this is a bit more intriguing. 

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 September 2016 at 9:17am | IP Logged | 7  

The same kind of thinking that generates six Avengers titles (or however many the hell there are) and NO Fantastic Four titles.

I'm a little surprised the movie studios allow the multiple Avengers titles, or changing the Hulk by killing Bruce Banner, or however damn many Spider-Man titles there are. How does Marvel accommodate both the studio's demands and their need to deconstruct their own comic characters and books?

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 20 September 2016 at 9:48am | IP Logged | 8  

Stan Lee's generation grew up reading real books. Over the next few decades, the industry was infused with people who had read fewer books (at least serious ones) and more comics. Steadily the balance tipped, until we found some so-called professionals insisting their ONLY reading was comicbooks (and sports pages). More and more the inspiration for comics came from recent movies and previously published comics. Eventually the incest level topped out, and we arrived in the most recent decade, in which it so often seems "archeology" is the only source for stories.

Thom Price
Byrne Robotics Member
L’Homme Diabolique

Posted: 20 September 2016 at 10:05am | IP Logged | 9  

Odd that Disney continues to allow such disregard for character consistency in the Marvel comic books; would the company allow such a messy approach to Mickey Mouse or the Pixar characters?  Never mind creative integrity, just from a marketing standpoint the erratic portrayals seems to be such a poor approach.

Marc Cheek
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 September 2016 at 10:54am | IP Logged | 10  

I can't see any of Marvel's readers having any fun these days. Is there any reason they keep on buying this sh*t, other than to keep their long boxes filled?

I finally realized a couple of years ago that I wasn't enjoying much of what I bought and seemed to be buying to keep runs complete. I'm much happier now that I've dropped most everything from Marvel and DC.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 20 September 2016 at 10:55am | IP Logged | 11  

Odd that Disney continues to allow such disregard for character consistency in the Marvel comic books; would the company allow such a messy approach to Mickey Mouse or the Pixar characters? Never mind creative integrity, just from a marketing standpoint the erratic portrayals seems to be such a poor approach.

••

A reminder that Marvel Comics is but a tiny drop in the financial bucket.

Andrew W. Farago
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 September 2016 at 12:17pm | IP Logged | 12  

Mariko Tamaki's a talented writer and I'm sure she'll do a great job on this...but I'd rather have seen her cut loose on a sunny, upbeat She-Hulk book.  The first Civil War series decided that the world really, really needed a darker, edgier Speedball, so I guess this is just how they roll.

DC, meanwhile, realized that the edginess of The New 52 had been really offputting to longtime readers, so they're course correcting now.  My reading habits keep shifting toward whichever company's putting out the most fun books.

<< Prev Page of 3 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version