Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 5 Next >>
Topic: Article On Direct Market (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 September 2016 at 2:20pm | IP Logged | 1  

Yes, it seemed like a weak comparison.

Not sure about elsewhere, but although there are Apple stores here in the UK, their products are sold in many other places, too.
Back to Top profile | search

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 03 September 2016 at 2:40pm | IP Logged | 2  

"Apple have products they sell via a system akin to the Direct Market."
------------------------------------------------------------ ---------------------------
I wonder if they mean iTunes
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Rick Whiting
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 September 2016 at 6:31pm | IP Logged | 3  

According to this article comic book sales are down from last year, but the customer count is up. Iguess wen they say the "customer count is up", they are talking about an increase in the number of retailers/Diamond accounts and not actual store customers (both on and off line).

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/09/02/comic-book-sales-are- down-from-2015-to-2016-but-customer-count-is-up/

Andy Mokler
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 04 September 2016 at 7:51pm | IP Logged | 4  

What I tell people when they ask me where they should start, I suggest that they look around and see if they like the look of anything.  Start with something that they think they might like and go from there.  When they do find something they like, I can help them get issues before and after the one that they started with.

That that's basically what we all have done.  I didn't start with Spider-Man #1 or Superman #1, as a kid, I just gravitated toward what I thought looked good and went from there.  One just has to start, and get the ball rolling.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 September 2016 at 7:55am | IP Logged | 5  

I understand what you are saying, Andy, but it shouldn't involve homework.

It's no big deal to pick up, say, the second part of a two-part comic. If I did that now, and really wanted to read the first part, I'd head to eBay.

It's quite a different thing to have to do "homework" and brush up on FINAL CRISIS, INFINITE CRISIS, etc. Some comics over the last 12-15 years did ask for a lot of "homework".

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 05 September 2016 at 8:02am | IP Logged | 6  

It's quite a different thing to have to do "homework" and brush up on FINAL CRISIS, INFINITE CRISIS, etc. Some comics over the last 12-15 years did ask for a lot of "homework".

••

Remember Marvel's abortive effort with a text page on the inside front cover? The "story so far" in multiple paragraphs? I tried that in NEXT MEN, briefly, and realized the last thing a new reader wants is to have to plow thru a page of text before diving into the story!

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 05 September 2016 at 8:04am | IP Logged | 7  

According to this article comic book sales are down from last year, but the customer count is up. Iguess wen they say the "customer count is up", they are talking about an increase in the number of retailers/Diamond accounts and not actual store customers (both on and off line).

••

Here you touch on something that bugged the heck our of me during the speculator boom. The companies would announce a title had "sold out," when way they actually meant was all the non-returnable copies had been shipped to the DSM. The important figure, the sell-thru, was hardly referenced.

We were left with no way to know how many of those "sold out" editions were gathering dust in long boxes in the stores of retailers who had over-ordered.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 September 2016 at 8:10am | IP Logged | 8  

Remember Marvel's abortive effort with a text page on the inside front cover? The "story so far" in multiple paragraphs? I tried that in NEXT MEN, briefly, and realized the last thing a new reader wants is to have to plow thru a page of text before diving into the story!

Indeed. It'd have been off-putting for me as a kid and certainly would be off-putting years later to have to read text. 

Shaun Barry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 September 2016 at 11:23am | IP Logged | 9  

Reading this thread reminds me what a godsend the average 7-11 store was (in the States), to a kid growing up in the mid-'70s through early '80s...

Before I discovered my first LCS, I'd say about 80% of all the comic books I ever owned came from a typical trip to the local 7-11, when my parents just needed coffee, cigarettes, newspapers, milk, what-have-you... and they would usually throw in a comic book for my sister and me.

I'd do the same for my own kids... but good luck finding any comics anywhere these days, outside the Direct market or LCS stranglehold.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 September 2016 at 11:28am | IP Logged | 10  

Same here. You won't find a comic in a railway station now. Or in a grocery store over here.

There are some UK comics you'll find (usually based on licensed characters such as POSTMAN PAT), but no US comics find their ways to anywhere other than LCSs over here. That is sad.

Rick Whiting
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 September 2016 at 2:34pm | IP Logged | 11  

You would think that Marvel would have learned their lesson, and yet since Quesada's tenure as EIC Marvel has taken up a whole page in order to print one or more paragraphs of the "story so far" (often times along with the creator credits). And depending on who the egotistical writer of the comic is, they sometimes take up 2 whole story pages to tell the "story so far" along with the creator credits,and a list of all the main characters in the book. Funny how Quesada and many of the pros who have been working at Marvel under his tenure as EIC and after he has been promoted, have often either dismissed or talked about how bad Marvel was during the 90's, but have no problem repeating and justifying those same bad mistakes/and ideas from that time period.

Jason Larouse
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 September 2016 at 7:36pm | IP Logged | 12  

I always skip the "story so far" page. If I can't figure out what's going on without reading a recap page then I drop the comic. Which is why I don't read many Marvel comics nowadays I suppose. 

<< Prev Page of 5 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version