Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 12 Next >>
Topic: What if JB produced a Marvel/DC monthly? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 August 2016 at 11:28pm | IP Logged | 1  

Jim, I have a crummy retail job and will never see the money to afford a commission ever. Ever. If I don't get one, I'm certainly not going to throw around cash I don't have so someone else can! :-)

I, too, fear the approach of laundry lists. We're already seeing a bit of that here. Still, let's cross our fingers and hope for the best... 

The one that I really wanted to get to (and hope no one else has suggested) was Doctor Doom and the Demon. Via David Michelene, John Romita Jr., and Bob Layton, Doom has actually met King Arthur, Morgan LeFay, and Merlin. In his first appearance, he sent the FF through time on a search to retrieve stones enchanted by Merlin. Could he co-opt control of the Demon? Lay some future plan in place in Camelot that would see fruition in modern day?

Lois Lane and Heather Hudson- Maybe set shortly after the Death of Superman story. Lois interviews the loved ones of fallen heroes.

Jimmy Olsen and Rick Jones- Same/Same-ing here, but the two comparing notes on what it means to be the ever-transforming sidekick to the big names would be interesting. Let's not forget that Jimmy is not only the kid sidekick to Superman, he's the kid sidekick to Lois as well. The guy spends a lot of time in the company of his heroes. I'm not sure Rick has come away with the same sense of self-improvement, awe, and wonder from his travels.

Brainiac and the Vision- If the Eternals' computer Isaac has a copy of the Vision's personality profile from prior to his megalomaniacal breakdown, might he not also have some duplicate files of what he was like when he was large and in charge? And wouldn't the roboticized Ed Hannigan version of Brainiac find some use for such files in his quest to seek out (and destroy?) the Master Programmer?

Captain Marvel and Thor- Set in the 1940's, Cap and Billy battle a villain who pulls characters out of storybooks and mythology. This time, he's picked a doozy! Suggested fun tactic- Magical lightning from Thor turns Cap's allies into Thor's! Mary Midgard! Frederick the Brave! The Lieutenant Warriors Three! The All-Uncle! Hoppy, the Marvel Frog! (Okay, maybe not those last two, but you see what I'm getting at...) A possible reverse idea- The storybook themed villain pulls Billy, Mary, and Freddy into Thor and Loki's boyhood in the old Tales of Asgard back-ups so everyone is approximately the same age...

Nick Fury and King Faraday- Hey, I'd buy it... 

By the way, Andrew, speaking of random characters, who the hell is Cosmic Lad? There's a Cosmic Boy in the Legion. He had a younger brother called Magnetic Lad. Maybe we're fusing those two together for the purpose of this exercise?

Jim, thank you again for your kindness and a fun topic idea! Imagining these crossovers and team-ups with a Byrne spin to them makes them especially interesting to conjure with...

Edited by Brian Hague on 19 August 2016 at 11:39pm
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 August 2016 at 11:49pm | IP Logged | 2  

Okay, these are addictive...

Nudge & Grunt meet Cloak & Dagger- Runaways helping runaways.

X-Men and the Atomic Knights- "Knights of Future Past!"

Aurora, Northstar, Zan, and Jayna- "Winter Twin Powers-- Activate!"

Cyclops and the Inferior Five- What if what they really needed was a gifted leader to train them properly and instill a sense a confidence? What if there wasn't much time to do so?

Edited by Brian Hague on 20 August 2016 at 12:04am

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 August 2016 at 12:30am | IP Logged | 3  

REALLY addictive!

Sub-Mariner vs. Superman- Remember back in the thirties and forties when Namor was really young and mad at the world, and he'd take entire armies, aircraft, and tanks and roll up out of the ocean and down the streets of New York, seeking to destroy the entire surface world? Y'know, he'd better not try anything like that in Metropolis..! 

Sub-Mariner vs. Batman- Or Gotham, for that matter! This one might be even more fun since he could recruit Batman's foes to serve as his Generals, each one putting their own little spin on their Atlantean attacks... Joker Fish! The Penguin's Aquatic avians! Harvey Dent puts the "2" in "H2O!" Of course, there's always someone who won't sign up and play along... Cats HATE water...

Batman and the Son of Satan, Satana, and well, Satan- "To the Devil, a Daughter!" Bruce Wayne is about to find out there is a lot more to his latest redheaded, devil-may-care gal pal than he realized. Her family, for instance...

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 August 2016 at 3:08am | IP Logged | 4  

Okay, if the rules are relaxed a little, here are two that I would really love to see (preferably in some oversized graphic novel or extended mini-series)--

Fantastic Four and Superman

Fantastic Four and the original Doom Patrol
Back to Top profile | search

Philippe Negrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 August 2016 at 7:14am | IP Logged | 5  

Snowbird and Raven !

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 August 2016 at 9:28am | IP Logged | 6  

Peter Parker, beset by romance troubles & getting the full-on "Betty and Veronica" treatment from Gwen & MJ, hops on his motorcycle & cuts out for awhile, travelling along the East Coast for a few days. As Spidey, he winds up meeting both Supergirl and Batgirl and is torn between nice girl-blonde and wild child-redhead all over again...

Wonder Woman In Asgard- Down with the Patriarchy!

GL & the FF- Reed and Sue take some time to work with the Guardians to eliminate a weakness in the rings that no one 'til now has perceived as such. Everything they create is fully visible. If Reed can get the force fields they generate to operate more like Sue's does, beyond the visible spectrum, he can change that. Maybe form a whole new Corp? Meanwhile, Ben finds great acceptance amongst the Corps, where appearances matter not at all, and Johnny tumbles into romance with a neophyte ring-slinger.

Wolverine & Jason Blood- Generations-style tale wherein the two run into one another every ten years or so over the course of the late Nineteenth and Twentieth Centuries...

She-Hulk, Hulk, & Superman- Hit by a different type of Kryptonite beam, one that turns him into a K-Radiation magnet, Superman must avoid direct exposure while his body nevertheless relentlessly gathers low levels of K-radiation from all around him, Superman seeks the assistance of an expert in the field of radiation-cell damage, Dr. Bruce Banner. Banner works with Dr. Jenet Klyburn of STAR Labs to find a way to cancel the effect and dispel the radiation while Jen spends time with the progressively weaker and weaker Superman... and hey, he's kind of cute when he's green. Not a good time for either the Atomic Skull or the Savage Hulk to re-appear...

The members of the Doom Patrol are gathered, one by one, by the mysterious red-haired genius who was there at the site of their various accidents and misfortunes, the events that turned them into the strangest super-heroes of all... He is Doom! Crippled and wheelchair-bound since college when an experiment gone wrong cost him more than just his face, Victor Von Doom is creating a team of similarly powerful, yet tragic figures... But for what purpose?

Edited by Brian Hague on 20 August 2016 at 9:34am

Jim Petersman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 August 2016 at 6:45pm | IP Logged | 7  

I think you're drifting into Amalgam or What If territory, Brian.

Noah Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 August 2016 at 7:41pm | IP Logged | 8  

I'm coming late to this thread, so I want to try to play by the original rules here.

1) Superman and the Thing
2) She-Hulk and Batgirl

The first issue is something pretty cosmic -- Ben has to fight an army of Parademons while Superman gets the Cosmic Cube away from Darkseid or something like that.

The "smaller" issue would probably involve Jennifer Walters as a lawyer one one side of a case that Batgirl was involved in. They find new evidence, follow a mystery, battle something huge ... all that good stuff.

edited for spelling

Edited by Noah Smith on 20 August 2016 at 10:17pm
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 August 2016 at 10:07pm | IP Logged | 9  

Jim, you say that like it's a bad thing.. :-)

Mike Norris
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 August 2016 at 11:45pm | IP Logged | 10  

My dream Byrne DC/Marvel would be the JSA and the Invaders kicking Axis ass. 

The JSA: Green Lantern,the Flash, Hawkman, Wonder Woman, the Atom, Dr. Mid-Nite and Starman

The Invaders: Captain America, Bucky, The Human Torch, Toro, Sub-Mariner, the Whizzer and Miss America. 

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 August 2016 at 6:07am | IP Logged | 11  

I thought of another team-up that is, I think, both an automatic match and still a bit subtle.

For your world destroying pleasure, I would like to see Orion and Jim Starlin's Destroyer.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 21 August 2016 at 7:45am | IP Logged | 12  

My dream Byrne DC/Marvel would be the JSA and the Invaders kicking Axis ass.

••

That was to have been the sequel to BATMAN & CAPTAIN AMERICA. Alas, Marvel and DC rather arbitrarily decided they didn't want to play nice any more. The upside, is that the project evolved into GENERATIONS.*

* A depressing element of that project was the number of fans who accused me of "stealing" the title from the STAR TREK movie of the same name. Tiny minds, tiny minds!

<< Prev Page of 12 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version