Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 3 Next >>
Topic: Jim Shooter’s Shadow (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 August 2016 at 7:36am | IP Logged | 1  

BTW, I agree 100% about the Ultimate line having a negative effect on some Marvel movies. FANTASTIC FOUR (2015) borrowed heavily from it, seems to me, and was godawful as a result. Any reboot in the future should ignore the Ultimate books as thoroughly as they can.
Back to Top profile | search

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 August 2016 at 9:48am | IP Logged | 2  

Re: New Universe. In one of Shooter's soapbox columns he presented the NU as the next step towards realism in the superhero genre, the first being the Marvel Universe. So I suppose you can say he was fixing Marvel that way as well. 

Edited by Joe Zhang on 05 August 2016 at 9:49am
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Brian Floyd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 August 2016 at 10:07am | IP Logged | 3  

Regarding New Universe, does anyone else think DP7 would be perfect for a live action adaptation?

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 August 2016 at 10:48am | IP Logged | 4  

Seems as though Marvel (and possibly DC) has gone to a "TV season" model with their books. They're now telling discrete stories, which they collect in TPBs, and never mind the series as an ongoing entity--that model's done.

Seems that way.

Marc Cheek
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 August 2016 at 10:56am | IP Logged | 5  

Seems as though Marvel (and possibly DC) has gone to a "TV season" model with their books. They're now telling discrete stories, which they collect in TPBs, and never mind the series as an ongoing entity--that model's done.

Why bother with an on-going series when they reboot every two years...

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 August 2016 at 11:35am | IP Logged | 6  

I think it shows a lack of pride in the heritage of the characters,and Marvel in general.As mentioned previously 2,000AD is approaching it`s 2,000th issue and will likely be celebrated accordingly,probably in the mainstream U.K. media.Pity that isn`t an option for The FF,Spider-man,Thor,The Avengers,The Incredible Hulk,The Invincible Iron Man etc.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 August 2016 at 12:25pm | IP Logged | 7  

Indeed, Bill.

As I often try to explain, I know you can't equate quality with numbers. In theory, a magazine could be published by a billionaire for 1,000 issues - and 800+ of them could be awful. It doesn't necessarily mean there is quality.

But, I mean, in the late 90s, I remember picking up a Batman issue. I think it was in the 700s. I read it and thought, 'Hmmm, I wonder if my stepfather would have read this.' The sense of history was great. I was holding a title which had clocked up 700+ issues - which meant before I was even born, my stepdad - or anyone - would have been reading early titles.

Now, I may well have fucked up the maths here, but FANTASTIC FOUR #1 was released in November 1961. Assuming I haven't fucked up the maths, then if the title was still running, and there hadn't been reboots/relaunches, would I be right in thinking that a November 2016 FF issue would be something like #660? Imagine that. The number #660 isn't particularly special, but it'd take just a few years from that point for FF to reach a 700th issue. Wouldn't that be great?

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 August 2016 at 2:10pm | IP Logged | 8  

Yes it would! But,as in the past,anniversary issues were `special`,but with all the `special events` and crossovers,what would be `special` about FF #700? 

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 August 2016 at 3:18pm | IP Logged | 9  

There wouldn't be anything particularly special, just the "mileage".

Maybe I obsess over numbers too much, but "mileage" has always had that effect on me. I remember picking up 2000 AD #954 (mid-90s) and just thinking, 'Wow, it's been a while since I read this title, but it's really going places.' I guess I'm just impressed with the number of issues some titles have. ;)

Edited by Robbie Parry on 05 August 2016 at 3:19pm

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 August 2016 at 4:03pm | IP Logged | 10  

Of course, when a Marvel or DC comic reached a milestone of 200 issues--or 100 or sometimes even 50 or some other special number (the 27's for DETECTIVE COMICS, for example)--they often did a double-sized (or bigger) issue to celebrate.  As a reader, you might have been annoyed at paying 2 or 3 times the expected price, but more often than not you enjoyed partaking in the special issue and whatever extras they added to help make it special.  It's just a little sad that that may never happen at Marvel again.

On the other hand, as part of their "Rebirth," DC HAS restored ACTION COMICS and DETECTIVE COMICS to legacy numbering as both approach issue #1000.  I'm still not buying any of their books (except for things like the new DARK KNIGHT or Neal Adams' COMING OF THE SUPERMEN)...but at least I'm checking them out!  I believe they're TRYING to right the ship.

I have to give them credit--if I want to buy a SUPERMAN or FLASH comic, they are clearly distinguished on the racks.  BATMAN had the same creative team for four years there--almost unheard of these days.  If I look at the Marvel section at my local comics shop, it just looks like a big mess!  I have no idea which is the THOR book or which is the main GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY book.

If you remember some of my previous posts here over the last year or so, this is a big switch for me!  I had a lot of good things to say about Marvel (DAREDEVIL was great, and I had at least four other subscriptions) but I felt DC was just a big glossy mess.  Since the "Hail Hydra," Earth merging, and widespread "replacement" secret identities, I have given up on Marvel.  But DC at least feels like they're getting on a better track, and I'm looking for books I can jump on.  Restoring SUPERMAN to the continuity that JB started makes that the best contender.

And if you go to Barnes & Noble, you will see a LOT of softcover DC reprint editions from DC's Silver and Bronze Ages (Perez's WONDER WOMAN, THE NEW TEEN TITANS, personal favorites like the entire 70's runs of THE JOKER and BLACK LIGHTNING, JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA from issue one, etc.) all of a sudden--something they have mostly avoided for decades!  They are no longer hiding their history--another good sign.

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 August 2016 at 7:38pm | IP Logged | 11  

I agree, Eric! I saw a Prez TPB today at the bookstore. Two, actually! One reprinting the original Joe Simon, Joe Orlando issues and the various Vertigo homages to it over the years, and the more recent mini-series revisiting the concept with a female Prez. Knocked me out. There was Golden Age Superman TPB as well, which kind of makes me think DC is no longer going forward with their Chronicles series. That's a bit disappointing.
Still, it was nice to see so much of the past brought forward into the present for readers to enjoy.

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 05 August 2016 at 10:53pm | IP Logged | 12  

Regarding New Universe, does anyone else think DP7 would be perfect for a live action adaptation?

It would work great. That was always my favorite New Universe book. I always liked Gruenwald's Marvel books, even when they felt more like DC books. And Paul Ryan was always solid.

<< Prev Page of 3 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version