Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 3
Topic: 3rd Company (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 July 2016 at 8:23am | IP Logged | 1  

From Malibu I enjoyed Nightman a lot but LOVED Firearm (not sure if it would hold up today if I read it again though). 

Valiant would have to be my #3. Enjoyed the first run (especially the continuity between the titles) and liked the reboot for about two years before they ran out of steam.
Back to Top profile | search

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 July 2016 at 6:56pm | IP Logged | 2  

I recall Nightman having his own late-night television series for a while. Earl Holliman from Police Woman and the Twilight Zone was a regular. Malibu may have been building momentum in film and TV.

I'm not finding much on Silvestri's early career. I was able to turn up a pre-Image comic called "Codename: Strikeforce" published by Spectrum Comics circa 1984. The artist for that appears to have been Tom Morgan.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 July 2016 at 11:01pm | IP Logged | 3  

The "Nightman" show had Manimal quest star and pass his "legacy" on to his daughter!  (Were they hoping for a spin-off--"Womanimal"?!?)
Back to Top profile | search

Robert Shepherd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 July 2016 at 12:41am | IP Logged | 4  

"I'm not finding much on Silvestri's early career. I was able to turn up a pre-Image comic called "Codename: Strikeforce" published by Spectrum Comics circa 1984. The artist for that appears to have been Tom Morgan."

That is definitely the book I had in mind. Great work Detective Hague.

But man....my memory is really making up stuff as I age. I don't know why I thought it was Silvestri's first work. I'll still assume he drew the interiors until I can find proof that my memory has faded.

Side Note: your reply is already indexed by Google on page 2....wow.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Matt Hawes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 July 2016 at 4:11am | IP Logged | 5  

Michael Roberts wrote:
... https://longboxgraveyard.com/2012/07/03/tom-mason-on-the-mal ibudc-comics-deal-that-wasnt/ ...

So, Marvel stepped in and snatched Malibu away from a possible DC takeover? Interesting. I wish the full reasons behind Marvel's actions were discussed, but being that the article linked to above was written by Tom Mason of Malibu Comics, it appears it certainly wasn't about the coloring process:

Tom Mason:
"...Marvel wanted in and, we were told, been instructed to buy the company to keep it away from DC (the reason why would make a good panel discussion)...

As I noted on the previous page of this thread, I didn't buy the "coloring" excuse, even when the news broke. It never made any sense to me. Marvel couldn't get its hands on that new-fangled thing (in 1995) called Photoshop without buying another publisher? Yeah, okay.

So, my speculation that Marvel bought Malibu simply to bury it was a bit off. Marvel apparently bought Malibu, according to Mason, who would know, to keep it from DC... and THEN bury it.

Thanks for that link, Michael!

Back to Top profile | search | www

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

<< Prev Page of 3
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version