Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 6 Next >>
Topic: Company Wide Events (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 July 2016 at 1:23pm | IP Logged | 1  

For a while there, several years back, I thought Marvel was doing it right.  They kept their crossover confined to a mini, plus a few other related minis/specials, and left the regular titles alone.  So if you were interested in Secret Invasion and liked the FF, there was a Secret Invasion FF mini.  If you weren't interested, you could keep.reading the regular FF title uninterrupted.
Back to Top profile | search

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 July 2016 at 3:44pm | IP Logged | 2  

I really kinda surprised Marvel still goes to the well so often with "THE DEATH OF…" gimmick.

Is their audience THAT easy to please?

-C!
Back to Top profile | search | www

Stephen Churay
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 July 2016 at 4:12pm | IP Logged | 3  

Unfortunately, a good chunk of the
audience, IS that easy to please. I'm sure
they'll stop doing them when people decide
to vote with their wallets.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Rob Ocelot
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 July 2016 at 6:37pm | IP Logged | 4  

There's no incentive for them to stop doing these events as they tend to generate short term speculative sales that satisfy the balance sheets for the next financial quarter.  It's the only tool they have left in the tool box and they are going to use it to drive nails and turn screws.  

They're in a weird kind of denial -- every event and event aftermath is billed as a "great jumping on point" and they still seem to think the success of these properties on the big screen will trickle down and a flood of people will start buying comics again.

Matthew Wilkie
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 July 2016 at 1:20pm | IP Logged | 5  

Comics don't have "seasons" as such

JB's AF felt like it did. Those three double issues - 1,12 and 24 - were used to effect and felt like season openers / finales.

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 July 2016 at 2:12pm | IP Logged | 6  

They don`t seem to realise,those great `Jumping on points` are also preceded by great jumping off points,which many of us never return from!
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 July 2016 at 2:16pm | IP Logged | 7  

They don`t seem to realise,those great `Jumping on points` are also preceded by great jumping off points,which many of us never return from!

It really hit home with me - and apologies as I have shared this anecdote before - when a lapsed reader said to me something like, "What do I need to get up to speed with DC? Do I need to read FINAL CRISIS?" I didn't know. And if a comics junkie like me didn't know, what hope did he have?

As a kid, I never had to say to my stepdad, "Hey, what do I need to read to get on board with Superman or Spider-Man?"

Edited by Robbie Parry on 15 July 2016 at 2:17pm

Dave Phelps
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 July 2016 at 3:55pm | IP Logged | 8  

Robbie Parry wrote:
It really hit home with me - and apologies as I have shared this anecdote before - when a lapsed reader said to me something like, "What do I need to get up to speed with DC?

Not that I'm particularly thrilled by what's coming out these days, but the whole "what do I need to understand...?" question tends to be unfairly applied across the board.

I just re-read the Master Planner story in ASM #31-33, which had references to Uncle Ben, a blood transfusion Peter had given to Aunt May, romantic issues with Betty (involving some guy named Ned Leeds), previous fights with Dr. Octopus, an earlier misunderstanding involving Frederick Foswell, assistance he had provided a scientist in Florida (Curt Conners), and maybe a few other things. To "fully get up to speed" with the story, you "had" to go all the way back to Amazing Fantasy #15.

Except that you didn't. Everything you needed to understand the story was in the story. Chances are that picking up the latest issue of whatever will give you enough to understand what's going on in the new book.

All that's really needed is an open mind and an understanding that if you haven't read a book for awhile, you may have missed something. If what's on the page interests you, you'll figure it out as you go along, like we all did when we started reading comics.

Mario Ribeiro
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 July 2016 at 5:15pm | IP Logged | 9  

I agree with Dave. I spent many years without even touching a comic book, then tried a few and yes, there was stuff I have missed but it wasn't hard to figure out what was going on.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 July 2016 at 5:17pm | IP Logged | 10  

I agree with what you and Dave are saying - I could easily catch up on any Stan Lee/Steve Ditko tales, I'm sure - but there are things that are impenetrable.

For instance, DC has appeared to reboot its universe so many times since the early 2000s. I found it all so impenetrable at times despite my best efforts. 

I'm happy to try. I came to "The Clone Saga" late and caught up. But I think DC in particular has been very good at making its universe impenetrable. Whether that changed with "Rebirth", I do not know.

Mario Ribeiro
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 July 2016 at 5:54pm | IP Logged | 11  

I tried a few of their New 52 titles (not too many and not for long), when they started, and wasn't lost. Also tried some pre-new 52 Batman, no big problem, just accepted that Dick was Batman, Bruce's son was Robin, etc. I had more problem trying to following the art. I remember a scene in which a guy I was sure was knocked out suddenly was running away. And then there was the silly baggage I took in with me. Gordon's son was an adult, but I remembered him being born in Year One. Was Batman around for more than 20 years? It doesn't matter, at least not for a new reader, who should simply accept the information on the page, without trying to fit it to a story published 25 years before.

Dave Phelps
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 July 2016 at 6:32pm | IP Logged | 12  

Robbie Parry wrote:
For instance, DC has appeared to reboot its universe so many times since the early 2000s. I found it all so impenetrable at times despite my best efforts.

What made it impenetrable? Was there something not in the book or was it more an issue of trying to reconcile what you previously knew with what was being presented?

(Reading the above before posting, I'm concerned that it'll come across as snarky. Just want to say here that I don't mean it that way. I'm genuinely curious.)

<< Prev Page of 6 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version