Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 6 Next >>
Topic: Company Wide Events (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 July 2016 at 8:36pm | IP Logged | 1  

<Brian Hague> Has there ever been a good crossover series event? Ever? I get that the original Crisis and Secret Wars series have their fans, but do those fans love the "red skies" and extraneous souvenirs from Battleworld crossovers as well? Has there ever been even one of these things that was worth the trouble and expense of reading all of it?

At a stretch I'd say probably Valiant's original UNITY crossover.  At least, I enjoyed it for what it was at the time.   Bonus -- if you weren't interested in buying the whole thing you could stick to your chosen title(s) and you still got the gist of the crossover from the POV of the characters in those titles.  

I wish more crossovers were written with an eye toward the different ways readers enter and follow the story.  Not everyone has a $300-a-month pull list yet these crossovers increasingly cater to this shrinking minority. 

Edited by Rob Ocelot on 13 July 2016 at 8:41pm
Back to Top profile | search

Rob Ocelot
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 July 2016 at 8:41pm | IP Logged | 2  

<Robbie Parry> So, not really a crossover, I guess, but it'd be my editorial decision. So I'd ask the X-books to do an X-Men/Dr. Octopus battle; I might ask the Spider-Man titles to give us a Spider-Man/Mr Sinister battle; and then I'd ask for other titles to give us something like Iron Man VS Juggernaut and Hulk VS Sinister Six.

So, you'd rehash ACTS OF VENGENCE?

:-)

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 July 2016 at 11:33pm | IP Logged | 3  

Marvel announces the death of Bruce Banner.

Nothing exceeds like excess!!

Saw an article about how Bruce Banner was "dying" in today's Civil War 2 comic, at the hands of Hawkeye no less, and immediately thought of this thread and then did an eye roll because everyone knows he will be back. Probably just in time for the release of Thor:Ragnarok which features Bruce Banner/The Hulk prominently. If he isn't Marvel is just dropping the ball once again.

Shane Matlock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 13 July 2016 at 11:52pm | IP Logged | 4  

Also remember when JB rebooting Superman in Man of Steel was a huge event in itself? It didn't really need the whole company line of books tied into it to tell a story and it told a damn good story. You could read the other Superman books if you wanted to, like the team-up book Byrne did for Action Comics or Marv Woflman and Jerry Ordway on The Adventures of Superman (which continued the old Superman numbering back when folks still cared about high numbers in comics). But you didn't need to read those books. Man of Steel and then the new Superman series it led into was all you really needed to read. (Of course I got both Byrne books because it was a real treat to see JB drawing all those DC characters for the first time in Action Comics.) These days reboots are really not even newsworthy, nor are the company wide events like Secret Wars or Civil War or whatever Crisis book DC is doing, because they keep happening with increasing frequency to diminishing returns. The sales were huge (by today's standards) when DC did the whole Nu52 thing, but a soft reboot just a few years later, and, yes, you get a sale boost, but nothing like the last one. Same with Marvel doing the whole Marvel Now thing within a year of their own soft reboot after Secret Wars. The numbers are down across the board with every new number one they trot out and it's likely the same with the company wide event books tied into whatever big mini-series they are putting out this year as their earth-shattering "nothing will ever be the same" "who will die" brouhaha. 

I think it's a testament to how good the Byrne Superman reboot was that it remained virtually unchanged for the next twenty plus years at DC. Their most recent reboot in 2011 didn't even make it five years before they went back to that other Superman, you know, the one that JB brought new life and new readers to and influenced the next two decades of Superman comics with. I think another thing that was great about that Byrne reboot was that it made the character unique again by doing away with Superboy and all the other Kryptonians with the exact same powers, a move that DC is doing the exact opposite of with their current reboot which is turning Lois into Superwoman, a new Superboy, a new Chinese Superman, etc. Comics are going in the wrong direction by killing the uniqueness of their characters and draining the coffers of their remaining fanbase with these so-called big events.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 14 July 2016 at 7:44am | IP Logged | 5  

I think it's a testament to how good the Byrne Superman reboot was that it remained virtually unchanged for the next twenty plus years at DC.

••

You're very kind, but I really don't think there's much of "my" Superman left. The "deconstruction" began almost as soon as I left.

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 July 2016 at 8:32am | IP Logged | 6  

So, you'd rehash ACTS OF VENGENCE?

Not quite. ;)

My idea would not involve crossovers or multi-issue tales. My hypothetical X-Men VS Dr Octopus issue would have NOTHING to do with my hypothetical Iron Man VS Juggernaut issue. All self-contained issues: no big arc, no crossovers, no requiring fans to have bottomless wallets, just standalone tales. Reading the X-Men/Octopus issue would not require picking up the issues featuring Iron Man/Juggernaut or Captain America/Vulture.

Monte Gruhlke
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 July 2016 at 10:39am | IP Logged | 7  

I'm not sure if I buy into the whole crossover event scenario; I should have to pick up twenty issues of various other titles to get the 'full story' of a six-issue mini series. 

I think big event stories should be self-contained within that series alone, with no needing to buy up the rest of the store for what usually turns out to be a lack-luster storyline.

What's terrible is that BIG EVENTS happen 2-3 times a year now (at M*****), and individual books get maybe 3-4 issues to tell a story before "the universe is sudden changed and nothing remains the same", or some mega event is shoe-horned in for no reason. I had jumped back into buying comics for a short time, but a stream of constant events/reboots/restarts/reimagining turned me off big time.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 July 2016 at 10:57am | IP Logged | 8  

What's terrible is that BIG EVENTS happen 2-3 times a year now (at M*****), and individual books get maybe 3-4 issues to tell a story before "the universe is sudden changed and nothing remains the same", or some mega event is shoe-horned in for no reason. I had jumped back into buying comics for a short time, but a stream of constant events/reboots/restarts/reimagining turned me off big time.

Same here. Too off-putting.

Steve De Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 July 2016 at 11:03am | IP Logged | 9  

Marvel announces the death of Bruce Banner.

Nothing exceeds like excess!!

-----------------------------------------------

Its worse than you think.  (SPOILER WARNING)

-

-

-

-

Hawkeye shot him in the back and murdered him because a prophecy said that the Hulk was going to kill a bunch of heroes.  So its leading into the next event:  The Trial of Hawkeye

Edited by Steve De Young on 14 July 2016 at 11:15am

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 July 2016 at 12:44pm | IP Logged | 10  

Seems like the big two reboot or massively shake up their worlds every few years now, with some smaller resets or "do-overs" here and there.

It starts to feel like the jolt of "something that feels new" across the entire line is like a coffee drinker getting a venti from Starbucks at 6:30am...then at 9:45am...then at 11:50am...and again at 2:15pm...and on and on. You get a huge shot of caffeine way more often than you really need it. The new status quo doesn't have a chance to take hold, readers get whiplash trying to keep up with who's who and what's happening, and "a great jumping on point" becomes a reason to quit reading.

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 July 2016 at 12:56pm | IP Logged | 11  

Oh how i long for the days of `Non-event` comics! Remember the days when you`d get an issue where nothing much happens except a bit of fun character development,like The Beast and Wonder Man went to the cinema? Batman went on patrol,and much to his disappointment,found that he wasn`t needed? 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Robbie Parry
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 July 2016 at 1:13pm | IP Logged | 12  

I agree, Bill.

Sometimes the smaller, low-key storylines make the bigger ones special. Been watching some KNIGHT RIDER on DVD recently. You'll get relatively low-key stories (corrupt sheriff, corrupt politician, etc.) and then, at the end or beginning of a season, you'll get something major, i.e. a hi-tech vehicle coming after Knight and KITT.

Comics don't have "seasons" as such, but maybe give us something big once ever 3-5 years. Give us a 100-page special on rare occasions. Every 4-5 years, do an event. But right now, it feels like overkill.

<< Prev Page of 6 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version