Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 6 Next >>
Topic: Company Wide Events (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 July 2016 at 10:55pm | IP Logged | 1  

How I hate these company wide events. It costs entirely too much purchase all the titles that tie into the event. Not to mention how they screw up the regular storylines.

Whatever happen to doing these things in annuals? Oh how I miss annuals.They stayed separate from the main titles storylines.

When I began to seriously follow comics in the 80's. I was thrilled with The Evoluntionary Wars, Atlantis Attacks and Acts of Vengence. Just buy the annuals and you were set.
Back to Top profile | search

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 July 2016 at 11:54pm | IP Logged | 2  

Marvel actually brags about getting all its editors and main writers to get away at a retreat once a year to brainstorm the next big event (and I suppose DC must do something similar).  It's the very definition of "art by committee" and they don't see anything wrong with it!

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 July 2016 at 12:44am | IP Logged | 3  

These events are the main reason i rarely buy Marvel/DC anymore,i simply can`t afford to buy all the titles,and the `Events` are mainly confused crap.The only one i thought was a decent idea was Secret Invasion,it was a good use of the Skrulls,and gave a way of bringing back,long thought dead beloved characters in an inventive way,pity it didn`t live up to my expectations!
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Trevor Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 July 2016 at 2:19am | IP Logged | 4  

Honestly, I didn't even care for them when limited to
annuals, like Atlantis Attacks. I liked reading the
annuals of the series I was buying without feeling at
the end like I was getting only a partial story.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 12 July 2016 at 5:57am | IP Logged | 5  

Having had several storylines decimated by forced inclusion in "events" you can well imagine I am no fan.

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 July 2016 at 5:57am | IP Logged | 6  

Like Trevor, even Acts of Venegeance and Atlantis Attacks served to distance me from my monthly titles of choice, as some story I knew little about got shoe-horned in.

I despise company-wide crossovers and they were a key factor in driving me away from collecting monthly comics (more than 20 years ago now!).

Something like the Mutant Massacre or Inferno were slightly more palatable because they only affected the (then) handful of X-titles, which were naturally related and it wasn't too much of a stretch to think a fan of the X-Men might also have an interest in the characters in X-Factor or the New Mutants (and even then, I was not a fan of either of these storylines, but they were less intrusive).

But when it is all-encompassing, it robs you of one of the fun things of being a reader -- choice! As a kid, it was fun to have that power in your hands to follow Spidey's adventures, or Cap's or The Avengers. Apart from the occasional guest cameo, these books were siloed away from each other so they could be enjoyed in isolation. 

If you preferred a solo book or a team-up book or a group book, it was up to you. But when a major portion of the year is taken up with these monstrous events, that is pretty much taken away from you. 

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 July 2016 at 6:04am | IP Logged | 7  

The other main problem is that these `Events` cease to be special when there are so blasted many of them,plus they need to keep upping the ante to ridiculous levels.

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 July 2016 at 6:08am | IP Logged | 8  

"Having had several storylines decimated by forced inclusion in "events" you can well imagine I am no fan."

We hate it and you hate it!  I have to imagine that NO creator likes being forced to be part of these things and having their stories interrupted!  Why is there no revolt to stop these things?

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 12 July 2016 at 6:09am | IP Logged | 9  

The other main problem is that these `Events` cease to be special when there are so blasted many of them,plus they need to keep upping the ante to ridiculous levels.

••

There is nothing the Companies do better than running an idea into the ground. Look at the cross-company crossovers. An amazing, mind boggling, true EVENT when Superman and Spider-Man met for the first time.

Less special when it happened again.

And again.

And again.

And became a regular series!!!

Joe Zhang
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 12 July 2016 at 6:32am | IP Logged | 10  

Events appeal to my collector's obsession for a complete set . A while ago I bought like fifty plus issues of a mega Batman crossover ("No Man's Land") and I only actually read a couple of those. There has to be some way for publishers to appeal to readers (who also happen to be collectors) without running roughshod over creativity or quality. 

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 12 July 2016 at 6:34am | IP Logged | 11  

There has to be some way for publishers to appeal to readers (who also happen to be collectors) without running roughshod over creativity or quality.

••

What little is left of the health of the industry depends upon abandoning the "collectors." It was readers that drove us for decades.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 12 July 2016 at 8:06am | IP Logged | 12  

A further note on crossovers...

When I was working on FOURTH WORLD I concocted a story about a "godwave" that was created by the destruction of the Old Gods, and that swept thru the Universe, creating the New Gods (of all planets) and then rebounding in a weaker form to lay the seeds of superhumans.

Hearing of this, which I planned as a few issues of JK4W, the Powers That Were at DC declared it "too big" for one title to hold, and coopted it for that summer's megacrossover. Paul Kupperberg, FOURTH WORLD editor, and I, were given the job of coordinating the event.

We made one decision right off: unlike previous crossovers, which had been handed down arbitrarily, dictating which issues would cross regardless of what the creative teams had already plotted, in this one we would Play Fair. No one would have to take part in the crossover unless they wanted to.

Of course, most creative teams said they wanted nothing to do with it. Some even protested that it "interfered" with their characters at an intrinsic level, even tho it actually changed nothing. (Remember, I originally planned to do this as a story contained completely in FOURTH WORLD, so the events would all be in place retroactively, and would have no effect on the current status of the characters.)

The Powers insisted that everybody get on board, and creative teams were asked to submit proposals for how they wanted their characters to fit into the overall tapestry. Which led to problem two: some of those creative teams held off until the last possible second, and then demanded that their characters play the most important parts in the stories.

sigh

The result was GENESIS (DC chickened out on GODWAVE as the title), and it was a ripe ol' mess. Too many cooks, all of whom were trying to create an entirely different meal.

And this because Paul and I decided to Play Fair!!

Page of 6 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version