Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 7 Next >>
Topic: All New Marvel (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 July 2016 at 9:27am | IP Logged | 1  

Marvel has cancelled all forty-'leven X-Men titles? Kinda puts a new spin on "No more mutants", doesn't it?

They're cancelling X-Men. They've devastated the Fantastic Four. Most of the "mainline" Avengers have been radically changed. God knows what's happening to Spider-Man (Spider-Men? Spider-People?)

I am so glad that I gave up on Marvel comics a few years ago, so that now I can avoid the awful transition, and just feel a little pity and a little disgust. No, I'm not proud of that; I WISH that Marvel were still publishing comics that I cared about, let alone wanted to buy.

But those movies keep on going, don't they?

Kinda sad to see Marvel give up like this. I'm sure Stan, Roy, Steve, Sal, and others go to bed pissed off every night at what has happened to what they built.
Back to Top profile | search

Jim Lynch
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 July 2016 at 10:42am | IP Logged | 2  

"Aren't there also Lootcrate and other comic blind boxes that artificially inflate sales?"

I've heard that's kind of like the way that Bill O'Reilly and Sarah Palin books become bestsellers, some sympathetic organization pre-orders 50,000 copies and then sells them for $3.95. Guaranteed bestseller, but how many are actually read?

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 July 2016 at 10:47am | IP Logged | 3  

I can see why the shop owner is upset,when your supplier suddenly stops supplying established favourites in favour of untested titles or ones of limited appeal,how do you order? How do you persuade your X-Men customer to buy Squirrel Girl instead,at $3.99 a pop? Thumbscrews,blackmail?
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Steve De Young
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 July 2016 at 11:08am | IP Logged | 4  

God knows what's happening to Spider-Man (Spider-Men? Spider-People?)
---------------------------------
They're cancelling Amazing Spider-Man and replacing it with a title called 'Clone Conspiracy' which brings back the Jackal and the other Clone Saga stuff.

No, I'm not joking.  They really are.

Bill Collins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 July 2016 at 11:22am | IP Logged | 5  

The lunatics really have taken over the asylum!

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 14 July 2016 at 11:32am | IP Logged | 6  

I can see why the shop owner is upset,when your supplier suddenly stops supplying established favourites in favour of untested titles or ones of limited appeal,how do you order? How do you persuade your X-Men customer to buy Squirrel Girl instead,at $3.99 a pop? Thumbscrews,blackmail?

••

This is the inherent flaw in turning a mass market product into a niche audience product. Newsstand owners/managers didn't worry about what they were ordering for their customers special needs. They ordered the same number of the same books, and if some of them were still on the rack at the end of three months, they tore off the covers, sent them back, got their money back, and that was that. If that happened enough times, publishers cancelled the books.

The DSM turned that into a marketplace where the retailer is supposed to pay attention to what his customers want -- except so many retailers don't do that. They create their own arcane calculations of what's popular and what's not. They let their own preferences inform the orders they place. They play politics. They run their shop like a clubhouse.

And here we are.

Joseph Greathouse
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 July 2016 at 11:35am | IP Logged | 7  

Here we are...in a world with no newstands. 

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 July 2016 at 12:39pm | IP Logged | 8  

Marvel has been making its world Avengers-centric for quite a long while now, though the X-titles have been plentiful in number. My hunch is that "Death of X" will be the sole X-title for a short while only, as we get caught up on what happened--between M Pox, Cyclops having done *something* that made mutants hated and feared again, the wandering Terrigen cloud and probably a number of mutant deaths--then we'll be back to our regularly scheduled programming.

That said, however, there's no doubt that mutants as a group feel less prominent in their displays and that the Fantastic Four is nonexistent. It's a very different Marvel now.

Stephen Churay
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 July 2016 at 4:03pm | IP Logged | 9  

Noticed on the promo, the Death of X looks
like there pushing the Inhumans as a
replacement.

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 July 2016 at 4:36pm | IP Logged | 10  

They've been pushing Inhumans as the replacement for mutants for a
couple of years now.

Mark Haslett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 July 2016 at 6:08pm | IP Logged | 11  

The market is so tortured and weird that it feels like a mercy killing to have FF and X-Men retired and off-limits for awhile. The end of the Fantastic Four was so dim-witted I could hardly read it and my kids literally laughed at it with scorn.

Marvel Comics Group has been unrecognizable for a long time. The books for years have reminded me of that Far Side cartoon where vultures are eating a dead cowboy and one vulture ends up with the cowboy's hat on its head and says: "Look at me, I'm a cowboy! Howdy! Howdy! Howdy!" Marvel has been dead and "reanimated" that way a long time.

Lars Sandmark
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 July 2016 at 6:52pm | IP Logged | 12  

When Marvel went out of business with the bankruptcy, these Bill Jemas guys took over the characters without knowing how to write good Superhero comicbooks.
I think that they finally realize that they don't know how to write Marvel characters.
They are avoiding the classic Marvel characters and building up no-names because they can't be accused of getting those characters 'wrong'.

"marvel SUCKS now."

<< Prev Page of 7 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version