Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 21 Next >>
Topic: Alpha Flight Omnibus (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 February 2017 at 7:34am | IP Logged | 1  

Wallace Sellars wrote:
I know that Sasquatch is a part of the Marvel Captain Marvel's story now. How
did Walter Langowski get that body back?

You asked...

(I'm a little fuzzy on some of the details, but here's the gist.)

After Walter refused to take over the Hulk's body his spirit went adrift and eventually found refuge in Smart Alec's body.

Meanwhile, Snowbird was playing house with Douglas Thompson and got pregnant. When she carried the baby to term, it was possessed by a creature called Pestilence (who also killed Douglas). To stop Pestilence, Snowbird assumed the Sasquatch form. To stop Snowbird *as Sasquatch) from killing the baby, Heather (now wearing a variation of the Guardian suit that Delphine Courtney used) killed Snowbird. Didn't work; the baby died, too.

All three were buried, their spirits were reunited in the afterlife, etc. Then Snowbird's corpse (still looking Sasquatchy) was possessed by Pestilence and attached the team about the time Smart Alec (with Walter's mind) escaped from Shaman's pouch. Wackiness ensues, and Smart Alec is killed, Pestilence goes away and Walter's in possession of Snowbird's Sasquatch body. Unfortunately for him, he's ALSO in possession of Snowbird's Narya body. So he takes to calling himself "Wanda Langkowski" and stays with the team as Sasquatch. (He didn't get her other powers and could only shift between the two forms.)

That carries us through the Mantlo run. Then when Hudnall took over (#67-70), Narya's spirit showed up and transformed "Wanda"'s body into a duplicate of Walter's and Sasquatch was his original color again.
Back to Top profile | search

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 February 2017 at 9:29am | IP Logged | 2  

Sorry that I was misremembering, JB. I would love to see you do ALPHA FLIGHT again, if only to restore this team to being a vibrant, non-US part of the Marvel universe.

And I bet you could do it, too, much as you handled the FF-- simply don't refer to the parts that don't fit, then carry on.

Meanwhile, I'll keep reading over my collected editions and being happy we had as much as we did. It sure was one terrific book.

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 February 2017 at 9:34am | IP Logged | 3  

Reading over some of the comments upthread, it strikes me strongly that later writers saw Alpha Flight as just another team, albeit one that was set in Canada instead of New York City.

And AF was never that. Never.

As much as the original Defenders, they were always a non-team--banding together by necessity but going their own way more often than not. JB really hit the nail on the head by showing these smaller one-or-two person stories, with the whole team coming together for a real crisis.

Later writers treated them like they were the Avengers.

When the basic idea of a series is discarded by the creative team, the end result won't be successful.

What does the Forum think?

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 21 February 2017 at 9:34am | IP Logged | 4  

…Heather (now wearing a variation of the Guardian suit that Delphine Courtney used) killed Snowbird. Didn't work; the baby died, too.

••

Hang on. Perhaps my memory is failing me again -- it's a LONG time ago -- but wasn't Delphine able to mimic Guardian's powers because she was a ROBOT? I don't remember "her" having a duplicate of his suit.

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 February 2017 at 9:35am | IP Logged | 5  

Lastly, to answer JB's question above on this page:

if ANYONE could make Alpha Flight a top-notch book, JB, it's you.

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 February 2017 at 9:37am | IP Logged | 6  

deleted--Dave did the homework here.

Edited by Andrew Bitner on 21 February 2017 at 10:18am

Dave Phelps
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 February 2017 at 10:12am | IP Logged | 7  

So I dug out and checked the issue in question (#32) -   Madison and Bachs used Delphine's remains to construct the new battle suit. My mistake.   

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 21 February 2017 at 11:10am | IP Logged | 8  

That wouldn't work either!!!

Ahgh!! Walk away! Walk away!!

Leigh DJ Hunt
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 February 2017 at 11:50am | IP Logged | 9  

Alpha Flight Forever (to use the term that was used before for Claremont's X-Men and discussed by JB about FF) would be an absolute dream for me. BUT I know it will never happen for all the obvious reasons.

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 February 2017 at 11:55am | IP Logged | 10  

How would Heather get a functional suit that duplicated Guardian's? There are a couple of possibilities.

Guardian's helmet was torn off by Jerry Jaxon/Box in their fight. Presumably it survived. That's a key piece of technology and might be a workable starting point for anyone trying to reverse engineer Mac's work.

Did Roger Bochs help Mac streamline his original exoskeleton into the sleek garment-style tech he had as Guardian? I'm not sure that was ever said...or explicitly made impossible. It's an open question. If it's plausible that Roger helped Mac with some engineering, he might have a good working knowledge of the suit.

Madison Jeffries could work with Bochs to customize anything and certainly cut down on manufacturing time. He might be able to recreate some pieces intuitively but I don't know how far that mutant power goes or what his limits might be.

There's also that Delphine's machinery has little or nothing to do with what Mac built, except insofar as she added some features to imitate his suit's capabilities. As an ersatz Guardian, we don't know if her tech could be made into anything resembling a Guardian suit.

There are ways to give Heather what she uses later, but creating a suit from the broken remains of Delphine Courtney seems like a harder path to take than need be, IMHO.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 21 February 2017 at 2:11pm | IP Logged | 11  

There are ways to give Heather what she uses later, but creating a suit from the broken remains of Delphine Courtney seems like a harder path to take than need be, IMHO.

••

Of course, I never intended Heather to take on a superhero role. (Or to get breast implants!)

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 February 2017 at 4:00pm | IP Logged | 12  

Dave thanks for the correction re Manlo and bringing back Guardin. Truth be told, I haven't read that issue since first published and my memory of it is sketchy to say the least.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

<< Prev Page of 21 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version