Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 21 Next >>
Topic: Alpha Flight Omnibus (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 February 2017 at 8:26am | IP Logged | 1  

Perfect
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 February 2017 at 5:45pm | IP Logged | 2  

It's... kind of appropriate if we imagine JB's team vanished after that crossover (although I did like JB's return later on).
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 20 February 2017 at 7:34pm | IP Logged | 3  

…I did like JB's return later on…

••

Okay, what have I forgotten now??

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 February 2017 at 8:38pm | IP Logged | 4  

Your later covers, maybe?

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 20 February 2017 at 10:24pm | IP Logged | 5  

JB, wasn't this crossover with Hulk when you left the book for the first time? I might be misremembering... if so, apologies for any confusion!

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 20 February 2017 at 10:51pm | IP Logged | 6  

I left AF only once, Andrew, and the HULK crossover was the mechanism.

Greg Kirkman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 February 2017 at 1:29am | IP Logged | 7  

I say this not to denigrate any of the subsequent creative teams, but I firmly believe that John Byrne is the only writer and artist who can do ALPHA FLIGHT justice. That series is so totally his baby, so totally a product of his particular style and tastes, that no one else could possibly do those characters and that series correctly. Differently? Sure. In a good, entertaining way? Maybe. Correctly? Nope.

While there were some good stories and interesting ideas which came along, post-Byrne, nothing else holds a candle to what those first 28 issues gave us, in terms of characters and world-building. 

This is much in the same way that no one else other than Byrne could possibly do a NEXT MEN story. It's a true marriage between creator and series. Indeed, I very much consider ALPHA FLIGHT to be a direct forerunner of NEXT MEN.

Tempted to pick up the Omnibus, although I already have the original printings for the bulk of what's included. And, really, since I have both the X-MEN issues and the 28 issues of AF, the non-JB material ain't really worth it!

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 February 2017 at 2:21am | IP Logged | 8  

I don't think I have enjoyed a single story about any members of Alpha Flight that was not written or drawn by JB.

Other writers either just don't understand the characters, the concept, the dynamics or just plain come up with 'Alpha Flight exist to be killed' riffs. And seriously, while I liked a lot of Bill Mantlo's output - a lot of his Hulk, Rom, Micronauts, some Cloak and Dagger - I hated his take on Alpha Flight.

I was genuinely mystified when he brought back Guardian using the plot that JB used as a false plot. I know there were a lot of stories about Mantlo copying story ideas, but to do it in the actual comic that the original idea was printed (and shown to be complete and utter nonsense) was just unbelievable.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 21 February 2017 at 3:09am | IP Logged | 9  

I wonder if I COULD return to ALPHA FLIGHT at this stage of the game? So much water under the bridge.

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 February 2017 at 5:34am | IP Logged | 10  

You might be able to return to the characters and art... but while, as you've noted, M*A*R*V*E*L is involved, it's a sucker's game.

Now see, if you ran a kickstarter for a book with the FF, or X-Men, or AF... or even my hidden desire of JSA/Invaders... :) :) :)

Dave Phelps
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 February 2017 at 7:07am | IP Logged | 11  

James Woodcock wrote:
I was genuinely mystified when (Mantlo) brought back Guardian using the plot that JB used as a false plot. I know there were a lot of stories about Mantlo copying story ideas, but to do it in the actual comic that the original idea was printed (and shown to be complete and utter nonsense) was just unbelievable.

It wasn't Mantlo. The story that brought Guardian back the first time (in #87-90) was by Fabian Nicieza. Then he killed Guardian off again in #100 but then Simon Furman brought him back again in the last issue of the original run, #130.

Faiz Rehman
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 21 February 2017 at 7:18am | IP Logged | 12  

This was my first ever Marvel Omnibus. Reading the comments from my fellow enthusiasts on this very forum, and recalling the beautiful strips from the Marvel UK reprints (in Secret Wars bi-weekly IFRC), I thought it was time to give the format a go. It's easy these days to pick up old comics in digital format, but there's something special about reading it in print. So glad I did - this tome just arrived. I got it for under £50 on Books Etc (less than $60) so great value, too. Just flicked through the book and it looks gorgeous.

The main story page designs look so fresh and exciting - the pacing holds up well. JB makes drawing gorgeous super heroes in amazing action scenes  look effortless. Also great to see the Hulk Annual strip again by JB and Uncle Roger.

From a book production POV, the package is very solid. Can't wait to start reading this:) 

<< Prev Page of 21 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version