Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 21 Next >>
Topic: Alpha Flight Omnibus (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 14 February 2017 at 12:26pm | IP Logged | 1  

But they're placed in the wrong spot.

••

sigh

Back to Top profile | search

Joe Smith
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 February 2017 at 2:16pm | IP Logged | 2  

Aww, man. Please tell me he did not sigh in this sacred thread.

Edited by Joe Smith on 15 February 2017 at 12:28am
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Jeff Scott
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 February 2017 at 2:35pm | IP Logged | 3  

I read Alpha Flight #1-28 (Byrnes run) when they first came out in the 1980's.  I have never re-read these issues so I can not offer an accurate review.  The writing was just ok, art much better.  For me the team/family aspect never clicked, never understood WHY these characters were together since they spent a lot of time in solo stories.  Killing off Guardian was insulting to me because it seemed like just another death for shock value attempt (or temporary sales boost) that was becoming so prevalent in comics at the time.The original team itself was flawlessas were the new members, Puck & Marina.  So many possibilities but for whatever reason it just (overall) didn't work.  The multiple personalities of Aurora was a genius move, really liked Shaman too. 

On Instocktrades the AF Omnibus has the Top Seller #1 spot right now.  John Byrne books always sell well. :)

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 14 February 2017 at 3:53pm | IP Logged | 4  

My god, Jeff. Why did you keep reading it if you never liked it?

Matthew Wilkie
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 February 2017 at 1:11am | IP Logged | 5  

never understood WHY these characters were together since they spent a lot of time in solo stories.

With respect, isn't that a contradiction? For the most part of this run, it was about a team that simply couldn't function together and, for me, that's why this title stood out. I love the fact that the team never operate together, with a full line-up, for the whole 28 issues.

(I do appreciate it's down to taste so no offence intended.)

Matthew Wilkie
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 February 2017 at 1:15am | IP Logged | 6  

Killing off Guardian was insulting to me because it seemed like just another death for shock value attempt (or temporary sales boost) that was becoming so prevalent in comics at the time.

I may be misremembering but wasn't Guardian ahead of the curve when it came to big name deaths? I'm certainly not saying he was the first, but was such a thing "so prevalent" at that time?

Shawn Kane
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 February 2017 at 6:53am | IP Logged | 7  

The Death of Guardian happened when deaths in comics still had an impact. Such an impact for me that when Fabian Nicieza resurrected him later on, I never considered it legitimate.

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 February 2017 at 7:25am | IP Logged | 8  

Me neither. Well, there's also the fact that the explanation given for Guardian's return was intentionally impossible - so I'm still waiting for the reveal that Guardian's been actually dead all this time. 

Shawn Kane
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 February 2017 at 8:42am | IP Logged | 9  

If memory serves correctly, didn't they kill him off again before the Pat Broderick run (when the Alphas wore identical costumes)?

Vinny Valenti
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 February 2017 at 8:57am | IP Logged | 10  

I'd have to Google it....they've killed him like 3-4 times after JB did it.

Kinda like Phoenix!

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 February 2017 at 10:25am | IP Logged | 11  

A string of writers on ALPHA FLIGHT's various incarnations, post-JB, tried to alternately undo and then redo what he'd done: establishing a post-Guardian set up for the not-quite-team.

To me, that's been a huge problem. Guardian *could* have been resurrected, though I would NEVER have used JB's way of doing it, as that was explicitly Delphine Courtney's lie to Heather. It was barely plausible and, once exposed as a lie, should have been retired. (Besides which, how did that android have any idea it was what really happened, as later writers claimed?)

A few members of AF are now partnered up with Captain Marvel on a space station, which makes zero sense.

If the book ever does come around again, they should probably relaunch with some veteran members and perhaps a replacement Guardian--let Jim Hudson be their leader emeritus. Then they can get to building (once more) a mythos that is specific to those characters and do a MISSION: IMPOSSIBLE thing once again--letting the individual team members have one-or-two issue stories and then team up every 12 issues or so.

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 February 2017 at 10:28am | IP Logged | 12  

On a less-exasperated note:

I bought the 3 ALPHA FLIGHT collections on Kindle and have been reliving the title's glory days. Man, those were great stories! It also drives home an aphorism that the creator is usually the guy who got it right...and nobody wrote or illustrated AF nearly as well as JB.

<< Prev Page of 21 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version