Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 3 Next >>
Topic: Q4JB:Biggest Misconceptions about Comic Industry (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 May 2016 at 11:23am | IP Logged | 1  

"• The writer does the lettering. I suppose that's sort of logical, from an outsider viewpoint."

---

I fell for that one. Specifically, I thought that the letterer was the scripter, with the credited writer being just the plotter.

The main reason was Tom Orzechowski's long association with Chris Claremont-scripted titles. CC left NEW MUTANTS, with Orz staying on under Louise Simonson for a little while. Something was making me feel uncomfortable reading it, and then I realized that it was because for the first time I was looking at words rendered in his unique lettering style but not "hearing" CC's ticks as I was reading them.
Back to Top profile | search

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 May 2016 at 12:09pm | IP Logged | 2  

I'd imagine a lot more people think they know how comics are made than actually do.

Andrew W. Farago
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 May 2016 at 12:23pm | IP Logged | 3  

-Comics are like newspapers put together and shipped just days before I bought them.

The big reason that I wasn't 100% sure I wanted to be a comic strip artist as a kid was the notion that you had to wake up early every single morning and draw a comic strip for that day's newspaper.  The idea of getting up on Christmas morning and having to draw a strip before opening presents seemed especially unfair.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Michael Murphy
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 May 2016 at 1:26pm | IP Logged | 4  

Artists just draw what they're told. Even to this day there are lots of fans, never mind civilians, who do not understand the plot/pencils/script approach, sometimes called the Marvel Method.
----------------------------------------------------------
Is the plot/pencils/script approach that common any more, at least at M***** and DC? I had the (possibly mistaken) impression that most artists for the Big 2 are drawing from full scripts these days where the panel layout is dictated to them.

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 May 2016 at 7:58pm | IP Logged | 5  

He explained that his division was responsible for 80% of the company's revenue. The perception that the parks, movies, comics, etc. are the big money makers at ABC/Disney is a huge misconception.
------------------------------------
I'm not sure about this. If he is saying news division of ABC is responsible for 80% of Disney's profits, this is definitely not true.

It is true that of the major segments of Disney, it is Media Networks (that contains ABC) that is the biggest segment in terms of revenue. Much bigger than Studio Entertainment (that makes the movies) and bigger than Parks and Resorts.

Of Media Networks, ESPN is considered the jewel in the crown. Not ABC.

I don't know where that 80% figure comes from.

By revenue, the major segments broke down in fiscal 2015 as follows:

Media Networks: 44.3%
Parks & Resorts: 30.8%
Studio Entertainment: 14.0%
Consumer Products: 8.6%
Interactive: 2.2%

So the overall gist of what he said is sort of true. Though it ignores the crossover between segments that an IP will have. Marvel or Star Wars does not just live in Consumer Products as comic and merchandising cash cows or in Studio Entertainment as film properties. They influence parks & resorts, they influence media networks. ABC shows Marvel shows. Star Wars rebels shows on Disney XD. Kelly and Michael will try to attract viewers to ABC by featuring guests from the Star Wars movies or Avengers movies. ABC premiered trailers for Force Awakens and Age of Ultron with a resulting viewer boost. And so on. It's difficult to unpick Disney's ecosystem. 

Rodrigo castellanos
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 May 2016 at 9:51pm | IP Logged | 6  

I'm even more surprised that Parks & Resorts more than doubles what they make in Studio Entertainment... wow

Trevor Thompson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 May 2016 at 2:42am | IP Logged | 7  

• We all work together in one big office. I'll admit that it surprised me, too, when I visited Marvel and DC back in '71 and learned that mostly it was only production staff who actually worked in the offices of the various companies. Artists and writers were scattered everywhere.

• We're all pals and hang out together after work. A cousin to the above. And some do. But most don't. Geographical distance makes it impossible, even if clashing egos did not sometimes get in the way.

I blame Stan Lee for this one. The MMMS club and Bullpen thing made me think that everyone worked together in the office and got on swimmingly.

In the 80s I thought Stan was still at Marvel and hadn't realised he'd left in the 70s.

Marc Cheek
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 May 2016 at 4:37am | IP Logged | 8  

I blame Stan Lee for this one. The MMMS club and Bullpen thing made me think that everyone worked together in the office and got on swimmingly.

I thought the same thing. I was shocked when I first read that Joe Sinnott and Jack Kirby had only met in person once. In 1976!
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Greg Woronchak
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 May 2016 at 6:12am | IP Logged | 9  

As a naive kid, my misconception was that all comic creators loved the characters they worked on, and were absolutely thrilled to be working in the field (because that's how I would've felt!)

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 May 2016 at 7:24am | IP Logged | 10  

I admit I thought everyone worked at the Marvel offices. And for a long time I thought the artwork was directly coloured by the colourist.

What happened to the coloured photostats after they went to the printers? Thrown away?

Edited to add:

Hey, fake milestone!

Edited by Peter Martin on 11 May 2016 at 11:27am

Gundars Berzins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 May 2016 at 3:14pm | IP Logged | 11  

Great points made from your reply JB. Been there when I was a kid with some of these thoughts and questions. 

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 May 2016 at 3:34pm | IP Logged | 12  

Of course, the smaller you are, the more these things are true!  As a self-publisher who sometimes works with other "little guys," a lot of these things sound familiar.  A writer I work with letters our comics as he scripts them.  I DO hang out with anybody I work with!  And I have hand-colored my covers.

<< Prev Page of 3 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version