Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 5 Next >>
Topic: Wonder Woman -- Role Model For Girls? (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 May 2016 at 6:38am | IP Logged | 1  

This morning I saw this:

A pretty powerful message in a single panel for a young girl reader (or a boy!).

My question to all is: what do you think of Wonder Woman as a role model for girls over the years?

I've never been a reader of her comics. I had long stopped reading comicbooks by the time JB got to her (unfortunately). 
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 02 May 2016 at 8:11am | IP Logged | 2  

Don't get me started. . . .

Too late!

William Marston did, indeed, create Wonder Woman to be "Superman for girls." The character was to embody everything that Marston perceived as strong in woman, to be a role model.

Didn't really take too long for that to fall apart. One of the elements Marston installed was the notion that if a man chained WW's bracelets together, she would lose all her powers. (It was her kryptonite.) Pretty soon, WONDER WOMAN turned into a light bondage book.

What I found frustrating, tho, was that by the time I came to write and draw her adventures, after the rise of "Feminism," when one would have though a strong, self-possesed, self-motivated woman was a given, DC was still deliberately toning her down. The capper came when I was asked to do the DC Xmas card durning my tenure on Princess DIana's book. Previous years had given us Superman and Batman performing heroic, "super deeds," albeit with a Xmas theme. The sketch I was handed for Diana was her sitting under a tree with various animals gathered around her. Totally passive.

I balked, and refused to do the card. It went to someone else, so that image was the "official" Wonder Woman that year despite my protests.

"Yes! Wonder Woman should be a role model! As long as she stays in her place!"

David Allen Perrin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 May 2016 at 8:29am | IP Logged | 3  

Wow.  Its odd that someone would have the 'guts' to tell you what to draw for a Wonder Woman image meant to be (what I assume is) a positive message commemorating the holiday season.  

It's like if you can't trust John Byrne to understand THIS particular assignment....then you've got issues.  

Edited by David Allen Perrin on 02 May 2016 at 8:29am

Andrew Bitner
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 May 2016 at 8:31am | IP Logged | 4  

It's sad that Wonder Woman is only a role model with qualifications.

For my daughter, the JUSTICE LEAGUE/JUSTICE LEAGUE UNLIMITED version of Wonder Woman was great--she fought as hard as any of the guys and was never relegated to being the League's secretary or getting coffee.

But my daughter doesn't read Wonder Woman comics (she's seven; there isn't a lot published for her, and what is she dismisses as "for little kids") and her connection to the character these days is almost nonexistent. She does like the new Supergirl on TV but is annoyed that she can't find toys based on the show yet.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 02 May 2016 at 8:37am | IP Logged | 5  

Sad, too, that some writers cannot make her strong without making her butch.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 02 May 2016 at 8:38am | IP Logged | 6  

Oh, and I direct to the top image in this thread the eyes of all those who insist Wonder Woman wears a "tiara".

Monte Gruhlke
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 May 2016 at 9:28am | IP Logged | 7  

Wonder Woman continues to be the 'go-to' iconic role model for girls, if only for its immense familiarity and prominence within superhero culture.  Always one of the 'big three' heroes and easily on par with the other two.

Marston may have ultimately failed his creation, but the potential and promise of Wonder Woman continues to thrive.

Girls are thirsty for a strong, positive role model that embodies heroic values that could be emulated - unfortunately Wonder Woman’s destiny continues to be shaped (and sometimes suppressed) by men.

On a similar note, I've been wanting a quality Wonder Woman movie for decades, but am of the opinion that this movie kept getting kicked down to the road because they didn't want her to overshadow the Superman or Batman franchises. I'm thinking that the upcoming Gadot powerhouse Wonder Woman film is going to set HUGE records that the men will be hard-pressed to keep pace with.

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 02 May 2016 at 9:46am | IP Logged | 8  

The first rule when making a Wonder Woman movie would be keeping in mind that she is an action hero. She is smart, savvy, elegant and glamorous, but she can kick butt with the best of them.

The upcoming WONDER WOMAN movie has a female director, which is a plus --- but which also has the potential to be a minus. I recall when DC appointed a woman to edit a collection of their romance comics. She chose the stories for inclusion based on, well, the stories. Not the art. The analog here is using Wonder Woman to tell a story that misses the action hero core of her character.

We shall see!*

-------------

* I will be watching the trailers waiting for that ONE LINE that will either win me over completely or sink the thing entirely.

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 May 2016 at 9:49am | IP Logged | 9  

Wonder Woman has long seemed to be an extraordinarily difficult character to write, because American society doesn't understand how to use women in any role that isn't somewhat subservient. 

Wonder Woman should demonstrate that a woman can be an independent agent who can be a super hero on her own. I think it's more important that she show that ANYONE can be strong and heroic - not just women, but others who associate with a subordinate status (whether that's appropriate or not - for instance, a girl with drive should get inspiration, as should a young person of any gender in a wheel chair, or with weight issues, or non-white, or being bullied, or even with gender issues... I hope the point is made.)

As for those who say that Wonder Woman's mission of peace can be simplified to "Fighting for peace? That's the same as screwing for virginity" do not understand the English language enough to know that "Fighting" does not necessarily involve actual fisticuffs. But ignorance seems epidemic sometimes.

I have reason to believe that writing WW is inordinately difficult, much as writing Captain America or Superman. A Batman or Iron Man or Daredevil story seems easy; getting Diana, or Cap or Kal-El story while still maintaining their character must be a tremendous challenge. Mr. Byrne, surely you can contribute your experiences to let me know if this is a valid observation or not...? Thank you.

Brian Peck
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 May 2016 at 12:13pm | IP Logged | 10  

I picked up a Wonder Woman comic right after the 52 reboot. Was curious to
see how they would handle her. Alot of action but the one thing that turned me
off was the violence and bloodshed. I have no issue with either just depends
on the situation and character. They had Wonder Woman cutting off a head
with blood going all over. I felt that was a bit much, it could have been inferred
off screen or no decapitation at all.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Brian Peck
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 May 2016 at 12:17pm | IP Logged | 11  

Oh, and I direct to the top image in this thread the eyes of all those who insist
Wonder Woman wears a "tiara".

JB,
The new Wonder Woman reboot has it being called a tiara.

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 02 May 2016 at 12:26pm | IP Logged | 12  

Wonder if the cape is only worn as "dress blues" and not during regular adventuring ?

Page of 5 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version