Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 4 Next >>
Topic: "Gut" question for JB (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 April 2016 at 11:47am | IP Logged | 1  

John Byrne wrote:
Thor, Iron Man, the FF, etc, could be dropped into painful stories with wretched art, and somehow they would prevail. Bob had become a fan of the characters, not what was being done with them.

Took until fairly recently for people to find ways to actually break the characters.

This reminds me of something I thought a long time ago -- that the Fantastic Four were so great you almost couldn't write a bad story about them. The sheer appeal of the characters would make it entertaining at some level.

The last fifteen years have felt like a concerted effort to prove me wrong.
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 24 April 2016 at 12:10pm | IP Logged | 2  

This reminds me of something I thought a long time ago -- that the Fantastic Four were so great you almost couldn't write a bad story about them. The sheer appeal of the characters would make it entertaining at some level.

The last fifteen years have felt like a concerted effort to prove me wrong.

••

I wish I could convince myself that you are wrong about that, but I really can't. There's an old saying about not attributing to malice what can be explained with incompetence -- but when something happens over and over and over and over. . . . . .

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 April 2016 at 9:09pm | IP Logged | 3  

Marvel's "imperfect" heroes were more interesting to me than the crime
fighters over at DC.

The FF were more family than superhero team, and they both argued
and loved like it. Oh, and the group had a monster for a member!
Speaking of which, the Hulk was a combination of Frankenstein and Mr.
Hyde who was more interested in being left alone than fighting bad
guys. Spider-Man was a skinny bookworm of a kid with a sickly aunt
and money problems who was still a hero. Tony Stark's Iron Man armor
helped him take on supervillains and kept his ticket ticking! Daredevil
was a blind man who successfully battled crime as a fairly light-hearted
hero! The X-Men were students who learned to use their powers to
protect the very people who feared and hated them.

*The characters' "flaws" didn't keep them from being heroic, just gave
them feet of clay.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 April 2016 at 9:13pm | IP Logged | 4  

I prefer Iron Man with a heart condition and Thor with the no-more-
than-60-seconds-without-Mjolnir limitation.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Paul Reis
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 April 2016 at 12:19am | IP Logged | 5  

i had the occasional foray into DC, Charlton, Gold Key, Tower, even MLJ but i started off, and remained a Marvel fan during all my "collecting" years. 

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 25 April 2016 at 6:18am | IP Logged | 6  

I prefer Iron Man with a heart condition…

••

I was quite delighted when the first movie got this right. Stark did not have a "heart condition". He had something very familiar to a generation recently emerged from global conflict: a piece of shrapnel lodge "dangerously near" his heart. The magnetic chest plate was intended to hold the shrapnel in place, keeping him alive, but creating the problem that the chest plate could not be removed.

Over a very short time, in the comics, this mutated into a "heart condition." Not the same thing!

Michael Penn
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 April 2016 at 6:51am | IP Logged | 7  

Marvel's "imperfect" heroes were more interesting to me than the crime 
fighters over at DC.

Question for any and all: is Batman an "imperfect" hero more in the Marvel mode?

Marc Cheek
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 April 2016 at 7:20am | IP Logged | 8  

I was all Marvel from the time I bought my first issue of The Fantastic Four at age 10, and stayed that way until the advent of the direct sales market, and discovering the first LCS shop in my area maybe 5 years later. From that point, I was buying comics from Pacific, First and the very occasional DC. As time went on, I bought more DC titles, but I never really felt the same way about the DC Universe that I did about the Marvel Universe. Unfortunately, that Marvel Universe no longer exists.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 25 April 2016 at 9:00am | IP Logged | 9  

Question for any and all: is Batman an "imperfect" hero more in the Marvel mode?

••

He has been turned into one and, typically, taken too far in that direction.

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 April 2016 at 11:27am | IP Logged | 10  

I'd say there's a Marvel-esque slant to Batman's origin, the character being borne out of tragedy, but the fully-realised Batman is more in control than the typical Marvel character.

Batman is about order, control, justice. He is well organised and methodical. I think this aligns more with the DC 'perfect' archetype than the Marvel feet-of-clay type hero who is often winging it. 

Peter Hicks
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 April 2016 at 1:03pm | IP Logged | 11  

I was raised Marvel as a kid (72-78) but then migrated to DC when I got back into comics in 1984 as an adult. I have not heard of anyone else who has taken that path.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 25 April 2016 at 1:30pm | IP Logged | 12  

I'd say there's a Marvel-esque slant to Batman's origin, the character being borne out of tragedy, but the fully-realised Batman is more in control than the typical Marvel character.

Batman is about order, control, justice. He is well organised and methodical. I think this aligns more with the DC 'perfect' archetype than the Marvel feet-of-clay type hero who is often winging it.

••

Played properly, Batman is a guy who spent most of his life honing his body and mind to the closest to perfection they can get. He is NOT a "psycho ninja."

I have often mentioned that the key to Batman lies in the opening monolog by Godfrey Cambridge in THE PRESIDENT'S ANALYST. Cambridge's CEA agent tells psychoanalyst James Coburn about a childhood experience that segues into him revealing he killed a double agent a few minutes earlier. Being convinced that Cambridge really is a government agent, Coburn realizes this answers a question that has been puzzling him. Cambridge seems in no need of analysis, since he has no pent up hostilities or the like, and that is because he can vent his emotions by actually killing people! Batman doesn't kill, but he does do exactly what he promised his parents he would do.

<< Prev Page of 4 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version