Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 4 Next >>
Topic: "Gut" question for JB (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 April 2016 at 4:03pm | IP Logged | 1  

When I was a child, Marvel and DC comics were published by the same company for s ome time, so I wasn't aware that the characters belonged originally to two different houses.
When I knew of the Secret Wars action figures and the Super Powers action figures I tried to figure out what the criterion for choosing the characters for each collection was.
Somehow I felt that the characters chosen for Super Powers were more legendary, more archetypical.
When I discovered that there were DC and Marvel, and that my 2 favourite superheroes, Superman and Batman, were DC and my number 3, Spider-man, was Marvel, it was clear to me. I liked both, but DC better.
When I begun buying comics, I bought a few "Batman" and "Batman and the Outsiders" comics, and a lot of Superman. Man of Steel was one of the big events in my life and I kept buying Superman titles until a few years after his death and resurrection.
But I also read and enjoyed Spider-man, the Invaders, the Fantastic Four, etc.
Today, all in all, to me it is a tie. 
Back to Top profile | search

Ted Downum
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 April 2016 at 4:54pm | IP Logged | 2  

I've lived on both sides of the train tracks. In my comics-reading prime, I was a Marvel zealot, probably to the point of obnoxiousness. I loved Superman and Batman as characters, and I really liked the concept of the Legion of Super-Heroes, but most DC stuff in the late seventies/early eighties always seemed to be missing something (irreverence? excitement? cleverness?) that you could find in any random Marvel book you picked up. Although I'd get Action or Detective once in a while, my Marvel-to-DC ratio probably ran 9 to 1.

I have our gracious host to thank for leading me over to DC in the post-Crisis days. I had enormous fun meeting characters like the Metal Men, the Green Lantern Corps, the New Gods, the Doom Patrol, etc., through JB's work, and over the next couple of years my Marvel-to-DC ratio more or less reversed itself.

Nowadays, I don't read anything new from either company on a regular basis. If I do get something from the Big Two on a lark, it's 99% certain to be a DC title. 

Thom Price
Byrne Robotics Member
L’Homme Diabolique

Posted: 23 April 2016 at 5:37pm | IP Logged | 3  

Throughout my childhood, I read far more DC comics than Marvel; the only Marvel comic I read consistently was THE AVENGERS.  In the aftermath of "Crisis", I drifted away from DC towards Marvel.  Within a few years, it hardly mattered -- comics started to change towards something I no longer enjoyed.

In retrospect, I would say I have a stronger affinity towards DC's main characters but enjoy Marvel comics more.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Michael Hogan
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 April 2016 at 8:02pm | IP Logged | 4  

It's amazing how many "JBs" we have on this board. ;)
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 23 April 2016 at 8:12pm | IP Logged | 5  

Forum Decorum: once the person asked has answered, others are free to chime in. It's called "conversation."

Bill Guerra
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 April 2016 at 9:10pm | IP Logged | 6  

Marvel for me. They lured me in with Spider-Man when I was a wee lad. They addicted me with the Transformers when I was a little older.

Eric Jansen
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 23 April 2016 at 10:46pm | IP Logged | 7  

What I'm getting from a lot of the answers here is that CRISIS (after the first couple of years of JB on SUPERMAN) and other big events (and directions) at both companies that were supposed to draw in new readers actually drove readers away!

The post-CRISIS confusion at DC and the glut of pseudo-Image art at Marvel in the 90's drove me and a lot of people on this board (and elsewhere, I believe) away from mainstream comics.  And endless reboots at DC and dour "epics" at Marvel are still driving people away.

Again, looking at the answers above, we mostly seem to like the fun and energy of the first couple of decades at Marvel and we like the characters' iconic timelessness at DC.  If the Big Two would only grasp this, we might see a new generation of KIDS arguing "Marvel or DC?"!

Allan Summerall
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 April 2016 at 5:29am | IP Logged | 8  

I was a Marvel guy all the way at my beginning of reading comics. I didn't buy my first DC book until Superman's 50th anniversary rolled around and on a whim picked up an issue of Superman with John Byrne writing and Mike Mignola on art. After that,DC's "Invasion" story had me running from spinner rack to spinner rack buying all the tie-in issues I could find. For a while,I wouldn't have been able to decide which of the 2 companies I favored. I'd say based on what I've read over the years,I lean towards Marvel just a bit more than DC but not by a whole lot. :)

Edited by Allan Summerall on 24 April 2016 at 5:41am

Rick Senger
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 April 2016 at 7:33am | IP Logged | 9  

Started as a DC guy but my prime comic buying years were 80% devoted to Marvel. 

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 24 April 2016 at 8:32am | IP Logged | 10  

This is reminding me of a conversation I had, long ago, with Bob Harras. He was new at Marvel, then, and told me how he had become a great fan in the Seventies.

"The Seventies?? But Marvel SUCKED in the Seventies!!!"

But it was an important lesson. I began to understand how virtually unbreakable those characters were. Thor, Iron Man, the FF, etc, could be dropped into painful stories with wretched art, and somehow they would prevail. Bob had become a fan of the characters, not what was being done with them.

Took until fairly recently for people to find ways to actually break the characters.

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 April 2016 at 9:39am | IP Logged | 11  

Marvel, Marvel, Marvel

I liked Batman but didn't read him. New Teen Titans was my first regular DC comic and that led to a fair bit like Batman and the Outsiders and LSH but I bought a lot more Marvel than DC.

Like JB says above, the characters were so much better and could weather a lot of bad stories. But now the characters have changed and continue to change to the point I have no idea what's what and who's who (from what I read on the web), I can't see me going back.

Which is a shame.

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 24 April 2016 at 9:58am | IP Logged | 12  

At the height of my comic reading I was probably buying 4 or 5 titles every tuesday (I think it was tues.) off the spinner. It was pretty even between Marvel and DC once Atlas folded. I would read those Marvel titles with their gritty sometimes relatable stories and characters and think it can't get better than this. Then I would start a string of DC titles and get lost in the fantasy or otherworldly stories. By the end though, as I got older, I was buying probably 3 titles to 1 for Marvel.

<< Prev Page of 4 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version