Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 3 Next >>
Topic: Q for the Board: Just in Time For the End of an Era (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 April 2016 at 2:55am | IP Logged | 1  

I came on board right at the tail end of the Steve Englehart/Sal Buscema era on CAPTAIN AMERICA with #181--just in time to make it my all-time favorite comic!  Amazingly, it was a storyline in which Steve Rogers wasn't even Captain America!  Disillusioned by the whole Secret Empire infiltrating the U.S. government thing, he became Nomad while unqualified amateurs tried to fill his Cap boots.  Englehart would stick around for a few issues and finish up the storyline with Frank Robbins on art, and Sal Buscema would draw Cap in a dream sequence and over in AVENGERS or wherever, and I found a couple of back issues and the "reprint"/book on record that brought in Baron Zemo's son.  Sal's version was THE perfect marriage of artist and character for me, and I was very glad when he returned later for a run with writer Roger McKenzie.  But as I got older, I learned that the issues I really enjoyed were written by the Englehart guy (who I LOVED over at DC on his relatively short runs on DETECTIVE COMICS and JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA--the best writing either book ever had).

Boy, things were disappointing for a while after both Englehart and Sal left the book, but I very much enjoyed Kirby's solo run that began a few months later.

Back to Top profile | search

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 April 2016 at 5:58am | IP Logged | 2  

I started collecting comic seriously in the beginning part of the 70s, so just in time for the end of the Silver Age.

Dave Phelps
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 April 2016 at 8:55am | IP Logged | 3  

In terms of the very first comics I ever got (1981), I guess the closest would be Avengers #210, the issue before the Vision and Scarlet Witch left the team after having been an ongoing part of the cast since #57 and #76, respectively. (Beast and Wonder Man left, too, but their tenures weren't nearly as long.)

If I could expand the timeline into when I was actually following books regularly (1983), then the biggies would be Peter Parker quitting school (Amazing Spider-Man #243) and Dick Grayson's last adventure as Robin alongside Batman (Batman and the Outsiders #5).

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 09 April 2016 at 9:42am | IP Logged | 4  

I was present for the birth of the Silver Age, so I suppose I also saw the Golden Age end, tho when I was reading comics in my Tweens and early Teens it would have been very hard to convince me I was not seeing a true Golden Age in American comics.

At the risk of sounding too cynical (Moi?) I'll also note that I saw the birth of the Marvel Age and, sadly, lived long enough to see it die.

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 09 April 2016 at 10:15pm | IP Logged | 5  

I came in around 1976 and so got to see the "end" of the Schwartz/O'Neil Superman refurbishing. Although many of its effects continued afterwards (Clark Kent, newscaster; WGBS; Steve Lombard, & Morgan Edge) the push for new fashions for Clark, relevancy, the reduced power scale, and elimination of kryptonite all went away, returning to the previous settings established during the Weisinger era for the most part.

The thick 100 page comics, flush with reprints, went away around this time as well, and the tabloid sized books went soon after. That largely eliminated easy newsstand access to golden age reprints and truncated the sense of these characters' histories. Fans coming in later might have heard that Superman was in WWII, but for a while in my day, you could actually still buy some of those stories in your monthly purchase of the character, complete with articles written by Bob Rozakis or E. Nelson Bridwell. 

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Brian O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 April 2016 at 10:36am | IP Logged | 6  

DC introduced digests around the time it phased out the tabloid editions (although tabloids had a 'last gasp' in 1981, with a 'Superman II' magazine(not an adaptation, but a feature magazine about the film), and the 'Superman's Fortress' and 'Batman/Hulk' specials.
 The Fortress issue was Roy Thomas's first DC assignment after leaving Marvel, a mostly forgettable story in which Superman must search every room in the Fortress in one hour to prevent the end of the world. The story finally showed the Fortress' 'upper level', which had been teased/hinted at for years. IIRC, there was nothing really amazing up there, and I don't think it was ever shown again.
I liked that the tabloids, and occasionally even the digests and Dollar Comics, would turn up in places like supermarkets or Woolworth, even though the ones in my town didn't sell regular comics, and my usual stop for comics had the other formats, but not the tabloids.

Robert Shepherd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 April 2016 at 5:12pm | IP Logged | 7  

As I look back at my comic memories, I'm most glad I started reading early enough to experience Avengers 100-200. Those were the best 100 issues ever - for me.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Greg Woronchak
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 April 2016 at 7:02am | IP Logged | 8  

I collected Daredevil on a whim around 186, the tail end of Frank's interesting run. I was able to track down earlier issues (the Angel Dust tale) and was hooked by how exciting the stories were!
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Craig Markley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 April 2016 at 11:23am | IP Logged | 9  

I as buying comics off the rack for a while. When I was in 7-8th grade, I started getting subscriptions. I tried to figure out which books were going to be hitting milestone issues so I would be sure to get them. I had subscriptions to Daredevil, Captain America, Marvel Two-In-One, and Uncanny X-Men.

During that time I was able to get Daredevil #200 (which included Miller and Byrne art), Captain America #300 (Mike Zeck art), Marvel Two-In-One #100 (Byrne writer and would continue in The Thing) and Uncanny X-Men #150.

My first subscription issue of X-Men was #144. At the time, I was VERY disappointed that JB was no longer providing the art. MTIO was disappointing also when they transferred the series over to The Thing. JB was the writer but I liked the title because it would mostly include characters who didn't have their own titles.

Robert Bradley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 April 2016 at 1:48pm | IP Logged | 10  

Matt - We certainly jumped on board at about the same time!

Back to Top profile | search | www

Mike Norris
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 11 April 2016 at 4:43pm | IP Logged | 11  

I started reading in the late Sixties around the time I started school. I think they were what put me ahead of my peers in reading. Buying began at the same time, very sporadic. No one character, company or genre. i was picking up horror, heroes, westerns and war books. Eventually it was pretty much DC and Marvel superheroes. So I was there for  the rise of Marvel and the end of the Silver Age. 

Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 10 May 2016 at 12:03pm | IP Logged | 12  

I enjoyed much of the 70's and 80's Marvel and DC Comics, with anything by JB, Perez, Simonson, Miller and the rest, but much started to change in 90's and these series pretty much signaled the "end of an era" for me…. 

What's passing for comics these days is very disturbing and sad… what a mess!

-C!

Edited by Charles Valderrama on 10 May 2016 at 12:05pm
Back to Top profile | search | www

<< Prev Page of 3 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version