Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 5 Next >>
Topic: One-artist characters (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 April 2016 at 6:50am | IP Logged | 1  

Mr. Byrne is the definitive artist for Henry Gyrich for me.

The issue is that so many artists have done treatments of so many characters that there are favorites of every version to someone. It might be that the definitive artist on a character may be the ONLY artist on that character... Mr. Byrne on Next Men, Alan Davis on Clandestne, Mike Mignola on Hellboy, etc.

That's not to say that another artist couldn't do a better job... the characters just haven't been done by another artist. And on the same token, it's hard to find characters who have been done exclusively by one artist. Publishers are kinda proprietary that way... it's their character and they get to decide who the artist will be on the book.
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 08 April 2016 at 7:13am | IP Logged | 2  

Mr. Byrne is the definitive artist for Henry Gyrich for me.

••

Now THERE'S a niche!!

Gundars Berzins
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 April 2016 at 7:39am | IP Logged | 3  

I didn't think I'd have one but on second thought, JB's Wolverine.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

marios ksidonas
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 April 2016 at 8:42am | IP Logged | 4  

To Peter Martin
I really wonder how you define right or proper an artist to draw a character!
Did anyone said that Jose Lopez or Adams draws wrong Batman?
It is that some artists seem to draw the characters more proper than
others according to each individual eye and taste!This does not mean that others draw a character wrong or less proper than others!
How you difine the proper or wrong???
An image is an impact to each one of us.Others seem more proper and reaches our likeness more than others .The right or wrong as you mention implies that there are some rules for that...
And at the end who said that a definitive version of a character must be wrong?

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 April 2016 at 9:26am | IP Logged | 5  

Hmmm… certain characters that can only be done with 'appropriate justice' by one artist? Seems to be a loaded question, but I get it. Through my years reading comics and admiring the art, I've found myself thinking…

- JB does WOLVERINE as he should be: his size, his mannerisms, his claws, and the face, like no other. (His Colossus is the best too!)

- John Romita Sr. draws THE Spider-Man that most fans recognized and most artists admire.

- John Romita Jr. defined IRON MAN for me during his first run.

- Marshall Rogers got me interested in Dr. Strange again. Second only to Ditko in my book.

- Superman NEVER looked better than when Garcia Lopez drew him.

- Carmine Infantino and the FLASH.

That's really what sticks out for me.

-C!
Back to Top profile | search | www

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 April 2016 at 9:36am | IP Logged | 6  

Did anyone said that Jose Lopez or Adams draws wrong Batman?
------------------------------------------
You implied it.

Here's how:

The proposition of the thread is defined by the first post, which asked: "Does anybody else have a character that they feel only one artist can get right? (And I'm thinking beyond simply definitive versions, such as, say, Ditko's Spider-Man.)"

So two clear things.

1. We are not discussing definitve version.
2. We are discussing characters that ONLY one artist can get right.

From point 2, if only one artist gets a character right, it is clearly implied everyone else gets the character wrong. 

You said Jim Aparo and Batman.

If you are saying Jim Aparo is the only artist that can draw Batman correctly, you MUST be saying Adams and Garcia-Lopez do not draw him correctly.

If you are not saying Jim Aparo is the only artist that can draw Batman correctly and are simply saying he is your favourite Batman artist, then you posting an opinion that the original poster expressly requested to be excluded.

Jim Aparo was a fine Batman artist. Based on comments I've seen over the years, clearly he was THE Batman artist for a lot of people. But clearly Neal Adams draws an excellent Batman. Garcia-Lopez defines Batman for DC merchandising. So to post Batman in a thread that is expressly about characters that 'only one artist can get right' seems, as I said, to be wonky.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 08 April 2016 at 10:13am | IP Logged | 7  

Isn't this a thread for OPINIONS?

Curiously, I am reminded of once commenting that an actress had gotten a "bad boob job." This being the age of internet contention, I was immediately challenged. Was there such a thing as a GOOD boob job?

But the challenger was missing the point that one can have a bad case of flu without this suggesting there is such a thing as a good case of flu. So, here, we can say So-and-So does the BEST Thus-and-Such without that being an indication that everybody else does a BAD version.

In the context of this thread, even saying "nobody else gets it right" is just harmless OPINION.

Stephen Churay
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 April 2016 at 10:33am | IP Logged | 8  

JB on Doctor Doom. Many have attempted,
only he has succeeded.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Michael Roberts
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 April 2016 at 10:52am | IP Logged | 9  

Georg Perez//Starfire

-----

I agree with this one. Several artists have drawn Starfires I've liked, but
none of them are the same character that George Perez drew.

I'll add, without a hint of facetiousness, Rob Liefeld's Cable. He's a
ridiculous, excessive, grotesque character that only works with Liefeld's
art style.

marios ksidonas
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 April 2016 at 11:04am | IP Logged | 10  

"We are discussing characters that ONLY one artist can get right"
Now seriously....do you believe there is such a thing with catholic acceptance????Only one artist to get it right????
As i said before everything is in the eye of the beholder!And everyone of us has different eyes and view and perspective and many many things.So how do you really expect everyone here to agree with my opinion ,my choices or even yours???The thread asked about the view that each of us believes is the one artist for a character.Did you really expect my list to be identical with others??Or you think that i expect my list to be THE ONE?
I am not so naive to have such expectations and nor the others!
And you are meshing with things "you implied" "you said " etc etc ...about
clearly personal opinions ...
THERE IS NO NEED TO IMPLY FOR ANYTHING OF PERSONAL BELIEF FOR MY OWN AND ONLY SELF.
I hope you get it and there is no need of further explanation.

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 April 2016 at 12:06pm | IP Logged | 11  

Here, we can say So-and-So does the BEST Thus-and-Such without that being an indication that everybody else does a BAD version.
-----------------------------------------------------------
I absolutely agree that we can say someone does a best version without saying everyone else's is wrong.

However, in the context of a response to 'a character that they feel only one artist can get right?' as opposed to character that they feel one artist does best....

You mileage may vary, but my take on the original proposition is clear that we are talking about only one getting it right. Those are the words that were used. The thread is called 'one artist characters'.

And of course it's opinion and of course it's harmless. Just like in the JR Jr thread when anyone with a contrary opinion was shot down because it opposed the original purpose of the thread...

Edited to add: If someone does think Batman is truly a one-artist character, that is -- as you rightly say -- harmless. All I'm responding with, is my view on that opinion. Which is that I don't agree! :)

Edited by Peter Martin on 08 April 2016 at 12:10pm

Charles Valderrama
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 08 April 2016 at 3:21pm | IP Logged | 12  

I found this thread interesting to see different choices and opinions, not once figuring that any other artist got it wrong.

As JB said,  just harmless OPINIONS.

-C!
Back to Top profile | search | www

<< Prev Page of 5 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version