Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum Page of 5 Next >>
Topic: One-artist characters (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 April 2016 at 10:03am | IP Logged | 1  

The Alan Davis thread reminded me of my view that there are certain characters that can only be done with appropriate justice by one artist. Nobody else comes close.

To clarify, for me Davis is the only artist that can depict Captain Britain, in his classic Union Flag costume, with every other version I have seen not looking right.

There are others: JB is the only artist that seems to be able to draw Sasquatch properly, with all other attempts struggling with his fur, face and proportions. Bill Sienkiewicz was the only person that seemed to get Warlock as he was originally intended. Again, other versions didn't look right.

Does anybody else have a character that they feel only one artist can get right? (And I'm thinking beyond simply definitive versions, such as, say, Ditko's Spider-Man.)
Back to Top profile | search

Marc Cheek
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 April 2016 at 11:14am | IP Logged | 2  

As mentioned in the recent commission thread, no one does Galactus as good as JB.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Mark Haslett
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 April 2016 at 11:26am | IP Logged | 3  

It has to be a matter of opinion. In my case, no one since Steve Ditko has been able to really do Dr. Strange right.

I like the Frank Miller version in a single Spider-Man annual, but all others have felt like another guy to me.

Frank Miller and John Byrne emulate Ditko pretty well and evoke the original character, but I don't think I've seen a Dr. Strange story by JB.

Brian Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 April 2016 at 12:10pm | IP Logged | 4  

The three examples Matthew gives are all cases where the artist cited originated the look of the character. In that same line, I haven't seen an E-Man to match Joe Staton's (although JB I think did a nice ilio of him once) and no artist after Joe drew the same affection from me for his New Doom Patrol that he did, a case where it may have been just as well things there were short-lived. Boom Studios "Peanuts" comic is a jab in the eye reminder that really only Charles Schulz did the characters correctly. Who else falls into this...? Bob Oksner's "Angel and the Ape," maybe?

James Reese
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 April 2016 at 12:15pm | IP Logged | 5  

Curt Swan's Superman 

Brian Rhodes
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 April 2016 at 1:06pm | IP Logged | 6  

Sal Buscema's classic Hulk.

I love what JB did with the Hulk in his all-to-brief run, and I have a JB Hulk vs. Thing commission hanging on my wall.

I loved Trimpe's take. Kirby. The Romitas. Big brother, John...

...but the iconic, definitive Hulk for me springs from Sal's phenomenal 10-year run on the book.

Jason Larouse
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 April 2016 at 1:14pm | IP Logged | 7  

Not my favorite characters by any stretch, but to me the symbiotes (particularly Venom and Carnage) only look right when Mark Bagley draws them.  

Also, Hellboy - Mike Mignola. But that's cheating.

Robert Bradley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 April 2016 at 4:47pm | IP Logged | 8  

I don't think we're looking for artists who draw the best version, I think he means a version that is definitive and unmatched.

Most of the long-time characters have had someone else come along who does a very strong version.

I would have to go with someone who has a strong unique art style, on a character who is certainly not A-List or perhaps even not B-List.  Maybe someone like OMAC, the Demon or the New Gods by Kirby, or Shade the Changing Man or the Creeper by Ditko.

Of the example given above I'd have to say Hellboy, Sasquatch and Warlock are the best examples.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Brian Peck
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 April 2016 at 4:58pm | IP Logged | 9  

John Buscema is THE Mephisto artist
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Doug Centers
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 April 2016 at 5:08pm | IP Logged | 10  

Jim Starlin and his Captain Marvel (Mar-Vell).
It seems when I see a Captain Marvel drawn by someone else my mind wants instantly to do a comparison to one of Starlin's classic Marvel poses.

Robert Bradley
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 April 2016 at 5:36pm | IP Logged | 11  

Doug - I love Jim Starlin's Mar-Vell and Adam Warlock but Gil Kane did an incredible job on both of them.

Back to Top profile | search | www

Brian O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 07 April 2016 at 6:05pm | IP Logged | 12  

Will Eisner on the Spirit.

Page of 5 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version