Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 2
Topic: In a Nutshell... (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 25 March 2016 at 11:31am | IP Logged | 1  

On a busy news day, we're lucky to find out about 1/100th of the things happening; usually, the biggest and loudest news item dominates and everything else is shunted aside.

Exactly. 

Also, we aren't privy to every conversation people have had. 'Off-screen', Parker may have talked about the Transformers NON-STOP! We don't necessarily see him in the bath or in bed. Perhaps 'off-screen', he spent a lot of time telling Mary Jane about those nasty Decepticons and the heroic Autobots. We haven't heard them mention that adventure because a) they may have talked about it when we weren't seeing them, and b) it wasn't relevant to the story. If Spider-Man punches Hobgoblin halfway across a bar, he's not likely to say, "By the way, I did team up with the Transformers once!"

You can apply this logic to real life. I was having a meal with a female friend many years ago. A mutual friend saw us when she entered the pub and said something like, "I didn't know you two knew each other." Well, of course you didn't, you'd not seen us together previously, nor had it ever come up in conversation. My friend, Kathy, was someone I saw about once a fortnight for lunch, I didn't spend my daily life walking around saying, "I know Kathy" or "I've met Kathy".

Clumsy though that comparison may be, I hope I've made some sort of sense.

The silliest one, and I hope this wasn't the mainstream mindset, was when the JLA met the Avengers. Someone online had said, "Why haven't they met before?" Well, because EVERYONE has to meet for tor the first time. Kathy and I had a first-time meeting. And as for the "Why haven't the JLA/Avengers mentioned each other previously?" argument, again, how do we know? Perhaps, 'off-screen', the JLA/Avengers mentioned each other during one of their mundane meetings.
Back to Top profile | search

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 26 March 2016 at 9:47pm | IP Logged | 2  

We comic folk have spent generations training fans to think that something isn't real unless it's shown "on camera." Many a bad guy resurrection spun from this particular trope.

This has had the unfortunate side effect of creating a sub-set of fans who demand that EVERYTHING be shown, and ALL the time. Even stuff that really makes no sense in context. Scott not mentioning Jean's death is one of these. (Of course, it doesn't help that a Chris had a habit of mentioning Jean even in scenes that had nothing to do with her. "That traffic light! Like red fire! It reminds me of Jean...!" It creates a false paradigm.)

One of the odder examples was when I had Ororo make an appearance in HIDDEN YEARS. I worked hard to make sure the appearance contradicted nothing, especially X-Lore established since I'd left. Even posted in a couple of X-Men forums, asking for input. (The responses mostly took the form of "There's nothing to stop this but we don't want you to do it!"). Well, "never give the fans what they THINK they want," so I did my story.

And THEN some of the fans tried to invoke the "rule" by saying my story was "impossible" because Jean and Ororo hadn't recognized each other in GSXM 1. Really? Not even during the unseen hours of the flight from the former location of Krakoa to the mansion back in Westchester?

Ah, well!

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 27 March 2016 at 7:10am | IP Logged | 3  

Came across another site where a couple of people made the faux insider observation that I am good as a writer when I am under strict editorial control, but I wreck established characters when given a free hand. Short of being actually present at the various editorial offices over the years, I wonder how anyone could imagine they were able to make such an assessment?

Editorial control can vary a lot between projects. I have been fortunate to work with several editors who hired me precisely because they felt I would not need a lot of "supervision." I have also worked with editors who argued every move I made, often apparently just for the sake of arguing. I wonder how many readers could actually tell which was which based purely on content?

Fred J Chamberlain
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 March 2016 at 7:12am | IP Logged | 4  

Wow... Based on a quick glance at the current state of characters and
drastic hanged in characterization a over he past 10 years alone....
How could anyone say that?
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Eric Sofer
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 27 March 2016 at 7:26am | IP Logged | 5  

Mr. Byrne, I think you're a far, FAR better writer when you wear blue than when you wear red. Honestly, the difference is obvious.

(All of your clothes ARE dyed red and blue to protect them from air friction when you have to write at super-speed, isn't that what I read?)

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

<< Prev Page of 2
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version