Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 4 Next >>
Topic: DC superhero nicknames. (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 March 2016 at 6:18am | IP Logged | 1  

"Last Son of Krypton" is pretty sweet...does that one still apply?
Back to Top profile | search

Bryan White
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 March 2016 at 6:32am | IP Logged | 2  

Hi Paul,

For me,  Superman being the only survivor of this advanced civilization, He's the Man of Tomorrow.  It doesn't sound as cool when we have the potential of "Girl of Tomorrow",  "Dog of Tomorrow", "Horse of Tomorrow", then we have Kandor ....

It probably doesn't make sense, but I think I was influenced by the  de-uniqueing thread

Peter Martin
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 March 2016 at 7:14am | IP Logged | 3  

A nitpick about 'More unique'. Unique is an either/or proposition. Superman is either unique or he is not unique, there aren't varying degrees. Clearly he isn't one of a kind (unfortunately).

Back to the topic at hand, I'm fond of both Dark Knight Detective and the Caped Crusader. The World's Greatest Detective works for me as well (though Sherlock Holmes might take umbrage with this last one). I prefer Man of Steel to Man of Tomorrow.

As to Iron Man being called the Golden Avenger, was he called this when he changed his armour to red and silver? I don't recall it. This armour is usually referred to as the Silver Centurion, though I couldn't say whether that was actually used in the comic book itself

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 18 March 2016 at 7:16am | IP Logged | 4  

"Last Son of Krypton" is pretty sweet...does that one still apply?

••

Altho it continued to be used, that one went out the window the moment other Kryptonian males started showing up. The Phantom Zone prisoners. Kandor.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 18 March 2016 at 7:17am | IP Logged | 5  

I think the Joker would call Robin, "The Boy Hostage" occasionally.

••

Writers being terribly, terribly clever.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 18 March 2016 at 7:19am | IP Logged | 6  

A nitpick about 'More unique'. Unique is an either/or proposition. Superman is either unique or he is not unique, there aren't varying degrees. Clearly he isn't one of a kind (unfortunately).

••

Many people say "unique" when what they mean is "special."

Colin Ian Campbell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 March 2016 at 5:24pm | IP Logged | 7  

My favourite DC nickname is Darknight Detective.  I never cared for the general use of Dark Knight when not referring to Frank Miller's specific variant of Batman, and the form Dark Knight Detective just seems awkward and incorrect to me.

Other nicknames include Batman: the the World's Greatest Detective, Robin: the Teen Wonder, Nightwing: the Twentysomething Wonder, Batman Beyond: the Tomorrow Knight, Superman: the Metropolis Kid, Supergirl: the Maid of Might, Elongated Man: the Ductile Detective, Aquaman: the Sea King, Joker: the Clown Prince of Crime, the Flash: the Fastest Man Alive, the Sultan of Speed, the Monarch of Motion, the Vizier of Velocity, Captain Marvel: the Big Red Cheese, Booster Gold: the Corporate Crusader, Plastic Man: the Pliable Paladin, Flex Mentallo: the Man of Muscle Mystery and (from Captain Carrot and the Zoo Crew) Rubberduck: the Malleable Mallard.

Brian O'Neill
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 March 2016 at 6:19pm | IP Logged | 8  

I remember 'The Pliable Policeman' for Plastic Man.
Speaking of Captain Carrot, Fastback once considered calling himself 'The Terrapin Tornado', and that name turned up once or twice in captions.
'The Scarlet Speedster' for the Flash.

Mike Norris
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 March 2016 at 10:21pm | IP Logged | 9  

QUOTE:
Yeah, Marvel's nicknames were more on the fun side--Shellhead, Hornhead, Winghead, Web-Slinger, Wall-Crawler, the Green Goliath, etc.

DC's nicknames were usually more noble sounding, if duller.  (Which sort of sums up the difference between the two companies right there!)
Marvel's nicknames sounded like the sort a group of friends might come up with about each other. Somewhat mocking but good natured Like "Ginger", "Specs" or "Lefty". DC's sounded like they were invented by people who write newspaper headlines or adverts. Marvel's use of "The Golden Avenger" , "The Star-Spangled Avenger", "The Green Goliath" and similar nicknames lean more into the latter as well. 
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 19 March 2016 at 5:35am | IP Logged | 10  

Yeah, Marvel's nicknames were more on the fun side--Shellhead, Hornhead, Winghead, Web-Slinger, Wall-Crawler, the Green Goliath, etc.

DC's nicknames were usually more noble sounding, if duller. (Which sort of sums up the difference between the two companies right there!)

+++

Marvel's nicknames sounded like the sort a group of friends might come up with about each other. Somewhat mocking but good natured Like "Ginger", "Specs" or "Lefty". DC's sounded like they were invented by people who write newspaper headlines or adverts. Marvel's use of "The Golden Avenger" , "The Star-Spangled Avenger", "The Green Goliath" and similar nicknames lean more into the latter as well.

••

Unfortunately, Marvel's nicknames laid the groundwork for fans using them indiscriminately, often forgetting the context.

It's fine for the Thing to call Doctor Doom "Doomsie," or one of the X-Men to call Magneto "Maggie." But when the fans start doing it, it shows a lack of respect for the characters. And even if it is a small thing, it sets the rot in motion. Go on long enough, and we get the casual contempt so many modern fans show for their addiction.

When the Marvel influence started to creep over to DC, we ended up with nicknames like "Supes" and, even worse, "Bats." cringe

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 19 March 2016 at 6:39am | IP Logged | 11  

I'll mention, too, that many of the abbreviated forms of the names had their beginnings as writers simply saving time. Quicker to type "Spidey" than "Spider-Man." (I've used them that way myself, in margin notes on the art.)

But there is an odd and all too common function in writing comics, in which things that are known to the writers begin to creep in as things that are known by the characters. Classic example: when was Superman dumb enough to tell the World that he had a secret identity? Obviously he didn't, but this knowledge worked its way in because the writers knew it.

So, too, with these abbreviated names. And, as has been pointed out elsewhere, often these incursions make no sense. It's reasonable enough for a writer pounding out a script to refer to Wonder Woman as WW, but it makes to sense to have characters call her that. "Wonder Woman" is actually a shorter syllable count!

Bottom line, for me, I do not notice STAR WARS or HARRY POTTER fans lumbering the characters with cutsie-poo nicknames. No "Hannie" or "Lukie" or "Potty." How about the same respect for the character we claim to love so much in comics?

Wallace Sellars
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 19 March 2016 at 9:03am | IP Logged | 12  

I sometimes use "Cap" for Captain America and (once or twice) "Spidey" for
Spider-Man, but thankfully, haven't felt any desire to abbreviate the names of
other superheroes in a similar fashion.
Back to Top profile | search | www

<< Prev Page of 4 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version