Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 17 Next >>
Topic: Praise for John Romita Jr. (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 March 2016 at 12:38pm | IP Logged | 1  

Wallace, I agree with you
But you may have seen that when he was able to, John kinda "destroyed" the suit, or made it black
Smart move
I'm showing both the pencil and the inked piece 'cause I like both of them
Back to Top profile | search

Eric Ladd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 March 2016 at 2:39pm | IP Logged | 2  

That pencil image makes me think of of Barry Windsor Smith.

Richard White
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 March 2016 at 3:16pm | IP Logged | 3  

The image of Superman lifting the car is superb.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Paul Greer
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 17 March 2016 at 5:20pm | IP Logged | 4  

No disrespect to Klaus but that pencil image is superior to the inked
version.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 17 March 2016 at 5:56pm | IP Logged | 5  

That's true in most cases. Pencils have so much more life in them, due to the shifting grey tones.

Michael Hogan
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 March 2016 at 6:10pm | IP Logged | 6  

JB: "Next person who says my old stuff was better will be drop kicked into the closest live volcano!!"

I concur with you sir; your technique has improved in great measure over the last three decades. (Kudos to you.)

I DO reserve the right to state that I prefer your '80's-era Superman faces to your current ones. Can't really put the reason into words, but I do. That's the only area where I "harken back," so to speak.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Brad Hague
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 17 March 2016 at 6:58pm | IP Logged | 7  

<<You seem to be enjoying your martyrdom so much I almost -- almost -- "hate" to take it away from you, but it's time to put that red sweater back in the closet.
You express a dislike for JR's work. A strong and even irrational dislike (Liefeld? Really?) but you draw up short of saying you HATE it. Unless you mean that and are merely expressing it poorly (Liefeld? REALLY??) you don't get to wrap yourself snugly in the hair shirt I prescribe for the idiots who can only express themselves in extremes.>>

Okay.  To be fair, NO ONE is as bad as Liefeld.  Perhaps I go too far.  And I will not go so far as to say I "hate" anything Mr. Romita Jr. has done.  But my lack of appreciation has caused me to drop titles he has done (most exceptionally Uncanny X-Men which at that time, was tied with Fantastic Four as my very favorite).

I will also say this:  the pencils above look far better to my eye than the inked final product.  The pencils remind me of mid-80's Frank Miller and if that is the case, I can understand that.

I have a hard time expressing exactly what it is about JRJr's work that doesn't work for me but I will express it as best as I can.  I recently watched some of my children play a videogame called "Minecraft."  The characters are very blocky almost like Legos.  They obviously do not appear real.

This is kind of how I feel when viewing JRJr's work in comics.  Things feel blocky.  Like they are made of Legos.  And the facial expressions are difficult for me to differentiate.

Now as for the martyr thing.  Okay.  Perhaps I laid it on a little thick.  I apologize.  I do not mean to be facetious.  But I felt as if I in anyway dared to criticize the man, I could not.  I hesitated quite a while before posting.  I value this forum and enjoy participating in it.  I did not want to go overboard and break any rules.  I don't think I did.  But I also wanted to engage in what appeared to be a one-sided conversation.

Who knows, for a long time I did not appreciate Joe Kubert's work and I couldn't understand people who loved him.  He was just too loose.  Then one day I "got it."

Maybe that will happen someday with Junior.  That being said, I always admired the steady consistency and simplicity of Senior's work.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 17 March 2016 at 8:51pm | IP Logged | 8  

I DO reserve the right to state that I prefer your '80's-era Superman faces to your current ones. Can't really put the reason into words, but I do. That's the only area where I "harken back," so to speak.

••

Interesting. I am not conscious of doing anything different!

James Howell
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 March 2016 at 3:18am | IP Logged | 9  

Rob Liefeld suffers from the same thing John Romita Jr. does in terms of opinions on the internet. Fanboys judging their art talent in total. based on mistakes in their art done years, or even decades ago.

No artist is perfect, and all artists have bad days, you just don't always see their "bad days" published.

If I never see that Liefeld Captain America side pose again, it'll be too soon, but it keeps showing up on online "lists" as a reason to excoriate Liefeld.

But have they bothered to see what Rob has done recently?

Internet fans also confuse not liking an art style, with saying an artist is incompetent.

One is not necessarily related to the other.

BTW JRJr's all-too short run with Dan Jurgens on The Mighty Thor, was GREAT.

Edited by James Howell on 18 March 2016 at 3:19am

Marc Cheek
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 March 2016 at 4:27am | IP Logged | 10  

BTW JRJr's all-too short run with Dan Jurgens on The Mighty Thor, was GREAT.

Indeed!

Paul Greer
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 18 March 2016 at 4:45am | IP Logged | 11  

JRJr's run on Thor seems to be overlooked when talking about his
greatest runs. Loved his Thor.

Would love to see him take on Kirby's 4th World characters one day.
That Amalgam book was not enough.

James Woodcock
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 18 March 2016 at 5:52am | IP Logged | 12  

Ah, The Walt Simonson method of Thor throwing a punch. Plant feet six feet apart, throw punch.

JRjr does it so well

<< Prev Page of 17 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version