Active Topics | Member List | Search | Help | Register | Login
The John Byrne Forum
Byrne Robotics > The John Byrne Forum << Prev Page of 17 Next >>
Topic: Praise for John Romita Jr. (Topic Closed Topic Closed) Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 March 2016 at 12:35pm | IP Logged | 1  

I have enjoyed JR JR's work since I first saw his art on "Iron Man." It's been fun watching him develop his style through the years.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Petter Myhr Ness
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 March 2016 at 12:51pm | IP Logged | 2  

One of the saddest things was finally having JR JR draw Superman - only for it to be the "New 52" Superman. Not even a man of his considerable talents could make that outfit look good.
Back to Top profile | search

Eric Ladd
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 March 2016 at 1:03pm | IP Logged | 3  

I didn't notice JR Jr's work until he was on Daredevil. I didn't buy Iron Man so I missed out on his early recognition. I can remember finally figuring out that how his gray areas were being inked was the biggest difference for me. Comics have a long history of using crossed lines or "hatching" to achieve gray areas on a form, but JR Jr was the first artist I noticed using extensive parallel lines to create grays or "shadows".

I'm not sure if this was a change in how he was inked or how he was doing pencils, but I suspect this time period in the late 1980's is where he found his own voice as JB mentioned. When I look back at his history at Marvel I am surprised to now realize the books I read as a little kid were done by him. Can you imagine growing up in the shadow of his father and STILL making a name for himself?

He is one of the comic artists I have never met, but hope to in the future.

Edited by Eric Ladd on 15 March 2016 at 1:04pm

Richard White
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 March 2016 at 1:06pm | IP Logged | 4  

I read one of the scripts that he had to draw a Superman issue from, and found the level of detail a bit bizarre. It instructed JR on what panel layouts there should be, the placement of the figures and so on..I just couldn't imagine it would be that much fun to draw.

To his credit, I still found his art in his recent Superman run to be very dynamic.
Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Paul Greer
Byrne Robotics Security

Posted: 15 March 2016 at 1:06pm | IP Logged | 5  

He is one of my all time favorite artists. If anyone could figure out how
to make watching paint dry exciting, he would be the one. His
storytelling ability ranks with the all time greats.

John Byrne
Grumpy Old Guy

Posted: 15 March 2016 at 1:14pm | IP Logged | 6  

I read one of the scripts that he had to draw a Superman issue from, and found the level of detail a bit bizarre. It instructed JR on what panel layouts there should be, the placement of the figures and so on..I just couldn't imagine it would be that much fun to draw.

••

On one of our issues of IRON MAN, I gave JR a five or six page fight scene to draw. My plot read thus: FIGHT!!

Learning of this, A Certain Writer declared "That's not writing! It's TYPING!"

Yes -- because I am going to tell John Romita Jr. how to draw!!!

(As I recall, a number of Writers were bent out of shape over my giving Johnny first place in the credits. So important to them to cling to the idea that they have the really IMPORTANT job.)

John Popa
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 March 2016 at 1:14pm | IP Logged | 7  

JR JR. was the artist on X-Men when I started reading comics (his first run on the title.) I instantly became a huge fan. I do think when we went over to Daredevil and Punisher that his work really took an exciting turn and has kept going ever since.

I also met him way back in the early 90's at a Chicago Con where people were heaping piles of Uncanny #300 for him to sign (it had a shiny cover and everything.) He was signing as fast as he could and being very polite but when I brought up my banged up copy of Uncanny #195, my first comic ever and the only one I was getting signed, he definitely stopped and had a nice chat with me - not so long to slow the line to a halt, but long enough to notice I was bringing something a little more personal to get signed.

Stephen Churay
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 March 2016 at 2:28pm | IP Logged | 8  

I find that people who seem to have a
strong dislike for Jr.Jr.'s work, dislike
his rendering style. That's fair, to each
their own. But, my idea of a comic book
artist is a storyteller. He's second to
none in this area.
Back to Top profile | search e-mail

Richard White
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 March 2016 at 2:38pm | IP Logged | 9  

"On one of our issues of IRON MAN, I gave JR a five or six page fight scene to draw. My plot read thus: FIGHT!!"

That's got to be great for the artist though. You still get to plot and he gets to bring his imagination and strength as an artist to the page, win win!

Back to Top profile | search | www e-mail

Sean Watson
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 March 2016 at 2:51pm | IP Logged | 10  

Romita JR is an outstanding artist!!!!! He is my favorite artist for Spider-man! I try to get every thing that he does. The man is a master storyteller hands down.

Richard Stevens
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 March 2016 at 3:40pm | IP Logged | 11  

The JRJR / JB run of Iron Man made me a fan of the character. What a ridiculously good book that was.
Back to Top profile | search | www

Brian Miller
Byrne Robotics Member

Posted: 15 March 2016 at 7:38pm | IP Logged | 12  

JRJR is easily in my top 3 comic artists. Been a fan since he started on UXM. Well, before that, as I had a handful of ASM issues by him before he was on the X-Men book, but I didn't realize it was him until later. 

He's the absolute best (no offense JB!) at foreshortening on Spider-Man's costume and the webs. 

<< Prev Page of 17 Next >>
  Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version